Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Dollhouse -- "Briar Rose" -- 5/1/09

Dollhouse

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Alan Tudyk guest stars as the Dollhouse designer, who finds himself the focus of Ballard's investigation. Meanwhile, Echo helps a young girl cope with her painful past; Adelle searches the attic for answers; and Alpha reveals himself.

This is episode 11. Next week (May 8th) is the season/series finale as alot of you already know since Prison Break is airing a 2 hour series finale on May 15th.

Unrelated to this episode, I just learned from a friend of mine who's husband works as a Producer with the Los Angeles Lakers TV broadcasts that Eliza Dushku is currently dating Former Laker/Celtic Rick Fox. Apparently they have been seen together quite often at Staples Center during games that Rick has been working for FOX Sports Net as a TV analyst.
Old 05-01-09, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Briar Rose" -- 5/1/09

So 12 episodes are going to air, but there will be 14 on the dvd set? From what I've read, there is the unaired pilot that was chopped up and used throughout the other episodes and then there is a post apocalyptic episode using new characters. Is that right?
Old 05-01-09, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Unrelated to this episode, I just learned from a friend of mine who's husband works as a Producer with the Los Angeles Lakers TV broadcasts that Eliza Dushku is currently dating Former Laker/Celtic Rick Fox. Apparently they have been seen together quite often at Staples Center during games that Rick has been working for FOX Sports Net as a TV analyst.
I was under the impression Dushku was a lesbian. This is news to me! I am back in the running again woo hoo!
Old 05-01-09, 11:47 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Super J
So 12 episodes are going to air, but there will be 14 on the dvd set? From what I've read, there is the unaired pilot that was chopped up and used throughout the other episodes and then there is a post apocalyptic episode using new characters. Is that right?
Correct.

I hope this comes back; it still has issues, but it got a lot better in its 2nd half and I would love to see where it goes.
Old 05-01-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy Crap! I was honestly blown away by that twist this was very good although it strayed away from the premise of the show still great. And Alan Tudyk did a brilliant job.
Old 05-01-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

This was a really good episode! Much better than last weeks. The stoner was so annoying but when it was revealed who he really was (alpha) it all finally came together. Never really expected that reveal. Next weeks looks to be a good season finale.
Old 05-01-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that I've been vastly underappreciating Alan Tudyk's comedic talents. He was absolutely great in this episode.

Whoa to the ending.

And I just don't know how Rick Fox does it. The guy has some talent for getting women.
Old 05-01-09, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When he was walking down the stairs it was great
Old 05-01-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Holy shit that was a great episode. I was hating the beginning with the little girl assignment but it just got so much better. I obviously thought Ballard was going to be Alpha and while I didn't think I would like it if they made Alpha a character we hadn't seen before I think they managed to pull it off.

Can't wait until next week.
Old 05-01-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I was under the impression Dushku was a lesbian. This is news to me! I am back in the running again woo hoo!
For the record, fantasies do not count as facts. I repeat, fantasies do NOT count as facts.
Old 05-01-09, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tudyk's been working out!

While the second half captured most of my attention, I was just sort of amazed at how easy it was for Ballard and Kepler to infiltrate the Dollhouse, genius notwithstanding.

Dichen (Sierra) is the more entertaining active of the group, even though Victor's Dominic was fun to watch. Poor Victor, gonna have to wear the same kind of cut make-up as Amy Acker if the show returns next season (until some plastic surgery break-through fixed his face).
Old 05-02-09, 12:07 AM

I love this show!

Best episode yet. Alan Tudyk is brilliant. This is the best performance I've ever seen him give, even if I saw the twist coming the second his face showed up on the computer screen.
It still had the intended impact, and I didn't think Dr. Saunders was gonna make it through their encounter.
Actually, I suppose it's possible she didn't, since we didn't see what happened, but I hope not. Amy Acker is one of the main reasons I started watching.

Great stuff all around. The sneaking into the Dollhouse(especially Tudyk walking down the stairs), Ballard vs. Boyd, The Return of Mr. Dominic(sort of). Wow, I'm satisfied.
Old 05-02-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
While the second half captured most of my attention, I was just sort of amazed at how easy it was for Ballard and Kepler to infiltrate the Dollhouse, genius notwithstanding.
That was a bit amazing... well that and Mr 'how many times can I keep this gun trained on you but close enough so you can knock it out of my hand' Head of Security kept prolonging the fight. I found it amazingly ironic after watching a re-run of Leverage just a few hours earlier there was a comment about how a bad guy made the mistake most folks do with a gun... hold it too close.

Like MHG mentioned Wash (Firefly), ummm Alpha, was really annoying until the reveal and it suddenly it made sense and fit. For those liking his comedic talents, he was also pretty good in A Knight's Tale.

This show however, remains a tease - there are pockets of really good stories and plot and decent character development and then there are just voids at other points during some of the shows. Maybe it will tighten up if there is a second season, but I still feel there was just a lot of 'white noise' in the beginning of the season and it could be a lot further along on the storyline, and maybe a bit closer to securing a second season. Hopefully. the season finale will end on a strong point.
Old 05-02-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

At least the preview for next weeks show billed it as the Season Finale, and not the Series Finale, so maybe there's a chance that we'll see a second season.. I'm really enjoying it!
Old 05-02-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I loved Alan Tudyk throughout this whole episode. He was hilarious and basically delivering Topher-esque lines the way the guy playing Topher cannot. However I while admit that I liked how they toned Topher down and I did like his delivery of "hey, you, person that I've never seen here before". And the stairs scene was a riot.

I saw the twist coming the moment I saw his arms (prior to that I was still leaning towards the Ballard as Alpha theory). He was just in too good shape to be a a whiney shut in and a stoner. Then when he put on the Active's shirt I knew.

That said, how did Ballard know how easy it would be to interact with an Active during their blank state? Had he ever seen an Active like that before?

I'm still not entirely sold on the premise of the show but it's become a guilty pleasure and I'd like to see it back for another season. But if Fox makes a choice between this and Terminator, I'd rather keep Terminator.
Old 05-02-09, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Tudyk's been working out!
He had to for continuity reasons.

In this new EW interview, he states:

Speaking of which, you look like you put on some muscle for the part.

TUDYK: Yes, because they cast a damn body double that looks like the Hulk! Joss showed me the first episode where you see Alpha from behind and I was like, "Oh my God. I've got a lot of work to do." But I have a Ned Flanders kind of body. When I'm wearing baggy clothes you wouldn't expect that I have any muscle. Just like in tonight's episode. I don't look too wildly in shape at first. It's when I put on the tight shirt that you see it.
Full interview here:

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/05/...use-exclu.html
Old 05-02-09, 02:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Loved Stoner Tudyk
"Medicinal Carrots"
Old 05-02-09, 02:18 AM

I'm surprised no one's pointed this out yet:
Whiskey!
Old 05-02-09, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Was Alpha hinting that the doctor (Amy Acker) was actually a doll, or was I reading too much into that?

Plus, that little girl looked A LOT like Eminem.

P.S. Was Whiskey significant as to that he was calling out a doll's name, or was it just a joke?
Old 05-02-09, 03:17 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great episode.

Originally Posted by JTH182
Was Alpha hinting that the doctor (Amy Acker) was actually a doll, or was I reading too much into that?

P.S. Was Whiskey significant as to that he was calling out a doll's name, or was it just a joke?
Both things suggest pretty heavily that Saunders is/was a doll (since Dominic/Victor was looking at Saunders when he said it, and DeWitt was the one who quickly said "He wants a drink").
Old 05-02-09, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sb5
Great episode.

Both things suggest pretty heavily that Saunders is/was a doll (since Dominic/Victor was looking at Saunders when he said it, and DeWitt was the one who quickly said "He wants a drink").

Ah, very true!

This show has really grown on me after its slow start. I'm glad I gave Joss the benefit of the doubt and stuck with it. I hope it comes back. Next week's episode should be crazy!
Old 05-02-09, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by tofu
I think that I've been vastly underappreciating Alan Tudyk's comedic talents. He was absolutely great in this episode.
He was recently in this.
Old 05-02-09, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by sb5
Great episode.

And don't forget how Alpha was later taunting Saunders about wether or not she always wanted to be a doctor.

If Saunders is indeed a Doll, she's the equivalent of a cut up whore in the Old West (think Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven for example).

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-02-09 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-02-09, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp

I saw the twist coming the moment I saw his arms (prior to that I was still leaning towards the Ballard as Alpha theory). He was just in too good shape to be a a whiney shut in and a stoner. Then when he put on the Active's shirt I knew.
I noticed the arms too, but dismissed it thinking Tudyk might be in shape for some other project, so the reveal caught me by surprise. He was seriously great in the episode.
Old 05-02-09, 08:29 AM

GREAT episode. Last week's had a good concept and humor but fumbled big time, but this kicks the shit out of everything, even Man on the Street and Spy in the House of Love. Even Dushku's acting (which I don't criticize half as much as most but is still wildly inconsistent) was right on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.