Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

remake: ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the Comic- Con they are reporting MTV is remaking THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. No cast yet or date.
Old 07-25-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
Wow. What a bad idea.
Old 07-25-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would they want to do that. I agree a very bad idea.
Old 07-25-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they can get Joss Whedon to direct and Anthony Stewart Head as Frankenfurter, I'm there. Otherwise, not so much.
Old 07-25-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, wait up guys. Think about it. We can do away with watching that lame old movie (who remembers anything made in the 70's anymore?) and get a cool modern update, possibly starring some of the hottest up and coming rappers in the biz. I see major potential here. I hope 50 Cent is cast!

..... and in case you couldn't tell I'm being sarcastic. Fuck this idea.
Old 07-25-08, 06:59 PM
Banned

If I could wish one thing out of existence it could very possible be MTV.
Old 07-25-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
No.
Old 07-25-08, 07:18 PM

They have been talking for years about a remake. At one time it got close to having Ashton Kutcher cast as Brad and thats as far at it got. Richard O'Brien a couple of years ago talked about doing a sequel of sorts, and have it be a direct sequel unlike Shock Treament *which I love btw*. One thing, I've heard that MTV is making this a made for tv film that it will run on MTV, I havn't heard anything as to if this will be coming to theaters. Two, if they have to remake this, and from what it sounds like that O'Brien and Lou Adler are going to be a part of this, they need to push for a couple of things. One is Tim Burton needs to direct this. He's the only person I can think of that can get away with making this and making it right. He proved with Sweeny Todd that he can make a musical. Two, the only person in their right mind that can get away with pulling off Frank-N-Furter is Johnny Deep. Gay.com and Planet Out have been posting that their dream casting is Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy, and I say NO WAY. Deep could pull this off and not walk all over Tim Curry's portrail. Three, if they would do it, cast Meatloaf as Dr. Everett Von Scott *I think at one time he played the role on stage*, Tim as the Criminologist, and have Sarandon and Bostwick cameo as part of the Transylvanians party goers. I don't know who could play Riff, but I know that Helena Bonham Carter could pull off Magenta pretty well. What other casting can we think of?
Old 07-25-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember, this was in the planning stages years ago to be a made-for-television movie on FOX of all places with the director of Priscilla at helm.

To be honest, I feel this is something that should be done on the big screen, only because it might be our only chance to see a filmed version of Rocky Horror Gets His Heels or Revenge of the Old Queen (whichever O'Brien prefers). Don't get me wrong, I love Shock Treatment, but I would love to see something done with all the unused material that's been lying around for decades.
Old 07-25-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Hey, wait up guys. Think about it. We can do away with watching that lame old movie (who remembers anything made in the 70's anymore?) and get a cool modern update, possibly starring some of the hottest up and coming rappers in the biz. I see major potential here. I hope 50 Cent is cast!
I can't believe someone thinks this is a good idea. Man...
Old 07-25-08, 08:14 PM

Remember, this was in the planning stages years ago to be a made-for-television movie on FOX of all places with the director of Priscilla at helm.
I forgot about that was the first we had heard of a remake. That had to have been the mid 90's I think when Rocky started to get big again around the time of the 20th anniversary. Has the man that made Priscilla even made anything after it? I remember when there were people that would get vocal about which midnight movie was better, Priscilla or Rocky, and they even spoofed it on The Drew Carrey Show. The closest I think there ever came to anything being set in stone was when they were in talks with Ashton Kutcher to act and produce a remake around the time he and Eric McCormack did that VH1 speical for the 25th anniversary.
Old 07-25-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
They already did, and it was called "Hedwig and the Angry Inch." Far better than any remake could've been.
Old 07-25-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
They already did, and it was called "Hedwig and the Angry Inch." Far better than any remake could've been.
Um.

No?

Don't get me wrong, Hedwig and the Angry Inch was one of the best movies released in it's year (amongst many), but it's no Rocky Horror.
Old 07-25-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
Tim Burton needs to direct this.
You know I was gonna suggest this... as a joke... Tim Burton needs to lay off the remakes/re-imaginings. For real. And this coming from someone who doesn't mind Planet Of The Apes and loves Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. You just know he'll give Frank'n'furter a crazy backstory about a father who used to dress him up like a girl cuz that's what he always wanted...

Two, the only person in their right mind that can get away with pulling off Frank-N-Furter is Johnny Deep.
Unfortunately, Johnny Deep is busy filming Ed's Wood.

K
Old 07-25-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
Unfortunately, Johnny Deep is busy filming Ed's Wood.

K
I don't get it...
Old 07-26-08, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
There are some movies out there that's best not re-made and this is one of them. A pure classic!

KJ
Old 07-26-08, 04:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by K&AJones
There are some movies out there that's best not re-made and this is one of them. A pure classic!

How are the dvd sales on this movie?
I remember when the movie played on FOX with commericals and treated as a big event in the 90's. Like it was going to be a yearly event like WIZARD OF OZ, WONDERFUL LIFE. So classic it doesn't seem. It had it's audience at midnight with the collage crowd.

KJ
Old 07-26-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by naitram
I don't get it...
I truly hope you're kidding.

K
Old 07-26-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
I don't get it...
Old 07-27-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the only person in their right mind that can get away with pulling off Frank-N-Furter is Johnny Deep.
F * * K DEPP!!! Depp is NOT the frontrunner for EVERY ROLE THAT'S EVER WRITTEN.

Sorry. I love Depp and if Blood hadn't come out , would have loved to see him win for Sweeney Todd, but I'm incredibly tired of hearing Johnny Depp's name for EVERYTHING.

My ideal cast for this Godforsake abortion to come is:

Hugh Jackman - Frank
Amy Adams - Janet
Patrick Wilson - Brad
Sacha Baron Cohen - Riff Raff
Idina Menzel - Magenta
Jayne Wisner - Columbia
Reichen Lehmkuhl - Rocky
Jack Black - Eddie
Michael Gambon - Dr. Scott
Jim Broadbent - The Criminologist
Old 07-27-08, 04:03 AM

My brother told me if they are going to do this just cast an unknown in the role of Frank. Thats the best way I go I think. Now that I think of it Jackman would work better than Depp. It would be something that would be so out of the blue and something that he could pull off. If not Jackman, what about Ewan McGregor? I still think the best way to go is not to remake it at all. The first one is magic.
How are the dvd sales on this movie?
I remember when the movie played on FOX with commericals and treated as a big event in the 90's. Like it was going to be a yearly event like WIZARD OF OZ, WONDERFUL LIFE. So classic it doesn't seem. It had it's audience at midnight with the collage crowd.
I think the dvd sales were average. I can't remember how the rating were when Fox had it on tv. I know the first showning that they did they ran it with the audience participation track that I think is the one thats on the dvd.
Old 07-27-08, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
F * * K DEPP!!! Depp is NOT the frontrunner for EVERY ROLE THAT'S EVER WRITTEN.

Sorry. I love Depp and if Blood hadn't come out , would have loved to see him win for Sweeney Todd, but I'm incredibly tired of hearing Johnny Depp's name for EVERYTHING.

My ideal cast for this Godforsake abortion to come is:

Hugh Jackman - Frank
Amy Adams - Janet
Patrick Wilson - Brad
Sacha Baron Cohen - Riff Raff
Idina Menzel - Magenta
Jayne Wisner - Columbia
Reichen Lehmkuhl - Rocky
Jack Black - Eddie
Michael Gambon - Dr. Scott
Jim Broadbent - The Criminologist
Nice! But we both know this wont happen, and jesus why remake this?
Old 07-27-08, 04:42 AM
Banned

Since HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL got those monster ratings Hollywood has been pumping out musicals every year.
Old 07-27-08, 09:33 AM

I'd love to see a remake but I would HATE the remake if Johnny Depp played Franknfurter... Marilyn Manson would be a WAY better choice!! Sweeney Todd sucked btw.
Old 07-27-08, 09:56 AM
Banned

I think they should do it with all puppets like team America.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.