Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do people really pay to see a movie just because a girl in it is hot?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking a film class and this was debated. It made sense in the 40s and 50s when there was limited media so Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield made careers but as more media was developed like TV, internet, etc does it still have the same appeal? Attractive women will always be on film but is that the sole purpose for seeing a movie?
Old 04-25-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Do people really pay to see a movie just because a girl in it is hot?

I dunno. To hear some guys (and girls) talk, I'd be inclined to say yes. However, if you're asking for individual responses rather than generalizations, I'd say no.

If I see a movie I like that happens to have a hot looking woman in it, I view her inclusion as a bonus. But I wont sit through a crappy movie or even consider watching a movie I'm not interested in simply because X hottie is in it. If I want to stare at a hot babe, I can leaf through a magazine or do a search on the internet. Heck, I can go to the mall or beach if I'm not looking for a particular hottie.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-25-09 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-25-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

That new movie Obsessed will probably have a lot of men going to see it. It does suck that the movie is pg-13 which in that case i'll just wait till dvd

Seriously that movie looks like crap and i wouldn't spend a dime on it just for the hot actresses.
Old 04-25-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely not.

If I want to see a hot girl, I'll use the internet.
Old 04-25-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
That new movie Obsessed will probably have a lot of men going to see it. It does suck that the movie is pg-13 which in that case i'll just wait till dvd

Seriously that movie looks like crap and i wouldn't spend a dime on it just for the hot actresses.
17% on Rottentomatoes.com
Old 04-25-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

If the movie looks like crap and you wouldn't spend a dime to see the hot actresses, then what are you spending money on the DVD for?
Old 04-25-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

If there was a movie with only a topless Scarlett Johansson giggling her boobs for 90 mins at the camera, I would SO pay to see it.
Old 04-25-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
If the movie looks like crap and you wouldn't spend a dime to see the hot actresses, then what are you spending money on the DVD for?
I'm not planning to buy the dvd. Hence the
Old 04-25-09, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
If there was a movie with only a topless Scarlett Johansson jiggling her boobs for 90 mins at the camera, I would SO pay to see it.
If that movie didn't clean up at the Oscars, it would be the greatest travesty ever.

In answer to the original question, I think people who usually 'crush' on a certain actress usually think she's got some other qualities that would make a performance interesting. I don't think I'd totally go out of my way to see the movie, but I'd be more inclined to see it if I'm in the mood to take a chance on something new (there's movies with Scarlett I haven't seen yet, even though I've had them checked out from the library, or recorded on DVR...but I know I will see them eventually).
Old 04-25-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, people will see a movie just because a girl in it is hot and/or a guy in it is funny. This has always been true and is truer than ever now.

Note: this isn't the only reason people go to films.
Old 04-25-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I think around the time I was around 20 or so, pre-Internet era, some friends and I paid to go see the movie SIRENS because Elle Macpherson gets totally nekkid in it.

Biggest piece of shit movie I've ever seen. Worse than Pol Pot. I could have flipped the proverbial bacon-trampoline for free.
Old 04-25-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

It depends if the girl you are going to see is naked in the movie.
Old 04-25-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Nobody I know.

Last time that a good-looking girl even stuck with me, was Natascha McElhone is Solaris. Something about Clooney, McElhone, Soderberg and James Cameron working altogether is so sexy and so awesome. It was a pretty and good movie to boot.
Old 04-25-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I wrote a negative review of Transformers a few years back and got an angry email, who was upset in part because I didn't point out how hot Megan Fox is, and the movie was worth $10 just for her bending over under the car hood.

My response was something like "Discover Google, save $10."
Old 04-25-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Here's another question:

Why do people pay to see crappy films on opening weekend even if they know the movie is probably going to be crap? (I can't count the number of times I've read stuff like "that trailer looks pretty bad but I'll be there on opening night anyway!" or other variations).

The internet (in this case movie forums) has become the equivalent of the "office cooler talk" where people rush to see a film in theaters so they can discuss it with all the other folks who have also rushed to see it. If you only see a film 6 months or a year later, you obviously can't participate in this virtual social experience which some find so enriching.

Of course, by paying to see crappy films in theaters, these people also ensure that more crappy films will be made in the future so they really should have their moviegoing privileges revoked.
Old 04-25-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know somebody who will sit through sheer crap just to watch a good looking woman. I never understood it...if I want to look at the hot girl, there's pictures online. I don't need to sit through a crappy movie to accomplish seeing what she looks like.
Old 04-25-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone remember the Elizabeth Hurley/Brendan Fraser movie "Bedazzled"?

At the time of release, there were a lot of posters in public areas like Buses and Bus stops that featured Hurley in red underwear and apparently a lot of boys (12 and older) went to see it and ultimately regretted it - because of that poster.

Sounds like the stupidest possible reason to pay to see a movie in theaters, but it does happen.

If people will pay to see a movie because they know a certain trailer is attached (then walk out when the trailer's over and not watch the movie they paid for), then people will pay to see a movie for this.
Old 04-25-09, 12:13 PM

If there's the slightest chance of boob, yes.

On a more serious note, yes.

I mean, no.
Old 04-25-09, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by AVP77
In answer to the original question, I think people who usually 'crush' on a certain actress usually think she's got some other qualities that would make a performance interesting.
This is what I'll do. Julianne Moore, Helena Bonham Carter, Christina Ricci and Catherine Keener are a few names that will greatly increase the chance of me seeing a movie. Do I think they're all "hot"? (yes) It's more than that- I like what they bring to the roles they're in. The fact that they're easy on the eyes (to me), probably adds to their appeal. But it's not the only thing. I could think of many other hot actresses who I wouldn't be overly influenced on seeing a movie just because they are in it. (Ashley Judd and Megan Fox are a couple that spring to mind)
Old 04-25-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wanna know why you make a movie like this and have it be PG-13.
Old 04-25-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rent or buy a movie for $5 or less for a hot woman if the movie seemed mildly intriguing on other levels as well (i.e. I could let a hot woman be the swaying vote). I wouldn't see a movie in theaters because of it.
Old 04-25-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember all of the people who went to go see Swordfish because Halle Berry showed her tits.

= J
Old 04-25-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I won't pay to see a bad movie with a hot girl, but I sure will tune in if it is on HBO
Old 04-25-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tscott
This is what I'll do. Julianne Moore, Helena Bonham Carter, Christina Ricci and Catherine Keener are a few names that will greatly increase the chance of me seeing a movie. Do I think they're all "hot"? (yes) It's more than that- I like what they bring to the roles they're in. The fact that they're easy on the eyes (to me), probably adds to their appeal. But it's not the only thing. I could think of many other hot actresses who I wouldn't be overly influenced on seeing a movie just because they are in it. (Ashley Judd and Megan Fox are a couple that spring to mind)
Well, there are certainly some that pick movies that tend to be better than most, that is for sure. But their hotness does not add to the role...they just pick better movies to be in.
Old 04-25-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not unless I know they will be naked. But even at that, if it looks like a shity movie, I won't see it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.