TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CSI: -- "If I Had a Hammer" -- 4/23/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
CSI: -- "If I Had a Hammer" -- 4/23/09

Preview:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e70PD4v6GgE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e70PD4v6GgE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

A convicted murderer (Henry Thomas), jailed for killing an elderly man in 1991, claims that his guilty verdict was based on inaccurate evidence, false testimony and errors made by Catherine, who was working her first solo case. Catherine reinvestigates the crime and slowly sees her case unraveling.

We now return you back to a "Normal" CSI episode. Looks like an interesting episode.
Old 04-24-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CSI: -- "If I Had a Hammer" -- 4/23/09

Originally Posted by DJariya
We now return you back to a "Normal" CSI episode. Looks like an interesting episode.
Hmm, did anyone here actually watch it?

I thought it was pretty good. Took me a while to recognize "Elliott" from E.T. (and I barely recognized Charlotte Ross with her clothes on).
Old 04-24-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Charlotte Ross still looks pretty milfy.
Old 04-24-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought it was pretty good, too. It strained credibility a bit that they would be able to collect 18-year-old evidence from the car and the demolished crime scene. I also gave a big eyeroll to the old audio analysis fantasy that they use on all these type of shows. I didn't know which way the case was going to go (guilty or not) until the end.
Old 04-24-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Charlotte Ross still looks pretty milfy.
Old 04-25-09, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quatermass
It strained credibility a bit that they would be able to collect 18-year-old evidence from the car and the demolished crime scene.
Or a fingerprint in blood on a hammer that had been exposed to the elements for years.
Old 04-26-09, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Though this was a pretty good episode. I think it was cool of the writers to give a Catherine-oriented episode to re-visit an old case of hers and have her doubt herself as a CSI. I don't know why some people don't like Catherine. I've always enjoyed her in the show.

Charlotte Ross still looks amazing at 41. I've missed her on TV since she quit NYPD Blue 5 years ago to start a family.
Old 04-26-09, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Or a fingerprint in blood on a hammer that had been exposed to the elements for years.
Or that the car was prominently featured in the yearbook with a photo of the two of them... Or that she still actually had the car... There were too many of these for me this episode
Old 04-27-09, 06:17 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

I turned it off after 25 mins, too many problems with this.

the rock?
they still had the rug?
The outline of the hammer on the rug?
the hammer in the tree took the cake.

what kind of storage do they have to keep all the evidence from all the cases? this was an 18year old case.
Old 04-27-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

usually in murder cases they keep the evidence due to the appeals process.
Old 05-04-09, 12:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
They did try to acknowledge that by saying it was encased by the tree, almost fossilized... But that was stretching it.
Old 05-04-09, 12:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
They did try to acknowledge that by saying it was encased by the tree, almost fossilized... But that was stretching it.
What about the years it took for the bark to grow around the hammer - it was still exposed to the rain, wind storms, animals, and hot sun for years.

I think they blew a great opportunity - to have modern technology help free an innocent man.

all the evidence was perfectly preserved in "cold" storage / Isolating a "ping" engine noise from an analog 911 call, yearbook photo with both suspects, car, licence plate.

We saw on one episode that when they went into storage to pull a box of evidence - that mice had made a nest out of the papers - this to me is more realistic. That carpet would have been old/moldy/and falling apart from dry rot.
Old 05-04-09, 12:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

oh yeah, i agree it was still exposed - that's whay i said they were still stretching it... but at least they tried to acknowledge it.