Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What is DVE-Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-00, 11:45 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What in the world is DVD-Audio? I have seen it mentioned several times here and as I do not really have time to keep up with everything, am somewhat ignorant.
Old 05-04-00, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD-Audio is a new format designed for publishing audio content on a DVD disc. It may eventually replace CD-Audio, but that remains to be seen.

The specs for DVD-Audio are significantly better than CD-Audio.

Typical sample rates for DVD-Audio are 96 Khz versus 44.1 Khz for CD.

Typical sample size for DVD-Audio is 24 bits versus 16 bits for CD.

DVD-Audio will support surround sound channels while CD is typically stereo.

DVD-Audio also includes provisions for displaying a series of still images on a monitor (TV or PC) during the audio playback.

A few DVD-Audio players and titles have been released, but most content owners are waiting for the completion of the new CSS-2 copy protection scheme before they publish their content on DVD-Audio. DVD-Audio was originally supposed to use CSS for copy protection but once that was hacked, it caused about a six month delay in bringing DVD-Audio to market so the equipment manufacturers could come up with a better copy protection algorithm.

DVD-Audio does sound much better than CD-Audio, even to people who are not audiophiles, but it remains to be seen if consumers are willing to invest in new players and new discs when in general they are quite happy with CD.

------------------
Ralph LaBarge
AlphaDVD
[email protected]