Fringe -- "Bad Dreams" -- 4/21/09

Old 04-21-09, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Fringe -- "Bad Dreams" -- 4/21/09

Fringe

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

An actual suicide at New York City's Grand Central station is witnessed by Olivia---in Boston---in a dream, kicking off a baffling series of nightmares that may be linked to the ZFT manifesto, the drug Cortexiphan and her own childhood. Written and directed by Oscar-winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman ("A Beautiful Mind").

Wow!! An episode written and directed by Akiva Goldsman. That is some serious A-list behind the scenes talent. Wonder what strings JJ had to pull to get him aboard. Just checked IMDB and this is apparently his directorial debut.

BTW, pad your DVR at least 5 minutes if you aren't watching live due to the unpredictability of American Idol.
Old 04-21-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Fringe -- "Bad Dreams" -- 4/21/09

He wrote this episode and provided the story to the May 19th episode.

I don't think JJ had to pull many strings, TV is a great place for aspiring directors to make their debut (this is his directing debut) and Fringe allows a certain amount of creativity other shows wouldn't provide (I can't quite imagine this storyline on Gossip Girl or How I Met Your Mother). Plus, I don't think he's particularly busy at this moment as he seems to just do adaptations for Ron Howard anymore.

I've never been too impressed with his resume but it's cool to have an oscar winner write/direct an ep. Of course, we could also look at it as "From the writer of Batman & Robin, Practical Magic and Lost in Space (Movie)"

Oh and the ads for this ep have definitely been intriguing.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-21-09 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-21-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the previous it looked interesting.

I hope he knows the formula.
Old 04-21-09, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

^ That's what the producers are there for.
Old 04-21-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't a fan of this show when it first started, but the fast few episodes have been enjoyable. This episode was cool.

Does anyone know what song was playing at the strip club? It sounds JUST like "This Trinity's Goin' To War" from Futurama: Bender's Big Score.
Old 04-21-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Wow!! An episode written and directed by Akiva Goldsman. That is some serious A-list behind the scenes talent. Wonder what strings JJ had to pull to get him aboard. Just checked IMDB and this is apparently his directorial debut.
Well he did appear in an episode of Felicity so maybe there is some kind of history there.
Old 04-21-09, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite episode of FRINGE thus far, this series keeps getting better and better every week.
I was on board with this show from the poorly-reviewed pilot, which I would rank as my second favorite episode. I really believe this could have X Files legs and run for 10 years.
That opening scene: beautifully shot, that woman singing that lullaby, so creepy! Nicely done Akiva Goldsman, nicely done.

Last edited by mrconceited; 04-21-09 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-21-09, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen
I wasn't a fan of this show when it first started, but the fast few episodes have been enjoyable. This episode was cool.

Does anyone know what song was playing at the strip club? It sounds JUST like "This Trinity's Goin' To War" from Futurama: Bender's Big Score.
Starstruck- Lady Gaga
Old 04-21-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

That was a really good ep.

Olivia
Spoiler:
Kissing a Chick

Did anyone notice
Spoiler:
the voice in the video Walter was watching? That was Leonard Nimoy right? I read the post about him joining the show but I guess I didn't realize it would be this soon.

Walter's comment when
Spoiler:
when the lady hit the car after the swan dive

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-22-09 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-22-09, 01:08 AM
Banned

There's more than a little resemblance to Stephen King's Firestarter here with the early drug trials and what appears to be an ability for destruction when she got upset. It looks like it was all burned except directly around her.

casting:
Spoiler:
Looks like Nimoy went uncredited as Dr. Bell this time. He officially appears on the season finale on May 20
Old 04-22-09, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
That was a really good ep.

Olivia
Spoiler:
Kissing a Chick
Well, that's one way to write some
Spoiler:
girl-girl action
into the show.
Old 04-22-09, 06:52 AM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

Where was The Observer in this show?... I was looking for him.
Old 04-22-09, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I didn't see him either. I will have to Hulu it at lunch and double-check.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Did anyone notice
Spoiler:
the voice in the video Walter was watching? That was Leonard Nimoy right? I read the post about him joining the show but I guess I didn't realize it would be this soon.
Yes. It was. And finally someone who knows how to keep a spoiler by not posting the name in the credits... yeah, I'm looking at YOU Heroes.

I am really excited about where this is going. Almost sad there are only 3 episodes left - but at least no more hiatus breaks. FOX better renew this show!
Old 04-22-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think he walked across the street in front of the camera just as Olivia and the Bishops arrived at the building Nick was standing on top of towards the end of the episode.
Old 04-22-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Two weeks in a row that I was reminded of a specific X-Files episode.
Old 04-22-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To echo certain sentiments already posted within this thread, I was a bit uncertain as to the future of the show based upon the first few episodes. Everything felt disjointed, with the story seemingly tossed together loosely around the "fringe science" basis.

However, the latter episodes which aired just prior to the break were gaining noticeable traction, and, since returning, the show has definitively found it's footing. The story is flowing quite nicely, and even the "monster of the week" episodes are well done.

I can say with little doubt that this has managed to become one of my favorite shows of the season, and, if the story is executed properly, could become something to be rivaled in the world of televised science fiction.
Old 04-22-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've only caught a handful of eps, and this was the first I've seen that heavily hinted at the shows underlying mythology. Honestly, its this kind of stuff that ends up mucking up most scifi shows for me and becomes a convoluted distraction. Parallel universe war? Whatever, just give me weekly freaky pseudo science shenanigans.

As far as characters, dont like notDawson, and the girl is a bit of a sad sack dud. Maybe they are just playing it straight to counterbalance mad scientist guy (just being mean, I know their names). The rest are the usual peripherals who could be killed off and replaced and it wouldn't really matter to me.

Still, its got some promise. Most scifi/fantasy shows tend to either succeed or fail based on their second seasons, takes some time to iron out the kinks, find a flow.
Old 04-22-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
I've only caught a handful of eps, and this was the first I've seen that heavily hinted at the shows underlying mythology. Honestly, its this kind of stuff that ends up mucking up most scifi shows for me and becomes a convoluted distraction. Parallel universe war? Whatever, just give me weekly freaky pseudo science shenanigans.

As far as characters, dont like notDawson, and the girl is a bit of a sad sack dud. Maybe they are just playing it straight to counterbalance mad scientist guy (just being mean, I know their names). The rest are the usual peripherals who could be killed off and replaced and it wouldn't really matter to me.

Still, its got some promise. Most scifi/fantasy shows tend to either succeed or fail based on their second seasons, takes some time to iron out the kinks, find a flow.
I really like Olivia, but yeah, it takes a while for her to grow on you. I felt the same way when I started watching, but I really like her character now.

LOVED this episode...
Old 04-22-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone notice that during the scene near the end when the camera pans out down the hall from the room Olivia and Broyles are looking into that Anna seems to break character and talk to Broyles as though they're having a casual conversation as actors?
Old 04-22-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flagstone
I think he walked across the street in front of the camera just as Olivia and the Bishops arrived at the building Nick was standing on top of towards the end of the episode.
Correct - he's using the crosswalk as they approach the ambulance. At about 41:35 on Hulu. Nice catch.
Old 04-22-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Olivia has grow on me too. I even find her hot in some episodes now.

They should have a really good season finale.
Old 04-22-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

He was
Spoiler:
furiously masturbating in a corner
while Olivia
Spoiler:
Kissed that Chick
Old 04-22-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I said above, I liked this episode, but for me this show is and probably always will be a clone of The X-Files. I was excited for it when it premiered, but as it went along I grew to dislike it; this week was good, but it's nothing The X-Files hasn't already done, and done better at that. I usually take that hour to watch an episode of The X-Files on DVD actually, but last night didn't feel like putting a DVD in the DVD player.
Old 04-22-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed it but I wish they would give that girl more to do.
Old 04-22-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I enjoyed it but I wish they would give that girl more to do.
Which girl? Astrid the Lab Assistant?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.