Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

cdwow.us?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cdwow.us?

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I've been getting a ton of vouchers in my e-mail from them and decided to check out their clearance sales. They had some good prices on CDs I was interested in so I tried placing an order. Two actually (to use 2 different $4 vouchers.)

They've since e-mailed me requesting a photo copy of my credit card and a photo copy of my drivers license or other ID. I've never heard of this and contacted them, thinking it might be a scam, but it is from them and they're claiming it's their effort to prevent fraudulent transactions. And they're requesting this information even for the one order I paid for via Paypal since their credit card page kept malfunctioning after my initial order. They've already deducted the money from my Paypal account so I don't see why they'd need this information. The requests they sent seemed to be a form letter - just wondering if they're requesting this kind of information for all orders.

I ordered from them in the past with none of these issues - though I now recall that they did deduct the money from my account before items had been shipped and it took a long time for some items to arrive. I've just never heard of such a thing from an online retailer. Even brick and mortar retailers don't ask for this much information anymore when you write a check or use a credit card.

Has anyone used them recently who can comment? Thanks.

- chance
Old 04-21-09, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: cdwow.us?

Never heard of them doing that. Have you emailed them back and asked why they are doing this> [email protected]
Old 04-21-09, 04:12 AM

I just kept getting the same form message saying it was to "help comply with [their] stringent fraud policies". They never replied to my specific questions or order other than the form messages.

I've since cancelled my orders and they've refunded my money. I read on another message board that cdwow has had a lot of problems with online fraud recently, so I suppose they're just trying to protect themselves. It's a shame since they do have good prices, but I just felt like it was too much to ask.

- chance
Old 04-21-09, 05:50 AM

Annoying yes, but it's just a normal procedure many online stores use to prevent cc frauds.