The fate of your favorite TV shows

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 07:03 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
The fate of your favorite TV shows

from www.aintitcoolnews.com

With the networks readying mid-May announcements of their 2009-2010 schedules, The Hollywood Reporter has a story about what’s dead and what’s not so dead.

I was surprised to read, buried deep in the story, that the CW already considers “Reaper” “gone.”

How I read the Reporter’s story:

LIKELY TO RETURN
Ghost Whisperer (CBS)
How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
Law & Order (NBC)
Numb3rs (CBS)
Southland (NBC)
Ugly Betty (ABC)

UNLIKELY TO RETURN
Cupid (ABC)
Eleventh Hour (CBS)
Kath & Kim (NBC)
Life (NBC)
Reaper (CW)
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (Fox)
The Unit (CBS)

FIFTY/FIFTY
Better Off Ted (ABC)
Castle (ABC)
Chuck (NBC)
Cold Case (CBS)
Dollhouse (Fox)
Medium (NBC)
Privileged (CW)
The Unusuals (ABC)
Without A Trace (CBS)

Though I don’t recall NBC officially canceling “Knight Rider,” “My Own Worst Enemy,” “Crusoe” or “Kings,” none of these abysmally rated hourlongs is mentioned in the story; I assume this means they’re all doomed beyond discussion as NBC’s “Jay Leno Show” era looms closer.

Also curious is lack of any mention of ABC's "Scrubs"; the network had been considering bringing it back with a revamped cast, but 2009 ratings for the expensive, established version have not been the greatest.

Find all of the Reporter’s story on the matter here.
Old 04-20-09, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The fate of your favorite TV shows

I wouldn’t mind if CBS trimmed the fat with Without a Trace and Cold Case they have both been on for awhile and had there time.

I would be really sad if Life isn't given another shot. And while I haven't seen it renew Terminator, I hear the show is good and there is a movie coming out.

I also have not seen Southland and while it may be as good as say The Shield or The Wire, do we really need another Cop show so soon?

The others I have no comment on. I haven't had a chance to check out Kings, Harpers Island or The Unusuals yet.
Old 04-20-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Which Button?
I wouldn’t mind if CBS trimmed the fat with Without a Trace and Cold Case they have both been on for awhile and had there time.
Agreed. I watch them both but won't miss them if they get cancelled.

I kind of was getting in to Cupid so sad to see that one is likely gone. TV needs more non-crime dramas.
Old 04-20-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The only show I watch out of all those is Terminator, but dang it's good. I hope it makes the cut.
Old 04-20-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Reaper, Sarah Connor, and Prison Break will all be gone for me next year. That leaves me with 24, LOST, Greek, Family Guy, and Amazing Race. Only three serial dramas I need more! Already dropped Heroes this season.

I watch How I Met Your Mother only on DVD.

I hope to see more (excellent) serial dramas in the 2009/2010 lineup

Last edited by MLBFan24; 04-21-09 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-20-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Out of the 3 shows I watch:

Terminator: Will be pissed, but understanding if they kill it.

The Unit: It hasn't been great lately and has it's issues, I don't think I'd miss it much.

Chuck: Damn NBC to hell if they kill this show! I will seriously boycott NBC new shows for years if they kill it before the 3rd season.
Old 04-20-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Unit better return. It's one of the best shows on television.
Old 04-20-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, if Chuck gets the axe, then Im done with any new show from here on out that airs on network TV...
Old 04-20-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life . Does NBC just want to cancel everything?
Old 04-20-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Though I don’t recall NBC officially canceling “Knight Rider,” “My Own Worst Enemy,” “Crusoe” or “Kings,” none of these abysmally rated hourlongs is mentioned in the story; I assume this means they’re all doomed beyond discussion as NBC’s “Jay Leno Show” era looms closer.
All of those, except for Kings, were officially cancelled late last year/earlier this year.
Old 04-20-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yep. It was unreal this year, after last year being a down year. Even more so, that it would be the 5th year and is close to syndication. I'd think that's incentive for it to be renewed.
Old 04-20-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
If they can return it to Season 2 / Season 3 greatness. I stopped watching it this season. I'd rather watch Ultimate Force.
Old 04-20-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Life . Does NBC just want to cancel everything?
Seriously, what is NBC going to do, run infomercials 24/7? They must be trying to SERIOUSLY re-invent themselves, they're killing off nearly the entire line-up!
Old 04-20-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Only watch 3. Terminator is my favorite of those cancelled. I'd like to see The Unit return. And I wish Kings would have been on HBO or Showtime. I think it would have done much better there.
Old 04-20-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
If they can return it to Season 2 / Season 3 greatness. I stopped watching it this season. I'd rather watch Ultimate Force.
You missed a great season. This year has been spectacular. Last year was terrible.
Old 04-20-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Chuck - I'll be done with NBC if it gets canceled. The Office, Earl, & Heroes season passes will get deleted and unlike this season (I stuck by NBC) I'll get my Friday Night Lights by 'other means.'

the Unit - has been pretty solid this year. Still a great ensemble show. It probably has run its course though.

Reaper - after the upswing at the end of season one it's been disappointing that season 2 has gone back to the soul of the week crap. I'll watch if it comes back, but at this point I won't miss it if it goes. They should have brought in an arc with God and some angels to balance out the demon, devil & soul action. Could have made things interesting.
Old 04-20-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm torn about The Unit. It's a 20th show, right? Perhaps it would be worthwhile for FX to order a dozen to kick the episode count up for syndication purposes (if that even matters any more).

I would honestly almost rather it end than have to deal with another CBS Sunday night. Worst night/network combination ever. Somebody needs to put 60 Minutes in its place, and the network needs to get with joining the 7 PM show in progress or just creating an after-football filler show like Fox does.

ETA: That's premised on Shawn Ryan taking no more than a year or two off before giving us another excellent drama.
Old 04-21-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I don't get why Eleventh Hour is unlikely to return. It's been getting 11-12M viewers a week and pretty much retained 60-70% of CSI's audience consistently. I don't think the show is super expensive since their are only 2 series regulars (Rufus Sewell and Marley Shelton)

I can understand why Without a Trace and Cold Case may not return since both shows are aging and the production costs are probably continuing to go up, especially since both have large casts......Cold Case must have a ridiculous music budget. Plus, Cold Case hasn't made any money back to WB on DVD because of the music costs and Without a Trace has been a poor seller on DVD.

It seems like anything not produced by CBS/Paramont TV is automatically on the bubble at CBS.
Old 04-21-09, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I'm torn about The Unit. It's a 20th show, right? Perhaps it would be worthwhile for FX to order a dozen to kick the episode count up for syndication purposes (if that even matters any more).
The Unit is produced by 20th TV and after this season it will have 69 episodes to it's count.

I think the likelihood a show like this to switch networks is prettty unlikely. FX or any cable channel doesn't get the type of Ad revenue needed to make this show profitable.
Old 04-21-09, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll miss The Unit, but I'd gladly sacrifice it if it somehow meant Chuck survived (I know the two aren't connected in any way). I'd sacrifice HIMYM too, because I hate the direction that show has taken lately (and it is slightly connected to Chuck ).
Old 04-21-09, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by the big train
I'll miss The Unit, but I'd gladly sacrifice it if it somehow meant Chuck survived (I know the two aren't connected in any way). I'd sacrifice HIMYM too, because I hate the direction that show has taken lately (and it is slightly connected to Chuck ).
Chuck airs on a different network than both of those.
Old 04-21-09, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like Better Off Ted. The two scientists crack me up every time they are on screen. The lead is kind of weak, but that is intentional. You need "normal people" to collide with the oddballs. I think the cast is stellar and the daughter is perfect for movies.
Old 04-21-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Except for TNT reruns, I don't watch Law & Order that much but it's oddly comforting to know that the show will probably come back. It's the best thing to ever happen to struggling/unknown actors in NYC.

I knew Life was in danger, but I hate to see it go. At the least the season finale served well as a series finale too, although a little anticlimactic.

Stlll watching HIMYM but it's going downhill. Jokes beaten into the ground, episodes constructed just to get you to visit a new wacky website, and Barney has been reduced to a parody.

Don't watch any of the others. Damn though, Cupid is already dead (again). Even the Jeremy Piven version lasted longer.
Old 04-21-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Don't watch any of the others. Damn though, Cupid is already dead (again). Even the Jeremy Piven version lasted longer.
Yeah - I feel the same way. I've actually been enjoying it so far, but it looks like ABC is going to axe it if they're replacing tonight's episode with a new Unusuals.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Reaper - after the upswing at the end of season one it's been disappointing that season 2 has gone back to the soul of the week crap. I'll watch if it comes back, but at this point I won't miss it if it goes. They should have brought in an arc with God and some angels to balance out the demon, devil & soul action. Could have made things interesting.
What? No arc? How about Alan who somehow escaped the devil's contract and the devil's other son Morgan? There's definitely more arc going on than the first half of last season. Still I can see the WB canning it if Smallville comes back and Melrose Place returns.
Old 04-21-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The "unlikely" and "fifty-fifty" titles, I've been watching (and enjoying):

ELEVENTH HOUR
REAPER
TERMINATOR
CASTLE

I watched the first two episodes of Southland and if it makes it to next year, it won't be at my request.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.