Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Where can I get an HDTV elliptical dish?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Where can I get an HDTV elliptical dish?

Old 05-02-00, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm told this is what I'll need to get my local stations' HDTV broadcast from Directv. I'm trying to find the dish only. Not one with a decoder included. Circuit City says not until June & they only come w/ decoder. Radio Shack says June & you can get dish only. Directv says they're available now, but they don't sell them & they're not sure who does have them, but you can't get any HDTV signal from them without the elliptical. Does anyone have the HDTV broadcast from Directv? If so, how are you doing it?
Old 05-02-00, 08:57 PM

I've had one since December. I got mine directly from the Thompson's (RCA) HDTV department when they were on sale for $120 with the outdoor multiswitch.

Just for the record, you do not need the ellipical dish. Rather you can use two regular dishes and then run them through the correct multiswitch. But I suggest you get the real deal.

I no longer have the phone number for Thompson, but I do know that the dishes are available at least at www.copperbox.com/hdtvacc.htm for $189. Their good people and will take care of you. You can also try ebay.

I might be selling mine soon as I'm moving to the Dish6000 when it comes out. But I'll probably keep the DTV dish.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 05-03-00, 01:40 PM

El Kabong, I just re-read your question and realized that you are trying to local HD sat broadcasts. You need to know that you will NOT get any local HD broadcasts on any DBS system. DirecTV only broadcasts two HD channels -- HBO-HD and the PPV/Demo channel.
The only way to get your local HD channels is with an antenna -- likely your best bet is a UHF only antenna. I can help you get more specific info on your local HD channels if you need it.

But what ever you do -- do not buy an ellipical dish if all you want it for is local HD broadcasts. It will be a number of years (if ever) before DirecTV has the bandwith to carry local HD channels (note: you likely can get your local standard broadcasts via DBS).

------------------
Dave
My DVD List