DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Official 2009 NBA Playoffs Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

namrfumot
05-12-09, 09:36 PM
w00t!

fumanstan
05-12-09, 09:38 PM
Great Dwight Howard. First you fuck up the play coming of a time out and then get the ball so the Celtic foul you.

Blame the rest of the Magic players for not getting open. :shrug:

Michael T Hudson
05-12-09, 09:40 PM
Lets go Lakers.

Arthur Dent
05-12-09, 09:40 PM
I hope I stop existing within the next few minutes. Fuck this shit. Unbelievable. A Lakers loss would ease the pain slightly.

El Scorcho
05-12-09, 09:43 PM
god van gundy sucks so hard, imo

wirefan
05-12-09, 10:20 PM
god van gundy sucks so hard, imo

Yeah, you can blame the players all you want, but the Magic play with no poise (which means lack of leadership and probably not good coaching) .

The Magic gave up 29points in the last 8 1/2 minutes, they gave up barely more than twice that amount (63) in the first 39 1/2 minutes.

cdollaz
05-12-09, 10:47 PM
But the other Van Gundy is the best announcer in the league.

InstantKarma
05-12-09, 10:55 PM
I hope I stop existing within the next few minutes. Fuck this shit. Unbelievable. A Lakers loss would ease the pain slightly.

If it wasn't for the buzzer beater and the 12 point lead choke, we would have been playing Cleveland right now! Now it is a MUST WIN at home on Thursday!

wirefan
05-12-09, 11:19 PM
How is that not an illegal pick? Perkins clearly extended his leg after Allen went by to block Reddick. Anyone can get free as long as he keeps getting illegal picks to block the defender.

It's not an illegal pick, because it is done consistently enough where the refs feel they can't keep calling it. Boston sets more moving and illegal screens than the rest of the teams combined in the playoffs. When Powe was around it seemed to be called more often, but with limited big men, it's almost as if the ref's realize the C's would not have enough big men if they actually enforced the screen rules.

The rules on screens have evolved (for all teams, not just the C's). Moving screens (when not egregious) are now allowed, players are allowed to extend their hands and/or forearms while making the screen and a wider base (legs beyond the natural body stance) is now suddenly allowed. And this is why the game has evolved into a game of guards - the pick and roll is hard to defend straight up, when you give the screened even more liberties it makes guard play (and small forwards) virtually unstoppable.

Glenn Davis now has a move where instead of setting a pick he just starts posting up the player he is picking which allows for a pseudo moving screen and basically shuts down any chance the trailer has of fighting through the screen and forces a switch. A few years ago this would not be a legal move.

atari2600
05-13-09, 01:31 AM
I think Martin is basically proving Cuban's point.

He's right. They are a bunch of thugs. Or at the least they're just not very 'classy'. :)

"Classy" and "Karma"....dumbest words ever.

lol sorry but if you go after a guys mom, tahts way past the line. and the fact that hes an owner makes it worse.

kmart had every right to say whatever he wants after what cuban did (granted he did apologize but this is before all that).

if anyone did the same to my mom, im not sure i would have reacted in as nice of a way that kmart did.

xage
05-13-09, 01:37 AM
Add this to the NBA Playoff - Lala (MTV VJ and Carmelo's Lovey)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y5rOviVqvmg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y5rOviVqvmg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Kenyon Martin is not hunky, nor dory.

<object id="4324" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" height="394" width="448"><param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.nbcdfw.com/syndication?id=44785792&path=%2Fsports%2Fbasketball"/><embed src="http://www.nbcdfw.com/syndication?id=44785792&path=%2Fsports%2Fbasketball" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" height="394" width="448"></embed></object>

El Scorcho
05-13-09, 02:43 AM
if anyone did the same to my mom, im not sure i would have reacted in as nice of a way that kmart did.

lol you probably already traded your mom for not performing well at buying you awesome birthday gifts when you were 5 even though signs were there that she'd be one of the best mom's in the neighborhood

LurkerDan
05-13-09, 11:03 AM
But the other Van Gundy is the best announcer in the league.

and was a far better coach

atari2600
05-13-09, 11:05 AM
lol you probably already traded your mom for not performing well at buying you awesome birthday gifts when you were 5 even though signs were there that she'd be one of the best mom's in the neighborhood

horrible reply.

i guess it tells alot about how you view your own mom. if someone did or said something bad about my mom, my first reaction would be much different than yours.

Mordred
05-13-09, 11:44 AM
Add this to the NBA Playoff - Lala (MTV VJ and Carmelo's Lovey)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y5rOviVqvmg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y5rOviVqvmg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>Yeah, she doesn't look happy. Sounds like the crowd was pretty horrible. Great way to represent the city. I heard that someone threw beer on her, although someone on a Mavs blog said that she tossed her beer at someone else first. I hope all the Nuggets family members take Cuban up on his offer to sit in his luxury box (if the Mavs somehow win game 5) because this stuff is just damn embarrassing and ugly.

PopcornTreeCt
05-13-09, 12:29 PM
So... I'm over the Magic.

I really feel like they need to change some calls during this offseason. They need to get rid of the 'pump fake, get guy in air, jump into the guy, then shoot' foul. It's absolutely ridiculous. It started with Reggie Miller so of course he's not gonna call it out during games. But the only guys that get the calls are the stars -LeBron, Pierce, Kobe They just need to start calling like a blocking/charge foul. Where it could go either way.

Also, they really need to do something about the flopping. These guys get tapped and then fling themselves on the floor.

The game has evolved into playing for the whistle.

fumanstan
05-13-09, 12:51 PM
I really feel like they need to change some calls during this offseason. They need to get rid of the 'pump fake, get guy in air, jump into the guy, then shoot' foul. It's absolutely ridiculous. It started with Reggie Miller so of course he's not gonna call it out during games. But the only guys that get the calls are the stars -LeBron, Pierce, Kobe They just need to start calling like a blocking/charge foul. Where it could go either way.

Everyone and their mother's get this call. That particular attempt to draw the foul is in no way limited to stars. But I hate it too, and refs should be better about the offensive player jumping into a defender.

El Scorcho
05-13-09, 01:26 PM
horrible reply.

i guess it tells alot about how you view your own mom. if someone did or said something bad about my mom, my first reaction would be much different than yours.

lol i'm just poking fun at you and our ongoing Oden debate, chill

El Scorcho
05-13-09, 01:29 PM
Also, they really need to do something about the flopping. These guys get tapped and then fling themselves on the floor.

The game has evolved into playing for the whistle.

this all started with the ridiculous "taking the charge" concept, where defense is now best played by sliding under players almost simultaneously as they leave the ground to go to the rim instead of actually trying to block a shot (the true nature of defense)

the true nature of a "taking the charge" offensive foul is to penalize an offensive player for creating an advantage for himself by initiating contact with the defender

cdollaz
05-13-09, 01:44 PM
Everyone and their mother's get this call. That particular attempt to draw the foul is in no way limited to stars. But I hate it too, and refs should be better about the offensive player jumping into a defender.

My favorite is the Von Wafer play from game 3 (I think). His jumping into the defender was the most blatant example of it I have ever seen, but he still got the call. Funny stuff.

dx23
05-13-09, 02:01 PM

Rashard Lewis didn't get it yesterday when Big Bitch jumped on the pump fake and clearly pushed Lewis in his jump shot attempt from the free throw line during the Celtics run in the last 4 minutes of the game. Lewis airball, expecting a foul and Big Bitch scored a jump hook over Howard at the other end.

atari2600
05-13-09, 02:20 PM
lol i'm just poking fun at you and our ongoing Oden debate, chill

didnt know that debate was ongoing.

whos turn is it?

El Scorcho
05-13-09, 02:51 PM
didnt know that debate was ongoing.

whos turn is it?

it got delayed due to my 1 month hiatus

I think I started it up again in the nba offseason thread

fumanstan
05-13-09, 04:02 PM
Rashard Lewis didn't get it yesterday when Big Bitch jumped on the pump fake and clearly pushed Lewis in his jump shot attempt from the free throw line during the Celtics run in the last 4 minutes of the game. Lewis airball, expecting a foul and Big Bitch scored a jump hook over Howard at the other end.

Yeah, but there's always missed calls. Doesn't change that it's a call that isn't limited to star treatment.

dx23
05-13-09, 07:21 PM
True.

TVFanatic
05-13-09, 08:34 PM
The denver/dallas game is on is anyone on here watching???????

lordwow
05-13-09, 08:48 PM
Father of pushed kid now... apologizing to Big Baby Davis...

On ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" this afternoon, co-host Tony Kornheiser read the following portion of an e-mail Provetti sent to PTI:

"What I said about Glen 'Big Baby' Davis is inexcusable, is disgusting, and I feel horrible about it. I am truly sorry. I got caught up in the heat of the moment and not being a professional dealing with the media, I made a complete ass of myself."

TVFanatic
05-13-09, 08:54 PM
Denver pulling away and should be getting ready for the Lakers next week

Aphex Twin
05-13-09, 09:23 PM

I hope he decides to write a book about this.

TVFanatic
05-13-09, 09:41 PM
Denver letting Dallas hang around only up 8 in the 3rd

Jam Master Jay
05-13-09, 09:56 PM
yeah stick a fork in this one. Mavs played pretty good in the 4th Q in Game 4 but don't see a repeat of that happening again. Haven't watched the whole game but not seeing any shots of Cuban anywhere, he not show his face in Denver tonight?

Jeremy517
05-13-09, 10:01 PM
yeah stick a fork in this one. Mavs played pretty good in the 4th Q in Game 4 but don't see a repeat of that happening again. Haven't watched the whole game but not seeing any shots of Cuban anywhere, he not show his face in Denver tonight?

He's getting a CLIO award tonight.

Deftones
05-13-09, 10:06 PM
is anyone talking about the Denver/Dallas game? i was thinking of starting a new thread about it...

Aphex Twin
05-13-09, 10:14 PM
Denver pulling away and should be getting ready for the Lakers next week

You may be upsetting the woof gods

TVFanatic
05-13-09, 10:23 PM

He was too scared to show his face in Denver-lol He maybe crazy but not that crazy

TVFanatic
05-13-09, 10:26 PM
You may be upsetting the woof gods

Dirk is Determined, just cut the lead to 107-100 with 6:23 lft

PopcornTreeCt
05-13-09, 10:30 PM
Denver versus LA is going to be fun.

dx23
05-13-09, 10:34 PM
Dallas is another team that needs to review their roster and strategy for next year. With the team they have right now, they are not going to win. They need to trade Josh Howard for someone more consistent and improve their bench, specially in the SF department. Wright-Singleton-George don't make one useful consistent SF. And they need a better starting center than Dampier.

TVFanatic
05-13-09, 11:05 PM
I don't see the Lakers letting another team steal one of the first two games in LA which is why I feel the Lakers will be back in the Finals

LurkerDan
05-13-09, 11:25 PM
is anyone talking about the Denver/Dallas game? i was thinking of starting a new thread about it...

The Broncos are playing the Cowboys?

TVFanatic
05-13-09, 11:35 PM
The Broncos are playing the Cowboys?

Aex English led the Nuggets tonight over the Dallas Mavs.

Nesbit
05-14-09, 12:53 AM
Why hasn't KG gone in for surgery yet? You'd think they'd want him to get through that ASAP so he has as much time as possible to recover for next year.

davidh777
05-14-09, 02:13 AM

I'll give the dude credit for this

atari2600
05-14-09, 04:12 AM
it got delayed due to my 1 month hiatus

I think I started it up again in the nba offseason thread

ok...sounds good.

was i on the oden is good or bad side of the debate? sorry, its been awhile :)

atari2600
05-14-09, 04:13 AM
Denver versus LA is going to be fun.

hell yeah!

WCF BABY!!!

Mordred
05-14-09, 12:02 PM
Dallas is another team that needs to review their roster and strategy for next year. With the team they have right now, they are not going to win. They need to trade Josh Howard for someone more consistent and improve their bench, specially in the SF department. Wright-Singleton-George don't make one useful consistent SF. And they need a better starting center than Dampier.Something needs to change in Dallas. Right now Dallas is the 4th best team in the West (5th if SA is healthy) and they're never going to do better than that. Dirk's still got several good years left but Dallas has to figure out a way to get younger and fast. Honestly while I didn't like the Kidd trade at first, he was a huge asset down the stretch. The problem is he's old. He's got one good year left in him before his offense leaves him and he's more of a liability than anything. Resigning him to a 3-year deal seems extreme but he could be a valuable piece next year. Howard's solid but inconsistent. Terry is a fan favorite, but has a temper and is pretty streaky as well. I don't know who the Mavs can get to shake things up, but we need to demolish our bench and bring in at least one big star if we want to do anything. It will be an interesting offseason in Dallas.

Congrats to Denver. I would have liked if game 3 had gone differently but even then I think we would have lost in 7. They're just too good at home.

fujishig
05-14-09, 12:34 PM
I don't see the Lakers letting another team steal one of the first two games in LA which is why I feel the Lakers will be back in the Finals

I dunno, if the Lakers beat the Rockets and then lose any of the first four games of the Denver series, I think they're in trouble...

dx23
05-14-09, 12:36 PM
I think Dallas should bring Ron Artest and sign Jason Kidd to a one-two year deal max. Trade away Josh Howard for someone like Loul Deng or a package of players that can come from the bench and produce.

TVFanatic
05-14-09, 03:28 PM
I see both Road Teams closing out the series tonight

Michael Ballack
05-14-09, 04:34 PM
Dwight better back up his words or he'll end up like this guy.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/stadium.weblogsinc.com/tmz/images/2009/05/_0009_FP_2190898_Joakim_Noah_Lets_Loose_On_The_Beach__full.jpg

mrpayroll
05-14-09, 04:37 PM
That actually doesn't look too bad.

Chris

Michael Ballack
05-14-09, 04:38 PM
That actually doesn't look too bad.

Chris

He deserves that after that steal and dunk on Pierce. Yeah, not too bad of an offseason if you ask me.

InstantKarma
05-14-09, 06:09 PM
I see both Road Teams closing out the series tonight

Lakers, yes, Celtics no

wirefan
05-14-09, 06:57 PM
Lakers, yes, Celtics no

Moving screen and a reach in on Big Baby - looks like the refs might actually call this one straight up... The Magic have a chance. (Though if there is a Game 7 these fouls will not be called, especially in Boston). Lakers should cruise tonight - Houston won Game 5 on emotion and the typical Lakers letdown. Barring another no-show by LA, they should win by at least 20pts.

The NBA...where off days happen... No games scheduled 3 out of the next 4 days? (Fri, Sat and Mon). One MONTH after the last regular season games and we are still in Round 2?

fumanstan
05-14-09, 07:02 PM
The NBA...where off days happen... No games scheduled 3 out of the next 4 days? (Fri, Sat and Mon). One MONTH after the last regular season games and we are still in Round 2?

While it sucks to have a few days with no games, I don't mind the current scheduling. It's nice being able to catch as many games as possible, and i'd rather avoid 4 games on a weekday or something for Round 1 and not be able to watch some. Plus, I think it's good for fans to check out other teams and i'm glad there's no back to backs.

wirefan
05-14-09, 07:19 PM
While it sucks to have a few days with no games, I don't mind the current scheduling. It's nice being able to catch as many games as possible, and i'd rather avoid 4 games on a weekday or something for Round 1 and not be able to watch some. Plus, I think it's good for fans to check out other teams and i'm glad there's no back to backs.

We are in the 2nd round... there's no way to have 4 games on a weekday. There are 2 games in each conference...and they play every other day. The issue is the need to throw in the extra offdays to line up the TV schedules. Why no games on Saturday (either Game 1 or Game 7?).... TV. I'm not even talking back to backs... how about not having 2 days off between some games?

fumanstan
05-14-09, 07:32 PM
We are in the 2nd round... there's no way to have 4 games on a weekday. There are 2 games in each conference...and they play every other day. The issue is the need to throw in the extra offdays to line up the TV schedules. Why no games on Saturday (either Game 1 or Game 7?).... TV. I'm not even talking back to backs... how about not having 2 days off between some games?

Um I know there's no way to have 4 games on a weekday, I was just referencing the previous round as to why we're a month into the playoffs and on Round 2.

But yeah, but given the goal is to maximize viewership, I don't really have a problem with not scheduling a game for the coming Friday and Saturday. Sunday morning/noon games have always been the NBA staple. Given we don't know if both series are going beyond today, I was under the impression that Game 1 of the Conference Finals would be on that day if one of these rounds concluded. I thought I read somewhere about the Nuggets having at least 72 hours off, meaning if the Lakers close it out they would be playing Sunday.

InstantKarma
05-14-09, 07:37 PM
Magic are playing like shit but they are lucky to be only down 1 at the half

wirefan
05-14-09, 07:40 PM
So Perkins shoves someone in the back and the refs just swallow the whistle, and then give a makeup call, but give the foul to Ray Allen? Ridiculous. And Howard gets a touch foul against Rondo....

Fuman - Game 7 (if necessary) is Sun in the East,,, there is no 72hour rule for a Game 7. (I have no problems with an extra off day between rounds - to allow for scouting, travel, etc)

InstantKarma
05-14-09, 07:46 PM
I hate Redick when he was at Duke and I hate him now, he is so overated! Looks like the Magic might be going fishing... :(

wirefan
05-14-09, 07:47 PM
Whats gotten into the refs? Apparently they have just figured out that Rondo clears people out with his off arm and knees on his drives and runners. Now if they can just stop calling the Paul Pierce flops...

And how is that not an intentional foul on Perkins?

And what the hell - how is that not a foul on Davis? (Oh I forgot, the refs know he has 4 fouls, and they are not allowed to call a 5th until the 4th quarter)

dx23
05-14-09, 08:02 PM
Apparently the refs really want the Celtics to win. That was clearly an offensive foul by Rondo yet Pietrus was called for it. Ridiculous.

wirefan
05-14-09, 08:07 PM
Apparently the refs really want the Celtics to win. That was clearly an offensive foul by Rondo yet Pietrus was called for it. Ridiculous.

Yeah they called it twice already in the game... apparently conditioning has set in and if you keep doing something they will eventually stop calling it (like Perkins and Davis with their illegal screens)

dx23
05-14-09, 08:16 PM
Wow! That was not a foul at all.

fumanstan
05-14-09, 08:20 PM
Fuman - Game 7 (if necessary) is Sun in the East,,, there is no 72hour rule for a Game 7. (I have no problems with an extra off day between rounds - to allow for scouting, travel, etc)

Right, both Game 7's are Sunday if necessary. I'm saying if both series finish, I think Game 1 of the next round would be Sunday instead. I didn't say there was a 72 hour rule, I'm saying I read somewhere that the Nuggets have at least 3 days off until they play again. Hence Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and then play again on Sunday (if the Lakers win).

wirefan
05-14-09, 08:25 PM
Right, both Game 7's are Sunday if necessary. I'm saying if both series finish, I think Game 1 of the next round would be Sunday instead. I didn't say there was a 72 hour rule, I'm saying I read somewhere that the Nuggets have at least 3 days off until they play again. Hence Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and then play again on Sunday (if the Lakers win).

Actually, they just mentioned Game 1 of the East would be Monday (if it ends tonight) or Wed (if it ends Sunday).... and you can try to explain this - but it it COMPLETELY INCONSISTENT.... Thursday to Mon would mean 3 off days (because you know, you can never have too many off days), Sunday to Wed would mean 2 off days (just to keep things consistent?)...

Game 1 of the West is Sun (if it ends tonight), Game 1 of the East is Mon (if it ends tonight)... totally consistent... :)

There's also a chance that there would be 2 games in the West finals complete, before even the first game in the East is played!

Michael T Hudson
05-14-09, 08:31 PM
It is OK. :lol:

fumanstan
05-14-09, 08:37 PM
Actually, they just mentioned Game 1 of the East would be Monday (if it ends tonight) or Wed (if it ends Sunday).... and you can try to explain this - but it it COMPLETELY INCONSISTENT.... Thursday to Mon would mean 3 off days (because you know, you can never have too many off days), Sunday to Wed would mean 2 off days (just to keep things consistent?)...

Game 1 of the West is Sun (if it ends tonight), Game 1 of the East is Mon (if it ends tonight)... totally consistent... :)

There's also a chance that there would be 2 games in the West finals complete, before even the first game in the East is played!

Seems obvious why, as we're at the Conference Finals and the stakes are high enough that they would want alternating nights so that the focus is on each game with start times so that both coasts can watch them. It's better then having a double header and West Coast people being at work during the ECF game and East Coast people being asleep by the start of the WCF game.

That and since the NBA always avoids back to backs during the playoffs, it means we don't have days with no games. I'm not sure what you would want to fix that or make the scheduling "better"

EDIT: And basically, the Western Conference Game would either start on Sunday or Tuesday. So it makes sense why the ECF would vary too. It was just coincidence that the other series already finished and teams are waiting.

fumanstan
05-14-09, 08:40 PM
Nice FT's :up:

fumanstan
05-14-09, 08:42 PM
Hedo :up:

Michael T Hudson
05-14-09, 08:43 PM
Come on Orlando. Come on Lakers.

wirefan
05-14-09, 08:48 PM
That and since the NBA always avoids back to backs during the playoffs, it means we don't have days with no games. I'm not sure what you would want to fix that or make the scheduling "better"

It's THURSDAY... why wouldn't EITHER (or one) game 7 be on Sat? This is not about back to backs - you keep saying it, but there is no need for back to backs... yet you keep going back to that? You can avoid back to backs and STILL have games on alternating days. The problem is the NBA trying to stretch out 7 game series into 3 weekends by throwing in extra off days...

Never mind - like I said it's about TV, and for some reason, you think it is about back to back games. Looks like Game 1 of the East will be Wednesday, and assuming the Lakers close it out tonight Games 1 and 2 of the West Finals will be Sun and Tues.

InstantKarma
05-14-09, 08:51 PM
WHOOO, MAGIC WON!!!!!!!!!! Magic is the first team to snap Boston's 32-0 winning streak when they are 3-2 in the series, awesome!!

Michael Ballack
05-14-09, 08:54 PM
WHOOO, MAGIC WON!!!!!!!!!! Magic is the first team to snap Boston's 32-0 winning streak when they are 3-2 in the series, awesome!!

Bulls won last series when Celtics were up 3-2. I believe Boston is 32-0 in game 7's.

fumanstan
05-14-09, 08:55 PM
It's THURSDAY... why wouldn't EITHER (or one) game 7 be on Sat? This is not about back to backs - you keep saying it, but there is no need for back to backs... yet you keep going back to that? You can avoid back to backs and STILL have games on alternating days. The problem is the NBA trying to stretch out 7 game series into 3 weekends by throwing in extra off days...

Never mind - like I said it's about TV, and for some reason, you think it is about back to back games. Looks like Game 1 of the East will be Wednesday, and assuming the Lakers close it out tonight Games 1 and 2 of the West Finals will be Sun and Tues.

Huh? You're doing a terrible job following my responses. You quoted my comment about back to backs in response to you complaining about the ECF starting on Monday or Wednesday and the days off in between. That wasn't about no games being on this coming Saturday. I don't "keep saying" anything. I'm addressing different points.

We already know there's no game on Saturday because Sunday is the big NBA day. I said that earlier - But yeah, but given the goal is to maximize viewership, I don't really have a problem with not scheduling a game for the coming Friday and Saturday. Sunday morning/noon games have always been the NBA staple.

VinVega
05-14-09, 08:57 PM
Closing for length. Part 2 thread here (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/555073-official-2009-nba-playoffs-thread-pt2.html)