Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever lost a Netflix DVD?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone has lost a DVD from Netflix before and how they handle the situation. Do they just charge you ~$20 bucks or do they charge you some rediculous fee or what?
Old 04-16-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Anyone ever lost a Netflix DVD?

I had 5 discs go missing in the mail at one time and I was never charged for them. I'm not sure what they do if the disc actually goes missing while in your possession. You'd probably be better off claiming that it got lost in the mail though. Not that I would condone such a thing.
Old 04-16-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

If it's lost in the mail, report it. If you had the disc and lost it, report that you lost it. I think I paid $20 for SWAT when I lost the disc. Be honest and do the right thing.
Old 04-16-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, i'm not going to try to get out of paying for the disc or anything. I was just curious if I happen to lose this disc would they charge an enormous amount or just the price of a regular DVD or what. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-16-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Is there any reason why you can't just buy the DVD someplace where it's on sale for like $5 and return that disc?
Old 04-16-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12
Is there any reason why you can't just buy the DVD someplace where it's on sale for like $5 and return that disc?

It's a movie that is a Netflix exclusive in Region 1 (Lilya-4-Ever). So you can't buy it anywhere.
I want to own this movie so bad, but the only way I can possibly own it is by "losing" the disc from Netflix and paying for it. It might sound bad but I figure as long as I am paying them for the worth of the disc then it isn't so bad.

Last edited by Maxflier; 04-16-09 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We joined Netflix recently. The friend who referred us said she was never charged for discs that were lost. Apparently the policy is pretty friendly.

We got Netflix when we were going to cancel Dish, but the obligation from the upgrade to high def was for 18 months, not 12, so we still have Dish. We've watched more movies since getting Netflix than ever before. It seems to be a better, and cheaper choice for us, even if we had to pay for an occasional loss. Well, once we can stop Dish, anyway. $15 per month instead of nearly $100? Yeah. The only thing I am going to miss is Discovery channel, and they sell most of their stuff boxed. I can afford a few lost discs.

I just hope the neighbor kids don't clue into those red envelopes clothespinned to our house mailbox.
Old 04-17-09, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I lost a disc once. They never charged me for it, just asked me to send it in if I ever found it, which I did a week or two later.

I shipped them a video game once, instead of their dvd. They promptly sent my game back in a normal envelope, with an email to send them their dvd at my earliest convenience.
Old 04-17-09, 06:00 AM

The thing is that when you buy a personal copy it is not for public viewings or resale. When a rental company buy it, they can pay 5-10 times as much as their license allows them to rent it out for profits.

So the loss to Netflix is not the same loss as we would incur from a lost DVD.
Old 04-17-09, 10:54 AM
Cool New Member

I have never been charged. Only ever lost 2 but I think they have their own insurance to cover any that get lost.
Old 04-17-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxflier
It's a movie that is a Netflix exclusive in Region 1 (Lilya-4-Ever). So you can't buy it anywhere.
I want to own this movie so bad, but the only way I can possibly own it is by "losing" the disc from Netflix and paying for it. It might sound bad but I figure as long as I am paying them for the worth of the disc then it isn't so bad.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Are you new here? You can own every DVD ever released for about $4-5 a film. See the DVD Bargains and DVD Clubs subforums.
Old 04-18-09, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by cpgator
Yes, I am new here , so thanks for that
Old 04-18-09, 02:25 PM

I did, and e-mailed them about it. Their customer service was great, and I didn't end up having to pay for the lost disc. They said if I found it, please send it back, but beyond that nothing more.
Old 04-18-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a blu go lost in the mail for several months. I notified them and they sent a replacement. I quit a while later and they never said a word. About three months after I quit the disk suddenly showed up in my mailbox unopened and undamaged. I have no idea where it was all that time. Lost in the PO, in the mail person's truck...?. I returned it in the normal way.
Old 05-10-09, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This turned out to be quite easy to resolve. It turns out there is link on your account page on their website for troubles with DVD's, and for a DVD that you have lost you just click a button that lets them pop you for a $20 charge.
Old 05-10-09, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I lost a copy of The Pope of Greenwich Village, and informed Netflix that it was lost after turning my my house upside down; they asked me to return it if it showed up. It turned up wedged between two cd cases a month later. I have feeling that if one were to "lose" any more discs, you would probably be dropped as a customer.
Old 05-13-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ben12
Can't really do this anymore since netflix started labeling their discs around the inner ring of the disc.
Old 05-13-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A good chunk of their discs are Netflix branded as well.
Old 05-21-09, 08:48 AM
Banned

I have a friend who has been known to order some "harder to find" or "more expensive" titles from Netflix and just says they were "lost in the mail". They never even question him. LOL! He just does it every few months to not raise any eyebrows.
Not condoning this of course ;-)
Just saying...

Last edited by dkedvd; 03-26-10 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-24-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dkedvd
I have a friend who has been known to order some "harder to find" or "more expensive" titles from Netflix and just says they were "lost in the mail". They never even question him. LOL! He just does it every few months to not raise any eyebrows.
Not condoning this of course ;-)
Just saying...
If you're just wanting the movie, why not simply burn it, so we don't have to worry about not being able to rent those "harder to find" movies?
Old 06-07-09, 09:58 PM

I have no idea if they charged me anything. I lost a DVD of the movie Kids somewhere in my mom's car.... we haven't found it even to this day, so I just emailed Netflix as soon as I could and told them it got lost.
Old 03-22-10, 08:12 PM

I reported it lost and they automatically charged me $14 for a season of Dexter. It also said if I find the disc within one year i can send it in for a refund. not bad if you ask me, i know i have it, i'm just too lazy to find it :P now i have a year w00t
Old 03-22-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy
I had a blu go lost in the mail for several months. I notified them and they sent a replacement. I quit a while later and they never said a word. About three months after I quit the disk suddenly showed up in my mailbox unopened and undamaged. I have no idea where it was all that time. Lost in the PO, in the mail person's Blu-Ray player...?. I returned it in the normal way.
Fixed ... (and I am an ex-postal worker before anybody acts outraged and offended) ...
Old 03-23-10, 12:54 AM

Since it's been brought up...does anyone else see a fair number of their discs show up with the tear off flap torn from where the outgoing address flap meets the strip with the adhesive for mailing it back? I've had a lot of these lately and even noticed a fingerprint on a NR a week or so ago. Just curious if this is typical or if the mailman is riding my subscription coattails...
Old 03-23-10, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I occasionally have one slightly torn, but not very often. If someone else is watching the disc, they are doing it too quickly for me to care.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.