Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDMI and DTS-MA / DD True 5.1 Questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm looking to upgrade my receiver to the Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS. It says it has HDMI inputs but does not specify if it decodes the new audio formats. On the higher models, the new audio formats are listed as supported. I was under the impression that all receivers with HDMI inputs support the new formats.
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PIOVSX82TXS
Old 04-15-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: HDMI and DTS-MA / DD True 5.1 Questions

No they do not.

If it is not listed, then the receiver does not "process" lossless.

That doesn't necessarily mean you cannot get lossless, but not that way.
Old 04-15-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did a google and found this,

"Quality Connections

For the latest in all-digital connectivity, VSX82TXV offers three HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. TBC Digital Video Conversion takes signals from older video sources (composite, S-Video, or component video), and can output them via HDMI so one wire is all that's needed from the receiver to the TV or monitor. All three HDMI inputs transfer huge amounts of high-definition audio and video, including 1080p signals from Blu-Ray Disc players, without any loss of quality or maze of wires. A Faroudja DCDi HD Video Scaler even converts lower-resolution video signals up to 480p, 720p, or 1080i resolutions through this receiver's HDMI output, so you can enjoy just about any content in the higher native resolution of your HDTV or monitor. Input terminals are configured for 7.1-channel processing for DTS-ES, DTS, Dolby Digital, and other multi-channel sources."

This would lead me to believe that the receiver itself does not "process" lossless. However, you might be able to get lossless thru HDMI if you BD player does. Do you happen to be using a PS3? You need to double and triple check, but I believe on a receiver like this the PS3 would process the lossless and output it via HDMI and thus you would get lossless (some correct me here if needed).

You could also get lossless via the analog inputs if your BD player has analog outputs.
Old 04-15-09, 09:15 PM

thanks for the help. I'm using a Pioneer Blu Ray player, no PS3. Currently running the analogs for the lossless. Would it even be worth an upgrade? Theres no difference between using analogs or HDMI for lossless correct?
Old 04-15-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Note that I'm aware of.
Old 04-16-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This receiver is HDMI 1.2a which, AFAIK, means it will accept audio over HDMI. So if your source is doing the decoding, you will send it to the receiver over HDMI. No additional wires needed.
Old 04-16-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
thanks for the help. I'm using a Pioneer Blu Ray player, no PS3. Currently running the analogs for the lossless. Would it even be worth an upgrade? Theres no difference between using analogs or HDMI for lossless correct?
Just 5 or 7 wires different. Or if there is a significant difference in the decoders maybe some could discern a sound difference, but there are so few decoders right now that this is not likely as almost everything uses the same ICs.
Old 04-18-09, 06:59 PM

It's been 5 years since I last purchased a receiver and I've been looking at the pictures of the back of some Pioneer units and don't see any AC outlets on the back of any of them. I've always used them to plug in my sub so it goes on at the same time as the receiver. Do receivers still have these???
Old 04-18-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Low-end receivers probably don't have them. You probably should not plug a sub into those outlets. Most subs have auto-on/off so they don't need that, anyway. I'd check the electrical specs carefully.
Old 04-18-09, 07:11 PM

I've been checking the entire line of Pioneer Elite and regular Pioneer receivers and none of them have them. I don't think I've ever owned a receiver that didnt have one on the back. I've always plugged my subs into receivers and never had a prob. Doesnt the auto on/off only work if it's plugged into the receiver?
Old 04-18-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope...it goes by signal.
Old 04-19-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I've always had those outlets, too. Must be a Pioneer thing these days. But the only products they are usually rated high enough to handle is an optical disc player, which really doesn't use much electricity.