Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba or Panasonic DTV-HDTV ???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba or Panasonic DTV-HDTV ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-00, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having a difficult time deciding which TV is the better purchase. I have narrowed my decission down to either the Toshiba TW56x81 or the Panasonic PT 56WXF95. Both sets are approximately the same price and have similar features. But which one is the better set? Could someone please help me out on this one? The only difference that I can see is that the Panasonic decodes 720p and the Toshiba does not. So what does this mean in the home setting if anything?
Old 05-01-00, 08:34 PM

Don't knock yourself out. Both sets are great and you will be happy with either.

You have already picked up the 720p issue. What that really means is that you will need to get a set-top-box that supports 720p, (assuming you want to use 720p -- and you should if you got it) Generally speaking, only Panasonic makes a 720p box, but the new Dish 6000 box is supposed to support 720p (not on the market yet). Panasonic is not producing boxes now because of the firewire issue, but you can still find them if you look hard enough. In the next three to six months you should be able to get the newest generation Panasonic box. 720p can be an important factor if your a purest and demand that signals be viewed in their orginal state, rather than coverting 720p to 1080i. (usually your local ABC and FOX) I could go on and on, but I will not bore you.

The Toshiba has the advantage of being able to scale 480p signals. My current Mits cannot do this and it is not a big deal to me. To some people this is very important -- although overrated IMHO.

I suggest you check out the info on www.avsforum.com HDTV forum. IMHO, it is the best source for honest HD talk.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 05-02-00, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>
I am having a difficult time deciding which TV is the better purchase. I have narrowed my decission down to either the Toshiba TW56x81 or the Panasonic PT 56WXF95. Both sets are approximately the same price and have similar features. But which one is the better set? Could someone please help me out on this one?<HR>

I was going to get the Panasonic, until I got a side-by-side comparison with the Pioneer SD582. The 582 has extra features, including 72-point convergence adjustment and a slightly wider screen, even though it sells for the same price.

Cheers, RD