Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Lionsgate DVD's at Blockbuster

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lionsgate DVD's at Blockbuster

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum (and also sorry if a similar thread exists somewhere else... I made a few searches and came out empty-handed). Feel free to move it if necessary.
A few months ago, I bought the "Rambo" DVD from Blockbuster (in one of their 3 for $20 sales) after finding out that the disc they had for sale was in fact the first disc of the two-disc edition.
Lionsgate is one of those studios with the (IMHO) horrible habit of releasing two different DVD editions for a lot of their movies, where the first one is a bare-bones single disc edition and the second one is a two-disc edition with all the special features on the first disc and only a digital download of the movie on the second one (which makes me wonder why they don't just put the special features on the single disc edition as well).
Today, I noticed that the Transporter 3 DVD that you can rent (not for sale as "Previously viewed" at my Blockbuster yet) is also the first disc of the two-disc edition.
Do you know of other movies (Lionsgate or not) for which Blockbuster offers
a similar "deal"?

Here is a list of DVD's sold (or rented) by Blockbuster as "Previously viewed", where the DVD has been confirmed as being the first disc of the two-disc edition:

- The Bank Job
- The Eye
- The Forbidden Kingdom
- Punisher: War Zone
- Rambo
- The Transformer 3
- Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns

Last edited by Macfly77; 04-15-09 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Lionsgate DVD's at Blockbuster

The Bank Job & Punisher: War Zone were also like that....
Old 04-14-09, 03:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FOX films like Slumdog Millionaire.
Old 04-14-09, 03:22 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Not too sure if Lionsgate is doing the same thing, but Video Business News recently reported that numerous studios are releasing DVDs exclusively for video stores that contain absolutely no extras.

According to the article, the studios have long disliked the second-hand video market and think that it lessens the value of their movies long-term. So, they decided to release these amazingly bare-bone versions to video stores in an effort to pump up regular DVD sales. Of course the copies purchased in stores will have all the extras.

I'm sure a number of you recently read that Amazon and other retailers were accidentally provided the video-store version of Slumdog Millionaires instead of the retail store version. Now they're having to spend thousands of dollars to send out new discs.

So, the question is: How long will this new scheme last before retailers and video stores revolt?

Last edited by rich-y; 04-14-09 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 03:56 PM

This is one of the few things I appreciate about Blockbuster. Buying these DVDs used in this fashion allows one to skip the whole paying-extra-for-a-digital-copy-just-so-you-can-get-the-special-features thing. However, it is only some two-disc editions that follow this trend, that's true. This is a good thread to maybe put together a list of them.
Old 04-14-09, 04:30 PM

It's been the great thing about Blockbuster. This also reains true to The Eye and Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns and Vantage Point. No doubt there will be many more to come.
Old 04-14-09, 08:18 PM

Great deal. In for one!
Old 04-14-09, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
This is one of the few things I appreciate about Blockbuster. Buying these DVDs used in this fashion allows one to skip the whole paying-extra-for-a-digital-copy-just-so-you-can-get-the-special-features thing. However, it is only some two-disc editions that follow this trend, that's true. This is a good thread to maybe put together a list of them.
Putting a list together sounds like a great idea.
Having a Blockbuster near my workplace, I could take your submissions, check Blockbuster's DVD's against them (just to confirm) and add them to the first post (and keep it updated as we go).
Old 04-14-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know what studio did Rocknrolla, but I'd be interested to know which copy BB carries. They came out w/2 versions, one bare-bones and another 2-disc w/special features on disc1 and digital copy on disc2. Does anyone know if the copy at BB has the special features (commentary, etc.)?
Old 04-14-09, 11:00 PM

Warner released RocknRolla....
Old 04-15-09, 12:37 AM

BBV has the barebones RockNRolla. They also have the SE of Forbidden Kingdom. V is hit or miss with what they carry. Like most often they will carry the Unrated version of most films but then only the rated versions of others. So you never know what you will get. Another weird thing is that they carry the barebones Tropic Thunder, but the cover art is the same as the 2-disc (minus the special features, of course).
Old 04-15-09, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SLASHFACE
BBV has the barebones RockNRolla. Another weird thing is that they carry the barebones Tropic Thunder, but the cover art is the same as the 2-disc (minus the special features, of course).
Thanks...I'll pass on RocknRolla then. I was wondering about Tropic Thunder, bc on the back on the cover it says "commentaries." So you've watched their copy and there are no commentaries?
Old 04-15-09, 03:54 PM

Went to Blockbuster today and confirmed that The Forbidden Kingdom, The Bank Job, Punisher: War Zone, The Eye and Meet the Browns are the first disc of the two-disc editions (that is to say with all the special features and none of the digital copies).
Apart from that, Blockbuster does indeed have the barebones version of Rocknrolla, the "as barebones as it gets" version of Slumdog Millionaire and the single-disc edition of Vantage Point, which appears to carry the same special features as the first disc of the two-disc version.
Old 04-15-09, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
Thanks...I'll pass on RocknRolla then. I was wondering about Tropic Thunder, bc on the back on the cover it says "commentaries." So you've watched their copy and there are no commentaries?
It may have commentaries, but none of the other 2-disc features. I was just saying that the artwork on their cover is the same as the 2-disc retail version for some strange reason.