Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Mini-Amplifier??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-00, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a mini-amplifier (of sorts) to connect my computer's sound card into.

You see, at work I listen to music all day, and maybe I'm just being overly picky, but I'd like to have a cleaner more powerfull sound to my headphones.

Is there a relativaly cheap way of doing this?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 04-27-00, 10:31 PM

Recently I got myself a Musical Fidelity X-CanV2 from www.audioadvisor.com , it only drives headphones so it is really "mini" in a sense for your use. (I assume you're in an office enviroment where bookself speakers are impossible rite?)

However, this headphone amp will blow you away (provide that you have a really decent headphones -- Grados, Sennheiser HD580 etc; no cheapo Sony or Panasonic headophones please), then most of the 3000+ speakers, trust me, it's well worth the price.

For further review of this Can, please go to http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/A...uct_3229.shtml

------------------
Rheuter http://www.dvdtracker.com/~rheuter.asp
Old 04-28-00, 06:48 PM

Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Couple more questions.. the Sennheiser HD-580 headphones are a little pricey. How are their lower price models like the HD-570?

Also, since my computer's sound card only has mini-jack hook-ups (no line level, either), will I have any problems?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 04-28-00, 08:36 PM

Glad to be at service...

For the headphone, try www.ubid.com , they have HD-580 (come with the so-called virtual DPL processor) for sell and usually you can get it for 130 to 150 shipped.

Even though they say it's reseal, when I got mine it's totally new, the box hasn't been opened before, nor the phone jack does not have a single scratch, so it's a cool deal.

Musical Fidelity X-CanV2, on the other hand, is a bit pricey, Audio Advisor is selling them for $270, plus shipping, but it's worth every single penny for this Can, very good performance.

Now I'd have doubt to hook up my computer to my X-Can because PC soundcard will generate lots of noises and those are bad for your hi-end equipment... so if I got X-Can and HD-580, I'd just get a decent cd player to hook it up to, and don't use your computer's CD-ROM as CD player coz it generates lots of noises too.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

------------------
Old 04-29-00, 03:43 PM
SS

I have my computer attached to a cheap
pioneer reciever with a sherwood sat/sub
system that is not powered. It did not cost
much and sound way better than computer
speakers.
Old 05-02-00, 02:47 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Charlie:
Is it correct that this amp has tubes or valves that can only operate for so many ten thousand hours? Do you just replace the parts then or what?

<HR>

For the HD-580, ubid has them on and off (i.e. if today you can't find them today, try tomorrow), and never place bid for more than 150 with shipping.

And yes, you're correct, the X-CanV2 is using tubes, so therefore after leaving it 10 to 12 years of continuously on you should worry about getting new tubes... or maybe you've already upgrade to another amps by that time.

------------------