Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Hunt Is On: The Official Gabriel Hunt Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hunt Is On: The Official Gabriel Hunt Thread

Charles Ardai, the man behind Hard Case Crime, does it again. But instead of pulp detective novels, he's bringing back the pulp adventure novel in the tradition of Edgar Rice Burroughs and Doc Savage. The adventures of Gabriel Hunt begin on April 28th and continue each month. You can check out the site for more information.

I for one can't wait for this series. I've always enjoyed adventure stories like Indiana Jones, so for me, this series of books will be on the top of my reading list every month, especially if the stories are as well done as those found in the Hard Case Crime line.

Here's the information on the first book hitting stands soon. As you can see, the HCC tradition of featuring fantastic pulp covers continues with the Gabriel Hunt series:

The woman carrying the bloodstained flag seemed desperate for help—but it was the attack that followed that convinced Gabriel there was something here men would kill for. And that was before he knew about the dungeon in the Mayan ruins, or the legendary secret hidden in the rain forest of Guatemala...

* First publication anywhere!
* This tale of Gabriel Hunt was penned with the kind assistance of acclaimed crime, western, and military novelist JAMES REASONER, author of more than 200 books.
* Reasoner wrote the authoritative 10-volume Civil War Battle series, which supplies some of the historical background for HUNT AT THE WELL OF ETERNITY.
* PUBLISHERS WEEKLY gives WELL OF ETERNITY a starred review: "Raises the action bar to nosebleed heights...Pulp adventure fans will be thrilled to see the genre so smashingly resurrected."

Raves for the Work of James Reasoner...

"Outstanding...captivating."
— Publishers Weekly

"The scene is almost mythic...This is the real thing."
— Booklist

Last edited by bishop2knight; 04-13-09 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-13-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: The Hunt Is On: The Official Gabriel Hunt Thread

Awesome! And I recently got this email broadcast from Charles Ardai:

Friends,

I don't plan to send you e-mail every time someone reviews one of the Gabriel Hunt books, but we recently got our very first review -- in PUBLISHERS WEEKLY, the bible of the publishing business -- and it's a doozy. To begin with, it's a starred review (only a handful of titles each week receive this distinction). And the reviewer really seems to have had a good time:

----------
James Reasoner (the Civil War Battle series) is the first to take the shared Hunt pen name and launch an adventure series that raises the action bar to nosebleed heights. After a mysterious beauty delivers a bloodstained Confederate flag and a whiskey bottle full of water to the Hunt brothers at a fund-raising reception, millionaire adventurer Gabriel Hunt and beautiful, gun-toting museum director Dr. Cierra Almanzar follow clues and an ambiguous map from Manhattan to Guatemala, only certain they're on the right path when somebody's shooting at them. Hunt, armed only with his fists, bullwhips, a Colt .45 double-action Peacemaker and a vintage Civil War muzzle loader, is often outnumbered but never outwitted. Pulp adventure fans will be thrilled to see the genre so smashingly resurrected.
----------

The book in question, HUNT AT THE WELL OF ETERNITY, hits stores in just three weeks. If you haven't already asked your local bookseller to hold a copy for you (or pre-ordered it online), feel free to call Dorchester Publishing directly at 1-800-481-9191 -- they'll be glad to ship you a copy as soon as it becomes available.

Whichever way you go, I hope you'll join us for the big launch!

Best,
Charles
----------
Charles Ardai
Editor
Old 04-14-09, 04:32 PM

I wonder if there is any chance of seeing these published for the Kindle as well. I'll pick it up either way as this is right up my alley but it would be nice to have them on my kindle.
Old 04-18-09, 12:23 PM

I can already see the movie in my head.

These novels plus PS3's Uncharted make me all giddy for pulp adventure yarns.
Old 04-27-09, 09:14 PM

Just found this at my local B&N, so watch for it!
Old 04-28-09, 08:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Eager to pick this up. I've read some positive reviews (example).
Old 04-28-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got my copy today. Despite not liking that spine design, I'm looking forward to reading this. If all goes well, I'll start tonight.
Old 04-29-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got about 50 pages into the book last night. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be: a little bit of mystery, a little bit of romance, and a whole lot of action.

But if they're going to have Gabriel Hunt's name on the cover, which means he wrote the book, why is it in 3rd person?
Old 04-29-09, 10:51 AM

Interview with Charles Ardai on the new Hunt series -- it's a long read, but engaging:

http://www.theraider.net/features/in...briel_hunt.php
Old 04-29-09, 10:59 AM

Thanks Geofferson. That's the second time I've read that the Hunt books are a "series of 6 novels." Interesting way to start...

From the intereview...

Do you plan to have the Gabriel Hunt series continue after the currently scheduled six books?

Ardai: It's up to the readers. If the first six do well, I'm sure Dorchester will want to do more, and if they sell poorly, they probably won't. I definitely think there are more than six good stories we can tell about the character, so I would like to do so
Old 05-04-09, 09:42 AM

From Charles Ardai...

Friends,

The reception the book has gotten has been warm and welcoming. Among other coverage we've received, I thought you might be interested in two interviews that have appeared, one on Time magazine's Web site and one on TheRaider.net, the leading Web site that covers the world of Indiana Jones. If you're curious, here's a link to the Time magazine piece...and here's one to the piece on TheRaider.net.

If you're curious to read a bit of HUNT THROUGH THE CRADLE OF FEAR (or any of the other books in the series) now, remember you can find sample chapters of each on our Web site, www.HuntForAdventure.com. And if you have any questions for me or for Mr. Hunt, feel free to send 'em along. The big guy's always jetting off to one corner of the globe or another, but you can usually count on getting a reply from one of us fairly quickly...

Best,
Charles
---------
Charles Ardai
Editor
Old 05-13-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finished up the first book and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was just nice to sit back to an action-packed adventure. I look forward to subsequent novels.
Old 05-14-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pleasantly suprised by this book. Impulse buy at the store. It took me a bit back when I saw it wasn't set in the typical era of the adventure novel. But it was a very good read.
Old 05-15-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by burnside986
I was pleasantly suprised by this book. Impulse buy at the store. It took me a bit back when I saw it wasn't set in the typical era of the adventure novel. But it was a very good read.
Yeah, being a modern telling threw me a bit, too. The first use of a cell phone, for example. Good thing those modern bits weren't too prevalent.
Old 08-06-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just started reading the second volume last night. It's started with a flurry of action, that's for sure.
Old 08-10-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished Hunt Through the Cradle of Fear last night. Great little read. Nothing but action. I wasn't expecting the book to end around page 220 (there's an additional non-Hunt related novela included) but even that minor hiccup couldn't hamper the fun I had with this romp.

Can't wait for the next one.
Old 08-10-09, 02:18 PM

And just to get the word out, Cradle of Fear is on shelves now.

Old 11-03-09, 02:50 PM

At World's End is on shelves now.

Old 11-03-09, 04:03 PM

Publishers Weekly has selected Hunt at the Well of Eternity as one of their Top 100 Books of 2009 (and one of five PB originals to make the list).
Old 11-04-09, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got all three so far, eagerly anticipating the continuation of this series.
Old 04-01-10, 10:45 AM

Beyond the Frozen Fire is available now, and it's written by Christa Faust. Getting some good buzz.

Old 04-05-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jason, does Ardai pay you to pimp his books? If not, he should.
Old 04-05-10, 10:28 AM

Faust is a very talented writer -- looking forward to reading this.

Last edited by Geofferson; 04-05-10 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 10:58 AM

I'm reading this on my Kindle right now and I'm about 30% done. So far so good. I like how each book as a different pace (obviously due to the different authors). This is much different than Christa Faust's HCC entry so far (not unexpected given the different subject matter). Anyway, I love these books and I hope they keep printing them!
Old 04-06-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just about finished with the latest installment, and I have to say, I'm enjoying the hell out of this latest installment. Faust is channeling a bit of Edgar Rice Burroughs with this one. This book manages to fit the style of the series yet step outside the box just a little to make it feel fresh.

Pulpy adventure, damsels in distress, and strong writing always lead to a great read.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.