Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anvil! - The Story of Anvil (2009)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-12-09, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen users mention this, and Brian Orndorf has a glowing review of it up on DvdTalk, but haven't seen a thread for it yet.

For those unfamiliar with the band and the movie:

Anvil have been around just about as long as the metal genre has; they're right there with Black Sabbath as progenitors of metal; they laid the groundwork for what bands like Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, etc would build upon throughout the 80's and beyond. Basically, they were the first speed metal / thrash band.

The difference between Anvil and other iconic metal bands such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, or Motorhead? Most people have never heard of them. They're a band that [I]should have[I] taken the world by storm in the 80's, but sadly never rose above "opening act" status despite their talent, influence, and perseverance.

The film looks fantastic, and judging by the reviews it will most certainly be a classic documentary about not only metal music, but also what it really means to have a "dream" that you just won't let go of no matter what.

http://anvilmovie.com/

Of note is the way the nationwide premier is being rolled out in the next week: instead of opening at small/arthouse theaters, the film will be shown at rock clubs with the band performing after wards! I'm going to try and catch it on April 22nd when it hits Chicago. $15 for a movie AND a metal show can't be beat, honestly!
Old 04-12-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Anvil! - The Story of Anvil (2009)

Sadly i can say i remember them Maybe has something to do with them being from here(Canada) and i was a metal head in the 80's when they were in their "prime".Was really surprised when i heard about this project but from what im now hearing about how it turned out im interested to see it.

Here's them back in the 80's:

Old 04-12-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm so many rave reviews on this.

Seen them(two main members) on CNN, and somewhere else talking about the film.

I'm gonna check this out.
Old 04-12-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 835 Likes on 583 Posts

Unfortunately I remember the band which did pretty well in the Canadian metal scene. I hated (still do) metal and I couldn't stand this band.

After watching the trailer last week and reading all the rave reviews (currently at 98% on Rottentomatoes) I'll definitely check this out.
Old 04-12-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched this tonight, really enjoyed it. Ranks up there with King of Kong. I hope the release of the documentary finally gives Anvil their due.
Old 04-12-09, 10:21 PM

No offense to Anvil, because I do like them for what they are (although, they aren't probably in my top 20 thrash bands), but I'm a huge metal fan and think there are tons of other innovative bands just in the metal genre that never got their dues and personally I think a lot of them were better. So, while I can certainly feel a little bad for Anvil it's not like they are the only good/innovative/original metal band to never receive a lot of recognition.

Still, I plan on seeing this and thought the trailer looked good.
Old 04-12-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts

Speaking as a HUGE Heavy Metal fan from the 80's I always thought of Anvil as a decent band that was VERY earnest in what they did, but had a cheese factor that was just a little to big for most people to take them all that seriously.

Still, I think it's cool that a documentary has been made about these guys. I'm sure it's an interesting story.
Old 04-13-09, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the info. The first few times I'd seen the trailer on VH1, I thought it was one of those fake movie promotions.
Old 04-13-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it kind of is. It's a mock/documentary. I was sold when I thought it was all 100% legit, but I might still go see it for what it is.
Old 04-14-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Well, it kind of is. It's a mock/documentary. I was sold when I thought it was all 100% legit, but I might still go see it for what it is.
I'm pretty sure it IS 100% legit, as much as any documentary is legit. Certainly there are no actors playing characters in the movie anyway.

I saw it and I'm working on a review. Slowly.
Old 04-17-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, now I'm interested. The first line of The New Yorker's review:
The most stirring release of the year thus far is a documentary.
Old 04-17-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's an article in this weeks Newsweek comparing the movie to Spinal Tap
Old 04-17-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
There's an article in this weeks Newsweek comparing the movie to Spinal Tap
Every article on the film has done so. It's an inevitable comparison, bolstered by the coincidental fact that the drummer in Anvil is named Robb Reiner.
Old 04-17-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
It's not a mock documentary at all, it's completely straight.
Old 05-13-09, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely an enjoyable flick. I think their music is complete crap, but still fascinating to see how people deal with life when left behind and continuing on. Also an interesting look into friendships. There were a few Spinal Tap moments even though nothing is gonna touch the comedy of that.
Old 05-13-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
It's not a mock documentary at all, it's completely straight.
I remember reading that some scenes, such as them missing thier train, were staged. I'm wondering what else was scripted? The argument with the bar manager certainly seemed a bit forced.

I thought the movie was pretty good, but their music just wasn't all that great and the whole thing just kind of meandered around until the end. It was enjoyable, but not nearly as engaging as I expected it to be. All the glad-handing from bigger musicians in the beginning felt contrived and out of place.
Old 05-13-09, 03:11 PM

On the 23rd of May, the Belcourt Theatre here in Nashville is showing the movie followed by a performance from the band! Can't wait.
Old 05-14-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Speaking as a HUGE Heavy Metal fan from the 80's I always thought of Anvil as a decent band that was VERY earnest in what they did, but had a cheese factor that was just a little to big for most people to take them all that seriously.

Still, I think it's cool that a documentary has been made about these guys. I'm sure it's an interesting story.

Agree, I had a couple of their albums and found them to be OK.
Old 05-27-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Just saw this earlier. I liked it a lot. Not a huge fan of the music but the story was interesting.
Old 05-27-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DullandWitless
On the 23rd of May, the Belcourt Theatre here in Nashville is showing the movie followed by a performance from the band! Can't wait.
Darn, I wont be in Nashville until tomorrow!

Oh well, I'm still going to see the movie either tomorrow or the next day. I love the Belcourt in Nashville!
Old 05-30-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You know what's incredible? This movie has gotten big buzz all year. Now it's making the rounds, Lips and Robb have been on a billion talk shows, and...

ANVIL STILL DOESN'T HAVE A U.S. RECORD DEAL!

Go to the store, try and buy an Anvil CD. If you find anything it's used or an import. See if you can find classics like Metal on Metal.
Old 05-31-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a few of their albums in the 80's. Some songs were good some werent
but it was good enough to buy.
Still don't have any of their cd's though as they are mostly imports and highly priced.
I had Metal on Metal and Hard n Heavy. I would get these cd's but again, overpriced
The movie I would check out definetly.

Last edited by JOE29; 05-31-09 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-31-09, 09:57 PM
Suspended

I really want to check this out - even Ebert liked it!
Old 06-05-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched this documentary last night, and found it touching. The film starts out with big acts like Lars from Metallica, Motorhead and Slash all giving homage to Anvil as major pioneers and inspiration. Yet, they never got their glory, and was ripped off by other acts.

My thought is why don't these guys help em out? Metallica has millions and millions. Could they throw their heroes in need a bone?

At the lowest point in the film, the guys play in a bar and like only 5 people show up to listen to them. The funniest part was when they go to EMI to demo their new cd, and the guy turns it off at 5 seconds of playing.

The fact is Anvil's music is pretty generic 80's metal which is a dead genre anyways. Glad these guys got some recognition with the film though.
Old 06-05-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it in Nashville last week like I said I would do. I thought it was incredible, and way more touching than I thought it would be. As I watched it I kept thinking they were going to end it by them deciding to shoot a documentary of the band at a last attempt at fame.

I saw this the day after Up, and some of the themes are quite similar.

I also have a feeling that the DVD/BD release will have a ton of deleted scenes, if not a flat out longer cut, so I can't wait for that if it happens.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.