DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/09/09

Title:
Spoiler:
The Dragon Slayer

Episode Description:

Spoiler:
The Jalapao and Timbira tribes merge. Jeff Probst is the host.
Old 04-09-09, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/09/09

Hello? Is this thing working?

I thought it was an interesting episode and because of the end result a lot of big plans were either put on hold or dashed all together. I guess we'll find out next week.

Chris
Old 04-10-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Whoever picked Steven in the DVDTalk Survivor game should start counting their money (not sure what you guys are playing for). That guy is in the best position of any survivor in recent history. He has 2-3 alliances (the 4 person, him and JT, and the new 5 person...although one of the 3 will die soon) and has a hidden immunity. He's smart, not physically intimidating, and isn't too outspoken (he seems to wait to talk when spoken to). I guarantee he quit the challenge and didn't drop. He knew he was safe and you don't want to look too strong in the first individual challenge.

He'll definitely be in the finale, now he just has to secure votes and find a way not to screw over too many people in his allianceS (or put the blame on others). He'd be smart to take Taj with him to the finals, because she screwed herself out of the money the minute the name "Mrs. Eddie George" came out of her mouth.

Last edited by dino88; 04-10-09 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-10-09, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be pissed if I won the challenge only for it to not count. Everyone basically wasted time doing a challenge. How fair is that?
Old 04-10-09, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by runner001
I would be pissed if I won the challenge only for it to not count. Everyone basically wasted time doing a challenge. How fair is that?
Isn't not like the producers did something sneaky. What would have preferred that the guy lose his leg so that people wouldn't be pissed?

I'm never a big fan of anyone on these shows who just insults people for the sake of being mean, so I hope whatever is name with the blonde hair doesn't get much further or, at least, the final 3. He can be funny, but I'm just can't get past the nasty comments. Arrogance is just as annoying as incompetence on Survivor.

I sure hope something changes with the 3 extra days, because it's just so obvious right now what will happen and I'm really not confident that anything can happen to change it. My only hope is that the extra time will allow Steven to plan something, feel more confident, and not play the idol, so Sierra stays around a little bit longer. I have a feeling if they had had tribal, Steven would have known he was on the block, used the idol, and Sierra would have been voted out.

I'm still getting over the loss of Sydney.

I really don't see why Jeff was so high on coach. He's weird, a bit interesting, terrible so far in challenges, but Jeff was writing early on that this guy MADE this season because of his personality and/or behavior. I haven't seen anything nearly like that so far.
Old 04-10-09, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Isn't not like the producers did something sneaky. What would have preferred that the guy lose his leg so that people wouldn't be pissed?

I'm never a big fan of anyone on these shows who just insults people for the sake of being mean, so I hope whatever is name with the blonde hair doesn't get much further or, at least, the final 3. He can be funny, but I'm just can't get past the nasty comments. Arrogance is just as annoying as incompetence on Survivor.

I sure hope something changes with the 3 extra days, because it's just so obvious right now what will happen and I'm really not confident that anything can happen to change it. My only hope is that the extra time will allow Steven to plan something, feel more confident, and not play the idol, so Sierra stays around a little bit longer. I have a feeling if they had had tribal, Steven would have known he was on the block, used the idol, and Sierra would have been voted out.

I'm still getting over the loss of Sydney.

I really don't see why Jeff was so high on coach. He's weird, a bit interesting, terrible so far in challenges, but Jeff was writing early on that this guy MADE this season because of his personality and/or behavior. I haven't seen anything nearly like that so far.
You are right, he is just as bad as the insulter. His high opinion of himself is silly. But I bet when he watches this he'll think "Wow I am so cool on TV". What a maroon.
Old 04-10-09, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 621 Likes on 500 Posts

I know they won't do it, but I think Tyson's challenge win should carry over to the next tribal council. That was a very difficult challenge (I'm not sure how his toes didn't break) and to have it mean nothing is pretty bogus. I'm also not sure why they still couldn't have a vote-off.

That being said, he is a douche.
Old 04-10-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I know they won't do it, but I think Tyson's challenge win should carry over to the next tribal council. That was a very difficult challenge (I'm not sure how his toes didn't break) and to have it mean nothing is pretty bogus. I'm also not sure why they still couldn't have a vote-off.
One less episode equals less money for CBS. Duh.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
That being said, he is a douche.
When he was talking about kissing the small of that guys back that was unbelievably creepy. That guy is something else.
Old 04-10-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gaw! I cannot stand Tyson or "Coach". I hope something happens and they both get the boot.
Old 04-10-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by auto
One less episode equals less money for CBS. Duh.
I considered that. They could easily stretch out another episode into 2 with a to-be-continued.
Old 04-10-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Jeff's blog about this episode--interesting as usual.

I'm sure they definitely didn't have tribal council because voting off one more would have messed up their timeline, the games they had built, etc. But it sure was a drag that Joe got voted off.

I disagree that it's clear what's going to happen. If Brenden--who thinks the secret alliance is still good--can get to Taj over the next couple days, I think she'll be up with going along with it still. Stephen's the one in a hard place. If he goes with his secret alliance, he betrays his alliance with Coach. If he goes with Coach, he betrays his secret alliance. He'll have to think fast on his feet to make it through this.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 04-10-09 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-10-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Seemed like a real waste of time episode. I KNEW that all the time they were plotting and scheming that Joe was going home.

And Tyson somehow managed to be even weirder than Coach this episode. Ewww...
Old 04-10-09, 08:58 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Stephen is a tool for even considering aligning with Tyson/Coach/Debbie. They'll vote him and TJ off as soon as they get to the Final 5 and Tyson/Coach are stronger competitors for individual immunities. He should just stay with TJ and the Exile Island alliance. Once they get to the Final 5, he can align with Taj and vote off Brendan and Sierra.
Old 04-10-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Unless Coach is holding back, he has demonstrated very little indication that he is a strong competitor for individual immunity.
Old 04-10-09, 10:13 AM

I'm not sure I agree that Tyson's individual immunity should carry over to next week. I understand the thought process, but his win guaranteed he'd stay in the game for another week. Joe going home due to injury made Tribal Council no longer necessary, but Tyson is still in the game, so the Survivor producer's didn't really cheat him out of anything.
Old 04-10-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This has to be one of the worst seasons of survior yet. Theres no one to root for and its been overall pretty boring
Old 04-10-09, 11:35 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gotta disagree, I think it's one of the best seasons in a long time. Lots of strong personalities and more guys that think they're the alpha male than are usually left in the game at this point. I also think this has been a very scenic and interesting location.
Old 04-10-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I don't think it's been boring - at least compared to the first halves of other seasons.
Old 04-10-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty

I'm sure they definitely didn't have tribal council because voting off one more would have messed up their timeline, the games they had built, etc. But it sure was a drag that Joe got voted off.

I disagree that it's clear what's going to happen. If Brenden--who thinks the secret alliance is still good--can get to Taj over the next couple days, I think she'll be up with going along with it still. Stephen's the one in a hard place. If he goes with his secret alliance, he betrays his alliance with Coach. If he goes with Coach, he betrays his secret alliance. He'll have to think fast on his feet to make it through this.

Thanks for the link. I can never find the damn blog.

I hate most people in this season, especailly cocky and douchebag. Its cut the head off a snake, not a dragon, you prick!
Old 04-11-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,039 Likes on 857 Posts

I don't think it was a waste either. Sure, we knew no one was going to get voted off, but it was still interesting to see the planning, and if Brendan wins next immunity it'll throw everything off. Or as JuryDuty said, he gets a few extra days to renew things with Taj.

Was just wondering if everyone (or just her tribe) had heard about the Eddie George thing, and imagined Stephen dropping that bomb in final tribal council.

Erinn's ribs look extra-bony in HD.
Old 04-11-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,039 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Glad Jeff said that Joe is fine I agree with the forced-evacuation policy.
Old 04-11-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Tyson is hilarious....I've got Coach in the $$$$ pool, so we'll see how long he lasts :P
Old 04-11-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

For those that think Tyson is weird or a douche, you really just don't get his sense of humor. He's obviously kidding as he says all this stuff in such dry, sarcastic ways. I think he's hilarious and by far my favorite Survivor this season.

As for Coach, now he's an arrogant douche. But I'll give him credit, he's playing a good game. He has two sides trusting him. Him and Tyson are unbreakable, they have Debbie right with them and now he's brought in JT and Stephen. He's in a good spot to go deep in the game.

I'm liking the 4 way alliance with Tyson, Coach, JT and Stephen. They're all good competitors. If they do end up making it to the end, then you can honestly say that for the first time in awhile there are 4 guys that played the game well instead of 2 people that played the game well and 1 person that is just tagging along.
Old 04-11-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
For those that think Tyson is weird or a douche, you really just don't get his sense of humor. He's obviously kidding as he says all this stuff in such dry, sarcastic ways. I think he's hilarious and by far my favorite Survivor this season.

As for Coach, now he's an arrogant douche. But I'll give him credit, he's playing a good game. He has two sides trusting him. Him and Tyson are unbreakable, they have Debbie right with them and now he's brought in JT and Stephen. He's in a good spot to go deep in the game.
Completely agree about Tyson. I've liked him from the start and completely get the fact that he's just playing for the camera. He's obviously seen the show and is just trying to entertain the audience. The episode of unseen footage that aired a couple weeks back showed him more in this light without just editing in his quips. He seems to be having the most fun out there and not taking things too seriously. He also seems very well liked by the tribe and able to keep them all sane with his personality.

But I have to disagree with you on your other statement about Coach and Tyson being unbreakable. Tyson is only riding that Coach alliance until it no longer benefits him. He basically said this in the episode where Coach first approached him about an alliance. Remember his response to being the "assistant coach"? He's letting Coach take all the heat as the "leader" and sitting back knowing at least he's safe until he's gone. Coach may think he's a good player by getting an alliance together, but anyone can do that. These people he teamed up with last episode (JT and Steven) would have taken an alliance with anyone. The problem with Coach is that half the tribe knows where he stands and know every trick he has up his sleeve because he let's it be known. That is where Tyson and Steven come in as the better players. They use what they can to their advantage while keeping their true motives inside. Tyson's problems will come when the tribe dwindles and they remember him winning the first individual immunity. He should have never shown his strength at competitions that early. That is why I see Steven in best position to win...if he secures votes.

Last edited by dino88; 04-11-09 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-11-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
Completely agree about Tyson. I've liked him from the start and completely get the fact that he's just playing for the camera. He's obviously seen the show and is just trying to entertain the audience. The episode of unseen footage that aired a couple weeks back showed him more in this light without just editing in his quips. He seems to be having the most fun out there and not taking things too seriously. He also seems very well liked by the tribe and able to keep them all sane with his personality.

But I have to disagree with you on your other statement about Coach and Tyson being unbreakable. Tyson is only riding that Coach alliance until it no longer benefits him. He basically said this in the episode where Coach first approached him about an alliance. Remember his response to being the "assistant coach"? He's letting Coach take all the heat as the "leader" and sitting back knowing at least he's safe until he's gone. Coach may think he's a good player by getting an alliance together, but anyone can do that. These people he teamed up with last episode (JT and Steven) would have taken an alliance with anyone. The problem with Coach is that half the tribe knows where he stands and know every trick he has up his sleeve because he let's it be known. That is where Tyson and Steven come in as the better players. They use what they can to their advantage while keeping their true motives inside. Tyson's problems will come when the tribe dwindles and they remember him winning the first individual immunity. He should have never shown his strength at competitions that early. That is why I see Steven in best position to win...if he secures votes.

I agree too. It may have just been editing, but I loved how Steven & JT realized they had enough votes to split the vote against Sierra/Brendan and they brought it up with Tyson who then took it to Coach. I loved how it then became Coach's plan the entire time That's exactly the kind of player you align with, and Tyson's smart for doing so!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.