Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need Help?Toshiba6109C w.EnergyTake5\es8 what Accessories are needed to connect them?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need Help?Toshiba6109C w.EnergyTake5\es8 what Accessories are needed to connect them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-00, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I konw these sound stupid, but I never own any audio system before other than bombbox, so bear with me

From what I read in this site, I come up
1) speaker wires
2) Subwoofer wire
3) Some plugs??

My question are:
1) Is Monster Cable XPFP-20 20' ok?
2) are speaker and subwoofer use different cable?
3) Do I need any plugs to connect the cable to speaker ,subwoofer and 6109c, I have read some one said the take5's speakers have build in banana plug, is this ture? Do I need other plug?

Thanks alot and I really appreciate any help.

Old 05-01-00, 02:12 AM
AW

1. Whether any speaker wire is ok is subjective. If it sounds ok to you, its ok. If you can find it, try Tara Klara cable. Radio Shack Mega Cable is ok also (at under $1.00 per foot).

2. You will need enough speaker wire to connect 5 speakers.

3. You will need an RCA cable to connect the sub. Monster makes a subwoofer cable, but any heavy duty cable with RCA plugs on both ends will do - for a less expensive alternative, try Radio Shack (you also can use RG-6 cable terminated with RCA plugs.

4. You do not need plugs terminating the speaker wire unless you go to 12 ga wire. The take 5's have binding posts that will accept bare wire. They will accept banana plugs only if you remove a black plastic plug from the center of the binding post (this seems to be a common issue with Canadian speakers). They also will accept spade connectors and pin connectors. The 6109C has spring clip speaker connectors, so bare wire is your best bet there.

You will connect the Take 5s (front left right and center and rear left and right) just like any other speakers, directly to the speaker outs on the 6109C. You should connect the ES-8 to the subwoofer out jack on the 6109C -- do not use the speaker level inputs on the sub. (by the way, you might want to try the ES-10 (or whatever it was replaced by -- the E-XL10, I think) as an alternative to the ES-8. It is a bit more expensive, but has more punch. The ES-8 is good, but it still is an 8" subwoofer).

[This message has been edited by AW (edited April 30, 2000).]
Old 05-01-00, 05:17 AM

Great explanation! Thanks AW!