Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

In 100 years, will films like "Jaws" and "The Godfather" be as relevant?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Films like Jaws and The Godfather are hailed by "our generation" because it came out during our lifetime.

By "our generation," I mean people born prior to 1980.

I work in an environment where I'm about 15 years older than those around me, and they don't really care about those two films - or films from that time. They're either "too boring," or "not scary."

We were scared by Jaws because nothing up to that time really made that kind of impression on us. But kids born after 1980 or so are raised on high-tech gadgetry (or some such), and are less than impressed with what is the past.

Once we die off, will our beloved films die off with us?
Old 04-02-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: In 100 years, will films like "Jaws" and "The Godfather" be as relevant?

I was born after 1980 so the answer is no.

I still find silent films to be relevant.
Old 04-02-09, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Jaws will live on..cuz well...the fear of the shark in Jaws now became world renowned fear of any sharks. People may not know that but...it sure as hell made an impact on the world's perception of sharks. I also think that The Godfather films will live on cuz..well it's The Godfather. When people think of the Mafia people think of Godfather-like types of mafia. BUT when put it down to what your asking: people who love movies will always see these things. I mean look at me. I'm 22, and I loved these films before I ever became a film major. And I saw these things as a kid.
Old 04-02-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

But from what I see, even music is something that is remaining in the past with today's kids. What they listen to doesn't even qualify as music - it's just rap-rap-rap, no melodies, no instruments, no nothing. (I sound like an old man ranting.) I don't know how kids can get along without listening to music.......

But I do appreciate how recent comedies like to include moldy-oldies - particularily in Adam Sandler films and films made by the Farrelley Brothers. They're trying to keep the old one-hit wonders alive N kicking.
Old 04-02-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Just a great piece of art (Michaelangelo), music (Beethoven) or literature (Shakespeare) I think a great film can stand the test of time.
Old 04-02-09, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker

But from what I see, even music is something that is remaining in the past with today's kids. What they listen to doesn't even qualify as music - it's just rap-rap-rap, no melodies, no instruments, no nothing. (I sound like an old man ranting.) I don't know how kids can get along without listening to music.......

But I do appreciate how recent comedies like to include moldy-oldies - particularily in Adam Sandler films and films made by the Farrelley Brothers. They're trying to keep the old one-hit wonders alive N kicking.
that makes no sense...are you talking about like actual tunes on the soundtrack or the original score of the films themselves?
Old 04-02-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when did kids become the barometer of whats good and bad in the art world?
Old 04-02-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
But you are only part of the 1% that still do. I think in 100 years, there will be a small part of the population that finds The Godfather and Jaws relevant but it will only be that 1%. So the answer is yes, to the majority of the population The Godfather and Jaws will eventually become irrelevant.
Old 04-02-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I have to agree. I was born in 1985, and some of my favorite films were born out of the comedic genius that was Harold Lloyd.

Add in the fact that what may, potentially, be my favorite film of all time is Harvey, and the theory that films will lose their "relevance" over time is unjustified.

A good film will remain a good film, be it in five, ten, or one hundred years. And, lest we forget, but relevance and quality are subjective. So what I find to be lasting would, to others, be horrendous.

Last edited by invisiblegt; 04-02-09 at 12:41 PM. Reason: I inadvertently added a page break after "films" and "to" in the quoted portion from [b]PopcornTreeCt[/b].
Old 04-02-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mankind should be so lucky to still exist in 100 years.
Old 04-02-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

A good story is a good story with most films it should start there. so yes I feel they will be.
Old 04-02-09, 12:56 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

My 16-year-old watched The Godfather for the first time a month or so ago, and he was enthralled. A good story is a good story.
Old 04-02-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You're so out of touch it's almost sweet.
Old 04-02-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
that makes no sense...are you talking about like actual tunes on the soundtrack or the original score of the films themselves?
I'm talking 'actual tunes.' For example, Kingpin with Woody Harrelson opened up with Cat Stevens doing "Oh Very Young".
Old 04-02-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
You're so out of touch it's almost sweet.

Am I? I stand in front of my house, and I can hear from across the street what the kids walking by are listening to...........and it ain't Cat Stevens. It's just monotony mixed with hatred. I mourn for the future of our society.

That is why I play music from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, etc around the house for my six-year old son to learn and enjoy. He sometimes belts out Smells Like Teen Spirit, and it fills my heart with a great satisfaction!

As far as films go - I stand behind what I said earlier: kids ain't interested, and you're wrong to think that they're not what we measure "the barometer" by, because they're going to run our cities in 20 years or less, and they're what's happening. Like it or not.
Old 04-02-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Am I? I stand in front of my house, and I can hear from across the street what the kids walking by are listening to...........and it ain't Cat Stevens. It's just monotony mixed with hatred. I mourn for the future of our society.

That is why I play music from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, etc around the house for my six-year old son to learn and enjoy. He sometimes belts out Smells Like Teen Spirit, and it fills my heart with a great satisfaction!

As far as films go - I stand behind what I said earlier: kids ain't interested, and you're wrong to think that they're not what we measure "the barometer" by, because they're going to run our cities in 20 years or less, and they're what's happening. Like it or not.
Smells Like Teen Spirit? Really? I had always believed subjecting a child to anything Nirvana was akin to a form of abuse, but apparently, the times they are a' changing.
Old 04-02-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goat3001
But you are only part of the 1% that still do. I think in 100 years, there will be a small part of the population that finds The Godfather and Jaws relevant but it will only be that 1%. So the answer is yes, to the majority of the population The Godfather and Jaws will eventually become irrelevant.
Not true at all. Nosferatu is a classic, it's still iconic and is close to a hundred years old.

As long as these films are being discussed critically, they can never be irrelevant. Until the end of time filmmakers will citing these films as influences, that's all they need for relevance.

The majority of the population stops talking and caring about a film a year after it comes out, but that doesn't suddenly make them irrelevant.
Old 04-02-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really are out of touch. Truly. Every generation people say the same exact things. Society is doomed, culture is dead, we were part of the last good ones. Blah Blah Blah.

And every generation there are those that prove you jaded ones wrong. Beautiful art is created every day, not all of it becomes popular, but sometimes it does, and just that small amount that makes it through is worth it.

And those kids won't be running the cities. It'll be the intelligent ones that achieved great things and worked hard. And it'll be because of the parents that encouraged them to do it, the ones that still had hope and saw wonderful things for the future.
Old 04-02-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Yeah, and when I was six, every Sunday my father tuned to the polka program. I told him that I liked it. But it didn't take. When I turned 13, I started listening to popular music, just like every other thirteen year old in my school.
Old 04-02-09, 04:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i think i will bump this thread in 100 years, with no new information of course, and see if IT is still relevant.
Old 04-02-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drop
You really are out of touch. Truly. Every generation people say the same exact things. Society is doomed, culture is dead, we were part of the last good ones. Blah Blah Blah.
You think?

"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." - Assyrian Tablet ~700 BC
Old 04-02-09, 05:06 PM

If we're being honest, I don't see the films staying "directly" relevant. I do, however, think that they will still be seen by those very interested in the field and will continue to influence a great deal of entertainment.

For example, I have not seen any of the work of Harold Lloyd, but the cartoon Futurama makes several references -- and surely owes a few jokes -- to him. I'd venture that a good portion of respectable workers in comedy have studied and are influenced by his work, so there's an underlying tie, even if the viewing of the original shorts is limited.

I just can't see a "regular" person in 2110 watching a movie that's 130 years old, though. You can cut that span in half and it'll still be true -- I'm 21 and only know a handful of peers who have seen Citizen Kane and Casablanca from 1941 and 1942 (even some who consider themselves "movie experts"). And those are two easy go-to answers for best film of all time, neither particularly long or hard to find.
Old 04-02-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

The majority of the population stops talking and caring about a film a year after it comes out, but that doesn't suddenly make them irrelevant.
This sums up perfectly how I would respond to the OP.
Old 04-02-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Not true at all. Nosferatu is a classic, it's still iconic and is close to a hundred years old.

Nosferatu is 87. When you're 87 I doubt you'll like being called "close to 100."
Old 04-02-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
My 16-year-old watched The Godfather for the first time a month or so ago, and he was enthralled. A good story is a good story.
He should check out the book next.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.