Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

HD Trailer | IMDB | 24 July 09

The tragic loss of their unborn child has devastated Kate and John, taking a toll on both their marriage and Kate’s fragile psyche as she is plagued by nightmares and haunted by demons from her past. Struggling to regain some semblance of normalcy in their lives, the couple decides to adopt another child. At the local orphanage, both John and Kate find themselves strangely drawn to a young girl named Esther. Almost as soon as they welcome Esther into their home, however, an alarming series of events begins to unfold, leading Kate to believe that there’s something wrong with Esther-this seemingly angelic little girl is not what she appears to be. Concerned for the safety of her family, Kate tries to get John and others to see past Esther’s sweet facade. But her warnings go unheeded until it may be too late…for everyone.

<hr>

As adoption-horror movies go, this one seems to be pretty good.
Old 06-11-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

looks like a rip-off of Problem Child
Old 06-11-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Well that was a fast remake of The Good Son.
Old 06-11-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This looks like a mounted turd. That trailer was positively horrid and laughable at the same time.
Old 06-11-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
This looks like a mounted turd. That trailer was positively horrid and laughable at the same time.
It kind of reminded me of that Simpsons episode with The Re-Deadening.
Old 06-11-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't I just see this?

Oh, yeah. That was Joshua.
Old 06-12-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Yeah, which sucked balls too. Vera Farmiga needs a new agent ASAP.
Old 06-12-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
looks like a rip-off of Problem Child
Or Clifford, for that matter.

Saw the trailer for this before Drag Me to Hell and The Hangover, and yes, it looks awful. Peter Sarsgaard goes from Garden State, Jarhead and Kinsey to this? Ugh. And I thought Vera Farmiga would start getting higher-profile roles after The Departed, apparently not. It also doesn't help that the girl looks like the girl from the Pepsi commercials from the late 90's and early on this decade.
Old 06-12-09, 01:30 PM

That's a pretty creepy poster though. I'll give it a shot and keep my expectations in check.
Old 06-12-09, 01:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The trailer looks completely awful.
Old 06-12-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus

HD Trailer | IMDB | 24 July 09

The tragic loss of their unborn child has devastated Kate and John, taking a toll on both their marriage and Kate’s fragile psyche as she is plagued by nightmares and haunted by demons from her past. Struggling to regain some semblance of normalcy in their lives, the couple decides to adopt another child. At the local orphanage, both John and Kate find themselves strangely drawn to a young girl named Esther. Almost as soon as they welcome Esther into their home, however, an alarming series of events begins to unfold, leading Kate to believe that there’s something wrong with Esther-this seemingly angelic little girl is not what she appears to be. Concerned for the safety of her family, Kate tries to get John and others to see past Esther’s sweet facade. But her warnings go unheeded until it may be too late…for everyone.

<hr>

As adoption-horror movies go, this one seems to be pretty good.
Interesting that the parents are named John and Kate.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see a horror film based on that reality show. Or can anyone who's actually seen it tell me whether it already is a horror show?
Old 06-12-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If a woman being a total bitch to her whipped husband is horror, sure why not. It's like Ed Helms and Rachel Harris in The Hangover.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Sm2XjESino&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Sm2XjESino&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 06-30-09, 03:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So I have seen the trailer for this both times I've seen The Hangover. I'll never see it but the trailer says
Spoiler:
you'll never guess her secret
so now I want to know. Someone just post it so I can move on.
Old 06-30-09, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trelach24
So I have seen the trailer for this both times I've seen The Hangover. I'll never see it but the trailer says
Spoiler:
you'll never guess her secret
so now I want to know. Someone just post it so I can move on.
Here you go. I have the screenplay.
Spoiler:
Esther is actually a 32-year-old woman with proportional dwarfism, who was abused as a child and ended up with a sick psychosexual complex. She worked as a prostitute to take advantage of rich pedophiles, but upon being arrested, she kept up the charade so that she was sent to an orphanage. She was adopted and when her new "father" spurned her sexual advances, she burned the family alive in their house. So the movie's events have her being adopted by a new family after she escapes from a mental hospital, and she proceeds to kill off any competition she has for her new "father"'s affections. After once again getting the brush-off, she kills him (she's already killed her "brother") and tries to kill her "sister", but her "mother" manages to save her daughter and shoots Esther.

♫ That's the story of, that's the glory of love... ♫

So now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.
Old 06-30-09, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Spoiler:
Esther is actually a 32-year-old woman with proportional dwarfism, who was abused as a child and ended up with a sick psychosexual complex. She worked as a prostitute to take advantage of rich pedophiles, but upon being arrested, she kept up the charade so that she was sent to an orphanage. She was adopted and when her new "father" spurned her sexual advances, she burned the family alive in their house. So the movie's events have her being adopted by a new family after she escapes from a mental hospital, and she proceeds to kill off any competition she has for her new "father"'s affections. After once again getting the brush-off, she kills him (she's already killed her "brother") and tries to kill her "sister", but her "mother" manages to save her daughter and shoots Esther.

So now you know.
Old 06-30-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seriously? That's goofy as hell. Who writes this crap?
Old 06-30-09, 08:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ apparently no one who has an ounce of originality.
Old 06-30-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That synopsis is hilarious - how the fuck did this movie get made?
Old 06-30-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
^ apparently no one who has an ounce of originality.
Oh come now, it's certainly original! What else did you see THAT in?
Note, original does not necessarily mean good...
Old 06-30-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Spoiler:

So now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.
x 52,478
Old 07-02-09, 02:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

LMAO. So worth it. Thanks.
Old 07-02-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Apparently early ads had adoption groups up in arms. They had a slogan like "You can never love an adopted child as much as your own" They pulled the ads after the complaints.
Old 07-02-09, 11:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They should have replaced it with "You'll never hate a movie as much as this one."
Old 07-22-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts
Orphan

from imdb.com
The tragic loss of their unborn child has devastated Kate and John, taking a toll on both their marriage and Kate's fragile psyche as she is plagued by nightmares and haunted by demons from her past. Struggling to regain some semblance of normalcy in their lives, the couple decides to adopt another child. At the local orphanage, both John and Kate find themselves strangely drawn to a young girl named Esther. Almost as soon as they welcome Esther into their home, however, an alarming series of events begins to unfold, leading Kate to believe that there's something wrong with Esther--this seemingly angelic little girl is not what she appears to be. Concerned for the safety of her family, Kate tries to get John and others to see past Esther's sweet facade. But her warnings go unheeded until it may be too late-for everyone.
I was able to see a free screening last night, it didn't seem like typical summer fare. It was much better than I thought it would be, pretty freaky flick with a lot of WTF moments, but I don't want to give anything away about it. Anyone else planning to see it this weekend. Its been causing quite a bit of controversy giving a negative image of the adoption community.

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/07/21...ive-parents%2F

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 07-22-09 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-22-09, 06:48 PM

Re: Orphan

I really want to see this, but I was thinking it would be bad. Good to know you thought it was good, I will definitely have to check it out!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.