Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What arcade (XBLA, PSN, VC) games do you feel you got 'burned' on?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-01-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I know everyone has at least one regret and everyone almost everyone here assigns an arbitrary price to justify it's value. So

What 'virtual' games do you feel you personally got burned on?

For me:

XBLA
Lumines - I love puzzle games, so I tried the demo but bought in from the hype. Bad decision. I never got the hang of this one hate that I bought it.

N+ - This is the opposite. I loved the demo, but as it turns out it's pretty repetitive and that's all the experience I needed.

PSN
Noby Noby Boy - I figured for $5 I'd give it a go. I don't mind checking out 'different' games (Flower, Flow) for that price. $5 down the tube.

High Velocity Bowling - Again, for $5, why not? Then again I already own WiiSports and have my bowling needs met.

Virtual Console
Axelay - sounded cool but couldn't get into it

Spleunker - I recall enjoying this way back when. Nostalgia got the best of me because this game sucks.
Old 04-01-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What arcade (XBLA, PSN, VC) games do you feel you got 'burned' on?

Well I guess I only have one.

WiiWare:
My Aquarium - Bought BY ACCIDENT viewing the game's details on the shop.
Old 04-01-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't remember everything I bought on the Virtual Console, but I don't recall getting anything other than what I expected. I haven't bought anything on PSN.

XBLA
Puzzle Quest Expansion - At 700 points, I expected more than 4 hours of content

Battlestar Galactica - I'm only listing this as an honorable mention. I got it half-off last year and was lucky for the slight resurgence in online play with it. It wasn't a terrible game, but it wasn't anything special. Still proud/ashamed that I have 200/200 in it.

Wing Commander Arena - While I didn't buy this, I still feel burned by it. This is one of the 4 games I used as justification to buy the 360 (along with Pac-Man: CE, Castle Crashers, and Blue Dragon). The reviews and demo were so disappointing that I couldn't even give the Wing Commander name love with a purchase. I fear it was the end of the franchise.
Old 04-01-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I DO have one more.

PSN:
Super Stardust HD Multi Pack - Utterly useless.
Old 04-01-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy with my PSN purchases, but I'm VERY selective. My only regret is not buying Pixeljunk Monsters last summer for $5. Actually, there may be a few Rock Band tracks too, but I don't know if they count.

For Virtual Console, Shining Force and Shining Force 2. Great games, but they're both on the Genesis collection, which I'll eventually get...so essentially wasted money.
Old 04-01-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

High Velocity Bowling? A rip off at $5? Seriously? Well, I enjoyed it and found it worth $10 easily; but I don't own a Wii.

for me:
XBLA :
Castlevania SON - I read the great reviews and had heard over the years of how great the game was on the PS1. It may well be a great game, but it bored me to tears. I think I only ever played it once.

Super Puzzle Fighter HD - Another game I'd heard about for years. So much hype regarding that one. I STILL don't really understand how to play it. Puzzle games should not be that confusing. Or that blurry.

Golf: Tee It Up! : I love Hot Shots Golf. I should have just put that disc into the PS3 rather than purchasing this poor man's copy after trying the demo and convincing myself this was different enough.

PSN
flOw : I still don't get this "game" at all. Boring beyond comprehension. Even at $5, it seems like a rip off.

Everyday Shooter : Not terrible, but nothing special. Another $5 sale purchase that I could have lived without in retrospect.
Old 04-01-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wii:

Kid Icarus and Elevator Action. Nostalgia gets me again! To be fair, I pretty much knew what I was getting on Elevator Action, but I didn't expect the fun to wear off so soon. Kid Icarus, however, is a terribly frustrating game, and can't imagine how I ever played it as a kid.

PSN:

Noby Noby Boy as well. I'm a huge fan of the Katamari games, and don't really feel "burned" for spending $5, but (and I stated this in its thread) I feel like it's something they were trying to develop into a game, never finished it, and just said "Here's what we were working on."

XBLA:

Whatever the Hell game it is where you bounce the balls around trying to break down walls on the other players' fortresses. It's a remake of an old game. Demo was fun, and then the fun wore off at a lightning pace.
Old 04-01-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if I can say "burned", but I've bought a lot of games that I've only played for a couple of hours.
HVB is one of thems. I need to play more, I really like all the options and settings in the game.
Pain!. I've actually played it more than 8 hours, but I've also bought characters and expansion packs that I haven't played enough, like less than 1 hour...

In XBLA is the same. Lumines!, Pac-Man, etc. I need to play them more to make a decision.
Old 04-01-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PSN:
Flow - Beat it, but didn't enjoy it.
Old 04-01-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Super Puzzle Fighter HD - Another game I'd heard about for years. So much hype regarding that one. I STILL don't really understand how to play it. Puzzle games should not be that confusing. Or that blurry.
I think this is pretty easy to play... not sure why it's confusing to you. Make bigger colored blocks by piecing them together, break them with the orb to send blocks to the other side.

For me, the only game that I bought that I never really touched on XBLA was Gauntlet. I think I just bought it randomly trying to find any 4 player game and we played it for about 5 minutes before moving on.
Old 04-01-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

XBLA - Omega Five - I really like the look and game style, but found it way too hard and a bit annoying for the most part. Honestly, I don't know why I bought it in the first place. I think I had extra points and just wasted them.

Virtual Console - Mario Bros. - I thought I was buying Super Mario Bros. I'm a tard.

PSN - I have Flower, Pixel Junk Monsters, Everday Shooter, and Noby Noby boy.....and I don't regret a single goddamn one of them!!
Old 04-01-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think this is pretty easy to play... not sure why it's confusing to you. Make bigger colored blocks by piecing them together, break them with the orb to send blocks to the other side.
God, it's been so long since I played it. Maybe I didn't get the "break the big gems apart with the orbs" part or couldn't figure out when to send them to the other side. All I remember is that I didn't "get" it at all when I bought it. I may have to try it again sometime.

I should probably add Boogie Bunnies to this list, but I knew it sucked when I got it. It's just that my 2 year old boy loves to watch me play it and I was so tired of replaying the demo that I figured it was worth 500 points (on sale) to see some new levels -- that also suck.

I have this funny feeling I'll be adding Alien Hominid to this list by week's end. I know that game is crazy tough to me, but the great reviews and cheap sale price keep tempting me. I need professional help.
Old 04-01-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alien Hominid isn't that hard. Just back it down to easy and you'll get a ton of lives and continues.
Old 04-01-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not really burned because they are bad but burned because I absolutely suck at them.

Bionic Commando
Mega Man 9
Old 04-01-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Castlevania SON - I read the great reviews and had heard over the years of how great the game was on the PS1. It may well be a great game, but it bored me to tears. I think I only ever played it once.
Old 04-01-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The only one I regret is the Ticket to Ride European expansion. I think the changes make the game worse.
Old 04-01-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ms. Pac-Man
Piyotama
Golden Axe
(the Genesis version, not the arcade version)
Old 04-01-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Galaga Legions

Bought it because I love old school Galaga and new school Pac-Man C.E., and thought it would be somewhat of a merger of the two. Wasn't horrible, but I'm horrible at it and haven't played it in months. Will get back to it someday.
Old 04-01-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MWB
Galaga Legions

Bought it because I love old school Galaga and new school Pac-Man C.E., and thought it would be somewhat of a merger of the two. Wasn't horrible, but I'm horrible at it and haven't played it in months. Will get back to it someday.
Damnit forgot about that include that in to mine for the same reasons
Old 04-01-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
The only one I regret is the Ticket to Ride European expansion. I think the changes make the game worse.
qft
Old 04-01-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

XBLA- Gauntlet. I don't remember it sucking so bad back in the 80's.
Old 04-01-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

XBLA - SWoS.

Read a ton of reviews, I generally like old school sports games, but all this game does is piss me off. For whatever reason, I'm simply incapable of playing well, and so the computer continually reams my ass no matter what team I pick for myself or them (actually think I broke a controller because of this game).
Old 04-01-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

XBLA - Braid. I read the hype on that one and still don't have a clue what all the excitement was about. It just wasn't for me at all.

Also, a couple of weeks ago I downloaded the NCAA game over XBL after watching the games all day and drinking too much. I regret that.
Old 04-01-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

On the PSN and 360 I have found pretty much everything to be worth the money. 360 is the easy one to decide on because every game has a demo.

On PSN my only disappointment was probably Calling All Cars. I think I only paid $5 for it so it wasn't a huge let down, but I probably only played it twice before losing interest.

On Wii I had a huge letdown with FZero on N64. A game I loved on N64 that did age well at all.

Outside of those two I'm pretty happy with most everything I have bought and actually I am enjoying the DLC more than most of the disc games.
Old 04-01-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PSN

Calling All Cars
PAIN
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Elefunk

Last edited by Arthur Dent; 04-01-09 at 07:09 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.