Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Damages -- "Trust Me" -- 90 Minute Season Finale -- 4/1/09

Damages 1

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

In the second-season finale, Patty pulls out all the stops to win the UNR case while Ellen's quest for revenge concludes.

Damn, can't believe it's already over. Now the question lies with FX whether they stick with their original agreement with the Producers of this show and produce a season 3 even though the ratings for this season have been abysmal.
Old 04-01-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Damages -- "Trust Me" -- 90 Minute Season Finale -- 4/1/09

I hope they'll honour their agreement... hell, the buzz on this show has been great but people haven't been able to jump in... with a marketing push for the dvds plus word of mouth, I'm sure Season 3 could do much better... Can't wait for tonight!
Old 04-01-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't honestly see how they're going to tie all this stuff up - but I have very little doubt that they'll certainly pull it off. Can't wait. Hope there is no April Fool's coming...
Old 04-01-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

That was a quality dream sequence.

Of course that's how it was going to end, she's always on top of these things. Kind of funny they pushed Frobisher off.

I didn't really buy
Spoiler:
Ellen changing from hellbent on sending Patty to hell in a hand basket to just her admitting it
but it was a mostly satisfying season, and if worst comes to worst, series finale.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-01-09 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-01-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF was that? It was like a Scooby Doo ending or something.
Old 04-01-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

I didn't really buy
Spoiler:
Ellen changing from hellbent on sending Patty to hell in a hand basket to just her admitting it
Maybe because Ellen just got laid prior to her face-to-face with Patty

That was an intense and very tidy ending! (but that Frobisher scene was such a throwaway... and so was brushing off the bearded Frobisher goon GO WES!)
Patty and all her killer instincts. Glenn Close and Rose Byrne

The entire hour did give off a series finale vibe -- not much of a setup for Season 3 but did leave the door open.

Season 2: A-
Was David's present to Ellen ever revealed???
will watch the repeat airings....
Old 04-01-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I must have missed the Frobisher scene - what happened?
Old 04-01-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I must have missed the Frobisher scene - what happened?
Nothing. At all. They build up this scene where they suggest they may finally have a way to get to Frobisher, then cut to Frobisher ... as he's celebrating how great his new life is.

It was amusing, and in the end, he gets brushed off to be dealt with in season 3.

The ending was entirely TOO tidy for my liking, but I did enjoy it overall.
Old 04-02-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The part that made me laugh at loud was when Ellen was arrested by the FBI guy and then the US Marshals swooped in and were like "No, you are under arrest." That was just entirely too tidy and silly.

Something else that didn't make sense in the flashback: the FBI guy heard the shot and ran into the hotel. Meanwhile, this super-long scene plays out with Ellen and Patty and it was probably at least 10 minutes later that he found Patty in the elevator. Was the guy in the van on the other side of town?
Old 04-02-09, 12:07 AM

I thought the episode was great, but two things bothered me: How is it that Tom came to Ellen's rescue after she stabbed him in the back? And I definitely don't understand how Patty sat and spoke with Ellen when she'd just been stabbed and had an oozing, painful flesh wound.

I have no idea why Patty thinks that Ellen will be back.

Last edited by mraw; 04-02-09 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Awesome finally! Best show on TV in years. I will comment more on it later but did anyone else bust out laughing at the overdub of Fin Garrity telling Patty "Or how bout I just kick you in the head?" So hilarious.
Old 04-02-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My big question is at what point Dave infiltrated the FBI investigation. Since that occurred long, long before the UNR case. AKA - Who initiated the actual investigation?
Old 04-02-09, 11:09 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
WTF was that? It was like a Scooby Doo ending or something.
+1

I did like how the corrupt Detective finally got what was coming to him. Will Ellen ever find out from that Wes not only saved her life, but executed the man who killed David. I guess she can't without finding out that Wes was originally working with the corrupt detective.

Thos.

Last edited by Thos19; 04-02-09 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-02-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mraw
I thought the episode was great, but two things bothered me:
Spoiler:
How is it that Tom came to Ellen's rescue after she stabbed him in the back?

and:
Spoiler:
I definitely don't understand how Patty sat and spoke with Ellen when she'd just been stabbed and had an oozing, painful flesh wound.

I have no idea why Patty thinks that Ellen will be back.
I don't think we need spoiler tags anymore so I'm just gonna type it normally.

re: your first spoiler: Tom first came to Ellen's rescue by giving her a gun. She got him to do that by promising to make the FBI investigation on him "delivering" the funds to the undercover agent go away. Also, he helped her in the end because Patty reached out to him once she found out what was going on. He contacted his sister at the US Attorney's Office which helped put things in motion.

re: second spoiler: I'm with you on that one!

I also noticed the time disparity of the guy running to the elevator to find Patty, but here we see Patty and Ellen chatting it up for a few minutes after Ellen's gunshots.
Old 04-02-09, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by TruGator
I don't think we need spoiler tags anymore so I'm just gonna type it normally.

re: your first spoiler: Tom first came to Ellen's rescue by giving her a gun. She got him to do that by promising to make the FBI investigation on him "delivering" the funds to the undercover agent go away. Also, he helped her in the end because Patty reached out to him once she found out what was going on. He contacted his sister at the US Attorney's Office which helped put things in motion.

re: second spoiler: I'm with you on that one!

I also noticed the time disparity of the guy running to the elevator to find Patty, but here we see Patty and Ellen chatting it up for a few minutes after Ellen's gunshots.
The part in bold is what I must have missed. I'm going to watch again for that later.
Old 04-03-09, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mraw
The part in bold is what I must have missed. I'm going to watch again for that later.
I don't think they showed that part.
Old 04-03-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Yeah - I had the same thought about that Frobisher scene. I was waiting for something more about him and nothing, so my reaction was what was the point of that?

I agree that it all turned out too tidy. How Tom got his sister/US Marshalls involved and how they could so quickly supercede the FBI case. I'm also not sure why he so easily believed Patty could make his problems go away without any explanation. Wouldn't it have just been easier for her to tell him what Patty had done to her fiance?

Also, how on earth did the Marshalls get that recording of Patty and Dave's meeting?

I have no idea how they can pick things up in S3.
Old 04-03-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Also, how on earth did the Marshalls get that recording of Patty and Dave's meeting?
Tom told Ellen that Patty figured things out, so I'm assuming she figured it out before her meeting with Dave. I'm guessing she then brought a tape recorder to their meeting as evidence to take to the US Attorney's Office.
Old 04-03-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TruGator
Tom told Ellen that Patty figured things out, so I'm assuming she figured it out before her meeting with Dave. I'm guessing she then brought a tape recorder to their meeting as evidence to take to the US Attorney's Office.
I don't follow.

You mean that Patty figured out that Ellen figured out that Patty had her fiance whacked? That wouldn't explain why she recorded her meeting with Dave? Also, why on earth would she agree to be anywhere alone with Ellen?
Old 04-03-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't follow.

You mean that Patty figured out that Ellen figured out that Patty had her fiance whacked? That wouldn't explain why she recorded her meeting with Dave? Also, why on earth would she agree to be anywhere alone with Ellen?
Except Patty didn't have the fiance whacked, Frobisher did. The throw away scene with Frobisher struck me as a setup for next season (the harder he'll fall... again). A good way to keep Ted Danson on as a starring cast member for the 3rd/final season (those ratings suck.. if we even get that season).

Patty is a high profile lawyer, she presumably has a recording device on her at all times. Patty knew very well who Dave was by that point in time (he is afterall part of the reason Patty is divorcing her husband), why wouldn't she record their convo? Either him incriminating himself and admitting his role in manipulating the energy market or giving her another way of bringing him down. I'm assuming it was after this encounter that Patty got in touch with Tom.

In the end, Patty knew she was being setup by Ellen "for the FBI" but didn't know Ellen knew about the hit Patty put out on her. Patty needed Ellen to deliver the money to the judge to allow the sting to go through. Patty and Ellen had a trust going on, and Patty wanted to make Ellen assume that trust was still there. Additionally, Patty had been feeling extremely guilty over the murder attempt from the get go and is how Ellen got to be in her inner circle so quickly.

Which brings me back to the one part I had trouble buying into - Ellen is hellbent on seeing Patty go down all season, and in the end, all Patty did was admit it and that was enough? Right. I could see Ellen softening up to Patty toward the end of the season but it just didn't feel right.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-03-09 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Sorry - I misspoke. I meant that Patty knowing Ellen knowing Patty tried to have her killed.

So I still don't get it. So Patty uses her money to bribe a judge, getting Ellen to do it instead, which we're led to believe is setting Ellen up, yet somehow it doesn't. How does that implicate Dave? The recording alone would presumably do that. Why was it necessary for Patty to have Ellen go through with the bribe?
Old 04-03-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry - I misspoke. I meant that Patty knowing Ellen knowing Patty tried to have her killed.

So I still don't get it. So Patty uses her money to bribe a judge, getting Ellen to do it instead, which we're led to believe is setting Ellen up, yet somehow it doesn't. How does that implicate Dave? The recording alone would presumably do that. Why was it necessary for Patty to have Ellen go through with the bribe?
It shows without a doubt that Dave breached the FBI (and in return that the FBI was being influenced by an outside source). Saying it is one thing, hell I could say that, proving you can do it is another thing all together. And it's because of this that Tom's sister could step in and take over.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-03-09 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-04-09, 01:05 PM

When Patty and Ellen were talking about going through with bribing the judge, Patty said that after tomorrow it'll all be over. Ellen then said it'll be over for the both of us and got up and left. They showed a shot of Patty's face that seemed to me that she realized that Ellen was working with the FBI (or that she tried to kill her). I could be wrong though.
Old 04-04-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought that was a dead giveaway as well.
Old 04-04-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

if we don't get another season i'll be happy with the 2 we got

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.