Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name that movie? Kidnapped kids? Island? Toys?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to remember a film from when I was a kid (I'm 34), but I only have shadows of memories of it, and it's driving me nuts. Can anyone help?

The movie was about kids getting kidnapped and held prisoner on, I think, an island. I also remember something to do with toys. Either the kids were forced to make toys or they used toys to find the kids and kidnap them. A group of 3 kids want to rescue all of the kids so one of them gets himself kidnapped on purpose wearing a homing device. When they are searching for him, his captives find the homing device leaving his 2 friends to rescue him without it. I can picture scenes from the movie, but I can't string together enough facts to get a good search going. Does any of this ring a bell? The closest thing I can find is a movie called The Peanut Butter Solution which had a similar plot, but I'm 100% sure I am not confusing one with the other.

Any ideas?
Old 03-30-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Name that movie? Kidnapped kids? Island? Toys?

Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang (1978)?
Old 03-30-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luther Heggs. Impressive as always. Very cool link.
Old 03-30-09, 10:41 PM

Wow. That's totally it! Thank you.
Old 03-30-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The movie jedi strikes again!
Old 03-30-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, the entire movie can be seen on YouTube:

Old 04-01-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Luther Heggs. The childhood memory of this strange movie had been lurking in the back of my head for a while too.
Old 04-01-09, 02:52 PM

My grandmother made me a tape of Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang, The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T & The Phantom Tollbooth back in the day. I wore that goddamned thing out. Great stuff.
Old 04-01-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Wow, that mention of The Peanut Butter Solution brought back some long buried memories. It's the kind of movie that if you were to describe it to someone who'd never seen it, they'd think it's something you dreamt up while high.

And golden_rod just gave me major flashbacks mentioning The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T and The Phantom Tollbooth. I loved those two movies. However, Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang doesn't seem to be bringing up any dusty memories.

While on the subject of bizarre kid's movies, does anyone remember this bizarre flick where some kids find a glowing geode (I think that's how you spell that - a rock with crystal formations inside when you crack it open) that landed as a meteorite. The energy from the crystal/rock makes the kids toys come to life. In particular this puppet who is all creepy and evil. I don't remember the rest except that their house becomes rather nightmarish due to the evil puppet. Anyone know the movie I'm talking about?
Old 04-01-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wow, that mention of [B]While on the subject of bizarre kid's movies, does anyone remember this bizarre flick where some kids find a glowing geode (I think that's how you spell that - a rock with crystal formations inside when you crack it open) that landed as a meteorite. The energy from the crystal/rock makes the kids toys come to life. In particular this puppet who is all creepy and evil. I don't remember the rest except that their house becomes rather nightmarish due to the evil puppet. Anyone know the movie I'm talking about?
Sounds like a mix between:

Making Contact (1985)

and

The Gate (1987)
Old 04-01-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Thanks, JackBurton. I looked up some info on Making Contact (a.k.a. Joey) and it is indeed the movie I was trying to remember.

Originally Posted by Stefan
The story is about a 9-year-old boy named Joey , living in a small town somewhere in Virginia, who refuses to accept the death of his dad. Joey develops telekinetic abilities: He can move around things with his mind and revive toys. Those abilities open the door to another dimension, and the world around Joey is changing. His red toy phone rings, at the other end of the line, his dead father speaks to him.

Of course, nobody believes Joey when he tries to tell others, instead, he is teased by his classmates and becomes an outsider. As if this isn't enough already, Joey also finds an evil ventriloquist's puppet in the cellar of a deserted neighbour's house, who, just like Joey , has paranormal abilities, which it uses to make life a hell for Joey . This puppet named Fletcher abducts Joey's school friends into a mysterious ghost world, where it comes to the decisive battle of good vs. evil...
Source: http://www.centropoholics.com/films/Joey/index.html