Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Anything interesting near Buchholz Germany?

namrfumot
03-30-09, 08:27 PM
I'm gonna be visiting some relatives in Buchholz Germany this summer (zip code D-21244).

Is there anything WWII related in that area? Battlefields, museums, etc? Anything else I wmight wanna visit? Driving far won't be possible.

Thanks, Tom

crazyronin
03-30-09, 08:40 PM
http://www.annaberg-buchholz.de/pitcms/.annaberg-buchholz/hauptordner5/e1_o3/nav_f.htm

The soviets mined Uranium from there after WW2.

AGuyNamedMike
03-30-09, 08:59 PM
You could drive over to Bad Schandau, about an hour or so away. I spent a nice week's vacation there and enjoyed the climbing, hiking, and castles, etc.

The Bus
03-30-09, 09:30 PM
You're in Germany. You can get anywhere you want using mass transit.

DVD Polizei
03-30-09, 09:31 PM
^^Shhhh. Don't tell him just yet.

tofferman
03-31-09, 12:09 AM
You're not far from the Reeperbahn in Hamburg.

namrfumot
03-31-09, 07:13 AM
You're in Germany. You can get anywhere you want using mass transit.

So going from Buchholz to Berlin and back can be done as a day trip?

The Bus
03-31-09, 10:29 AM
So going from Buchholz to Berlin and back can be done as a day trip?

Yes.

covenant
03-31-09, 10:41 AM
The German Maritime Museum is close at Bremerhaven. They have the last Uboat of WW2.
But Berlin would be mandatory to visit imo....

tofferman
03-31-09, 11:08 AM
I don't consider Berlin to be a day trip. Plan on two full days at minimum as there is so much to see (you won't be disappointed.) Also, considering the efficiency of Germany's trains, most places are reachable within a day. I would recommend you travel by train overnight. That way you have an entire day or two to explore.

If you are interested in WWII stuff (and have the time), Berlin is a must...as is Nuremburg.

grip
03-31-09, 05:01 PM
looks like there is Bergen-Belsen nearby. Concentration camp should be interesting (unless you are anti-zionist).

Buchenwald as well...

AGuyNamedMike
03-31-09, 05:05 PM
I don't consider Berlin to be a day trip. Plan on two full days at minimum as there is so much to see (you won't be disappointed.) Also, considering the efficiency of Germany's trains, most places are reachable within a day. I would recommend you travel by train overnight. That way you have an entire day or two to explore.

If you are interested in WWII stuff (and have the time), Berlin is a must...as is Nuremburg.

Concur. I lived in Berlin for almost seven years and still didn't see everything in the area I wanted to.

al_bundy
03-31-09, 08:11 PM
looks like there is Bergen-Belsen nearby. Concentration camp should be interesting (unless you are anti-zionist).

Buchenwald as well...

i was about to say. it's germany, there has to be the remains of a concentration camp or a battlefield somewhere close by

tofferman
03-31-09, 08:22 PM
i was about to say. it's germany, there has to be the remains of a concentration camp or a battlefield somewhere close by

The best preserved concentration camp (in Germany) to my knowledge is Dachau, not far from Munich. It's a sobering visit, but well worth it imho. I don't recall any battlefields that were known to be a tourist stop (as far as WWII goes...not counting the battle of Berlin.)

The Bus
03-31-09, 08:55 PM
I didn't suggest that Berlin could be seen in a day. However, the OP is apparently limited to daytrips. Having to choose between going to Berlin or not going, I would choose to go, even if it's for one day.

al_bundy
03-31-09, 09:22 PM
The best preserved concentration camp (in Germany) to my knowledge is Dachau, not far from Munich. It's a sobering visit, but well worth it imho. I don't recall any battlefields that were known to be a tourist stop (as far as WWII goes...not counting the battle of Berlin.)

maybe not a tourist stop, but i'd say except for the northern part of the country you would probably find a battlefield almost anywhere you are in germany

namrfumot
04-01-09, 07:26 PM
Is there an easy way to figure out how much the rail service will cost me?

AGuyNamedMike
04-01-09, 07:31 PM
How long will you be there?

http://www.eurail.com/

Look at a Germany/Czech Republic regional pass. You could see Prague.

The Bus
04-01-09, 07:34 PM
Is there an easy way to figure out how much the rail service will cost me?

JFGI: www.bahn.de

Jack Straw
04-03-09, 08:25 AM
i was about to say. it's germany, there has to be the remains of a concentration camp or a battlefield somewhere close by Post of the year! (for me)

Frenzy
04-03-09, 09:03 AM
You can visit me. :D

Or of course Hamburg which is only like 40 Km (~ 25 miles) from Buchholz.

Tsar Chasm
04-03-09, 09:17 PM
You're not far from the Reeperbahn in Hamburg.

I did illegal things in that neighborhood.