Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me pick out new T.V.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all,

I am looking at getting a new 50-52 inch set so I needed some advise.

T.V. will be in daylight basement, mostly be used by just me. I use it during days and nights.
It will be used for 360, Blu Ray, and watching Sports on Direct T.V.

I needed to go with Sears or Best Buy because of the 24-36 month no interest so I need a set they carry under $2000.00 with taxes.

Thanks to all who reply

Beau
Old 03-30-09, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Help me pick out new T.V.

Sony KDL-52W4100.

I have it and it rules.
Old 03-30-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts

50" Panasonic Plasma. On a real budget? Get the 720p version for under a grand. Or spring for the 1080p version for under $1,500. But if you are sitting oh....about 8 feet or more, IMO, your not going to see the difference in such a small set anyway (between 720p and 1080p) and that is regardless of source..
Old 03-31-09, 12:48 AM
Banned

Pioneer
Old 03-31-09, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh come on , you know just reading the topic made you chuckle a little.
Old 03-31-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
you're not going to see the difference in such a small set anyway (between 720p and 1080p) and that is regardless of source..
Bleh. At 50 inches and above, go with 1080p. It's well within the OP's budget.

Grab a Pioneer plasma while they're still around, if you can find a price you like. If not, Panasonic plasma would be my very close second choice.
Old 03-31-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here is where I would rank your choices....

50" 1080p Pioneer Plasma
50" 1080p Panasonic Plasma
50" 720p Panasonic Plasma

Even the best LCD

The rest of LCDs
Old 03-31-09, 03:32 PM

Oh Ok Thanks guys ha ha

Yes, I sit about 14-15 feet away from set in basement.

I am tied to Sears or Best Buy though for the 0% for 24-36 months.

Sears only carries the TC-P50S1 Panny in the 50in 1080. Is that a good set?

How about the LG 52LG50 or the Samsung PN50A650?

I had looked at those sets as well.

Beau
Old 03-31-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33490479.html
Old 03-31-09, 03:43 PM

Maybe look at the Panasonic 58" since you are sitting that far away.
Old 03-31-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea...the Pioneer would be sweet.

Yea, if you sitting that far, really consider the 58" plasma.

And if you are sitting that far and sticking to 50" then you could save a lot and get a 720p panny plasma. But I get bitch slapped every time I suggest it....so whatever...LOL...
Old 03-31-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And if you are sitting that far and sticking to 50" then you could save a lot and get a 720p panny plasma. But I get bitch slapped every time I suggest it....so whatever...LOL...
*SLAP!*

He may not always have the same setup. If he spends a little bit more and gets 1080p, he won't regret it if he decides to rearrange his furniture a year from now.
Old 03-31-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
*SLAP!*

He may not always have the same setup. If he spends a little bit more and gets 1080p, he won't regret it if he decides to rearrange his furniture a year from now.
Or...............

Spend as little as possible and still have a nice image with a 720p model for his current arrangement. Then in a couple of years if he moves furniture, he can move that TV to the bedroom, the bar, study and get the latest and greatest 65" model that has dropped in price. Since he had less then $900 invested in this TV, won't be a big deal to upgrade.
Old 04-01-09, 01:13 AM

Ha Ha You guys are crazy. Very nice .

I will always have this setup as long as I live in this house.
No other setup would look right in this room.

At the very least I could sit 10 feet from the set but no closer.
I have one of those home theater wrap around seating groups that cant go any closer.

No projecter because I have a drop ceiling. I dont care for them anyway.

Pioneer set is 2300 plus tax at Best Buy, a little out of price area.

Thanks, Beau
Old 04-01-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or...............

Spend as little as possible and still have a nice image with a 720p model for his current arrangement. Then in a couple of years if he moves furniture, he can move that TV to the bedroom, the bar, study and get the latest and greatest 65" model that has dropped in price. Since he had less then $900 invested in this TV, won't be a big deal to upgrade.

that's what I would do. I am on your side about the 720/1080 thing. I have a 50" panasonic plasma 720p from a few years ago. It is properly calibrated and looks better than anyone's tv I've seen in person. The only downside I can tell is since I use it as my pc monitor and I have it set pretty small (1024X768) and it could be clearer. I have no major problems reading with the text that small, but I imagine 1080p would be an improvement I'd notice,
Old 04-01-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Beau B
Ha Ha You guys are crazy. Very nice .
You have NO idea!

I will always have this setup as long as I live in this house.
No other setup would look right in this room.

At the very least I could sit 10 feet from the set but no closer.
I have one of those home theater wrap around seating groups that cant go any closer.

Let me be clear; I have nothing against 1080p. I don't think it will hurt the image quality. I just would never pay MORE for 1080p on such a small set sitting that far away. Now there very well may be other reasons to get the 1080p set including using as a computer monitor, maybe the 1080p version has more features or you just want to be able to tell your friends you have "True HD" or "Real HD" or want to have that little 1080p sticker on there for all to see.

But from an image quality standpoint, I stick to my guns and say your not going to see a difference on that small a set sitting that far away regardless of source. But if you want to spend the money, go for it.

No projecter because I have a drop ceiling. I dont care for them anyway.
While I think it is cute and all that you still measure a display in inches...how could you NOT like them? Seriously? You must have never seen even a decent set up of a modern DLP or LCD.

Nothing and I mean nothing draws you into the experience like a set you measure by the feet. You do know they can be table mounted right?

Seriously I would KILL for a basement! I'd love a clean slate to put my theater in.

Pioneer set is 2300 plus tax at Best Buy, a little out of price area.
The Kuro is just awesome. I would think with shopping you could beat that price. But the Panasonic is close. Serisouly for the money you are willing to spend I would only look at the Pioneer and Panasonic Plasma. The Samsung is solid, but your not saving enough money any more (if at all) to not get the Panny. Besides if you insist on sitting that far way, then the 58" model should still be in your price range.

edit, I meant to say if you are looking at plasma, then for the money in your budget I'd only get the Pioneer or Panny.

Thanks, Beau
Your welcome. And if think we are crazy...venture over to AVS! LOL

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-01-09 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-01-09, 09:30 AM

I sit 14' from my 50" plasma. When I bought it I thought it was big. 2 weeks later I want a 58".

Mine is 720p. No need for 1080p at that distance.
Old 04-01-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Basement = Project.

< /thread>

No, really. You have to experience one to know. I have a panny 720p projector and more than one year later I still enjoy watching anything on it like the first day. And yeah, if you get an LCD projector it can be mounted anywhere.
Old 04-01-09, 11:55 AM

Thanks guys, this is getting good

Even if I use the 360 for games and a Blu Ray player for movies I wont see the 720p-1080p difference?

So your saying if I get a good 720 set calibrated I wont be able to tell the difference from a 1080 set just because i sit more than 10 feet away?

If you guys say I need a 58in set at that distance, which ones are good?
Do they make a good 58in 720p set?

Beau
Old 04-01-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's always this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...a_Display.html

I have one of these professional ones (doesn't come with a tuner, stand, speakers - I use a cable box for tuner, wall mount, and use my own speakers through a receiver). You would need to also get the hdmi card. They have a 50" version as well (in both 720 1080p) of the professional model as well.

It used to be that the professional model was the way to go, but it seems the prices didn't ever really drop like the commercial models.
Old 04-01-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3
Basement = Project.

< /thread>

No, really. You have to experience one to know. I have a panny 720p projector and more than one year later I still enjoy watching anything on it like the first day. And yeah, if you get an LCD projector it can be mounted anywhere.
Yup...I installed my first pj (a classic X1) about 4 years ago for movie nights. It turned into our most watched display unit. Two years later I replaced it with a 720p DLP. Yea, with no lens shift you have to really measure carefully. But you only do that once, and you are set. I just recently replaced the bulb in mine. We watch it ALL the time. Seriously, have it on a lot. LOVE it. Great for prime time, movie watching, sports, everything! Of course PS3 is fun and BD rocks.
Old 04-01-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks guys, this is getting good

Even if I use the 360 for games and a Blu Ray player for movies I wont see the 720p-1080p difference?
It is an issue of size and distance. But at some point your eyes simply are not good enough to make out all the resolution of 1080p. It doesn't make any difference the source. It is your eyes that have the limitation, not the source.

So your saying if I get a good 720 set calibrated I wont be able to tell the difference from a 1080 set just because i sit more than 10 feet away?
It not just distance, but size. I can tell you I have a 94" screen for my 720p PJ. It looks damn good sitting at 10.5 ft with HD sources (I do HD dish, HD DVD and PS3 for BD). I like it even better at 12.5 feet (my 2nd row of setting). Now at that size and distance I think 1080p would be an improvement. I question it would be the OH MY GOD night and day improvement, but I think it would be an improvement.

Depending on who you talk to and what you read will determine the aprox "cut off" point. Personally if your sitting 10 or more feet away I don't think your going to see a difference till you get in the 60" size range. I know I wouldn't spend more just to get 1080p at 55" for sure.

Also don't get to hung up on resolution. Resolution is only about the 4th most important factor in overall image quality. So even if you discount what I'm saying, I'd still argue that a 720p Panasonic 50 plasma will have a better overall image then, oh 95% of of the 1080p LCD out there. Things such as black levels, contrast and color play more important factors in image quality then resolution. If resolution were the only issue we would all be telling you to go to Costco and get the 55" or 58" Visio LCD 1080p for $1,500!

If you guys say I need a 58in set at that distance, which ones are good?
Do they make a good 58in 720p set?

Beau
Panasonic makes a 58" plasma. They also make a 54" model I see (must be new). If you got 58" and sit right at 10' then it would probably make reasonable sense to go 1080p. I don't even know if they have them in 720p. If they do they are probably last years model. Which isn't a bad thing. If you go 58" but then sit 14-16 feet away...then again I'd consider 720p.
Old 04-01-09, 12:43 PM

No, I will not ever be using this set for a pc monitor.

Just watching tv,360 and BD.

I just want to make a good choice. If I go with a good 720p set now as some of you say to save some cash.

In a year from now I dont want to tell wife I need another set to go to 1080p.

This took a few months to talk her into this one now HA HA HA.

Beau
Old 04-01-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well that is certainly an issue. The WAF (wife acceptance factor) is a major issue in purchasing.

If you don't change your seating, you want "need" 1080p in a year. That is unless you have eye transplant surgery with an Eagle or something.

Of course there is also a comfort level. If it is going to constantly bug you that you didn't get 1080p, then that will obviously effect your enjoyment of the set. And of course you got the "friend" issue. All my friends are amazed at my theater room. They cannot believe the image quality. But then I tell them it is "only" 720p and they start telling how bad it is...LOL...so I don't tell them any more...LOL...I've even told two of them who "know technology" that when I put a new bulb in, I went with a 1080p bulb. They say "yea...you can really tell the difference"....LMAO.

Having a regret for getting 720p in that size set, would be emotional. But it would effect you just the same. If you think it will lesson your enjoyment, get the 1080p

IMO, the most important issue is to not get a LESS quality set to get 1080p. Don't think the Panny plasma 1080p is to much so then you go get a Westinghouse LCD 1080p. If you have it in your budget, it won't effect you getting a nice surround set up (remember the surround set up is 50% or more of the experience), then sure get the 1080p Panny if it makes you feel more comfortable with with your purchase choice.
Old 04-01-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I must have mistaken. I was at Costco picking up some steaks for this weekend and I could have sworn I saw the 46" Panny Plasma for $850. Could that be right? That is an awesome deal!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.