Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency - New HBO Series

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-29-09, 08:41 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

This series just debuted on HBO tonight. Anyone catch it?

http://www.hbo.com/no1ladiesdetectiveagency/
Old 03-29-09, 08:44 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency - New HBO Series

I forgot this was starting. I just set my DVR to cacth the rerun that starts in about 15 minutes.

It's not really something I have a pre-existing interest in, but as far as I can remember, I've enjoyed every HBO drama series (yes, I even enjoyed John From Cincinnati), so I will give this one a try.
Old 03-30-09, 12:36 AM

I thought it was good. A really interesting setting with very likable characters. I'll keep watching.
Old 03-30-09, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed it too. Like you said the cast was very likable.
Old 03-30-09, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't watched it yet, but I recorded it. My interest was piqued when I heard that the late Anthony Minghella directed the pilot.
Old 03-30-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I haven't watched it yet, but I recorded it. My interest was piqued when I heard that the late Anthony Minghella directed the pilot.
Ditto.
Old 03-30-09, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slow start, but very entertaining.
Old 03-31-09, 02:04 AM

Very enjoyable...will be tuning in again.
Old 04-01-09, 10:03 PM

Definitely a good start, but I'd hope it would be since it was directed by the late Anthony Minghella. Has HBO ever done a 2 hour pilot before? It seemed like it was almost shot as a stand alone film, but then they decided to make a series out of it. I was also surprised to see that it was shot back in 2007, any reason HBO sat on it for so long?

As for the show, I thought it had a really great mix of comedy and drama. I wonder if we've seen the last of Stringer Bell?
Old 04-01-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
It seemed like it was almost shot as a stand alone film, but then they decided to make a series out of it.
I thought that's exactly what it was.
Old 04-01-09, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by bdshort
It seemed like it was almost shot as a stand alone film, but then they decided to make a series out of it.
You're right.

The production was initially envisaged as a film rather than a television adaptation. British director Anthony Minghella was a known fan of the books and after optioning the film rights he worked with the publishers to write a blurb for the paperback edition. Minghella was committed to directing the project himself but it was several years before his schedule allowed pre-production to commence. Producer Amy J. Moore was a catalyst in the decision for an on location production in Botswana. Minghella, having filmed The English Patient in Africa, was concerned with the realities of importing equipment and housing the cast and crew for the production. Moore had travelled extensively in Africa including Botswana and had worked on promoting South African film and bringing African produced plays to an Off Broadway setting. A friend approached her with the novel in 2000 and she greatly enjoyed it. Once attached to the project she convinced Minghella to visit the country with her in 2004 and took him camping in the Makgadikgadi Pans. The promise of funding from the country's government convinced Minghella to shoot on location. Minghella also approached The Weinstein Company for funding and Harvey Weinstein has commented that he thought it was important to fund the production because it would be impossible to sell to a network or studio solely as a concept.

Production on the pilot began on 2 July 2007. At this stage the producers were Sydney Pollack and Minghella of Mirage Productions and Weinstein. Weinstein has commented on the project saying that "like all fans of Alexander McCall Smith's magisterial books, I became enchanted with the wonders and charms of Botswana." Oscar-winning director Anthony Minghella helmed the pilot episode and co-wrote the teleplay with Oscar nominated writer Richard Curtis. Although McCall Smith declined to write the adaptation, he remained involved as an adviser and visited the set during production. While filming the pilot episode Minghella publicly expressed concerns about how the film might be received in cinemas because the story is far removed from crime genre conventions and has little action. Minghella raised the possibility of it appearing on television instead and he decided to offer the film as a feature length pilot.

Once the pilot was completed HBO and the BBC ordered a further six one-hour episodes. The collaboration marks the Weinstein Company's first foray into television and Harvey Weinstein commented that he is thrilled to be working with HBO on the project because he believes they are responsible for producing television that is often superior to films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No....ncy_(TV_series)
Old 04-02-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I saw the promo for this some time back and AH LOOOOVES me some Jill Scott so I'd like to catch it if I get a chance.

Old 04-06-09, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts

My wife and I watched the pilot ep tonight (DVR FTW) and it is now a series recording.

I, too, love me some Jill Scott.
Old 04-06-09, 04:32 AM
Banned

I hope people check this show out because it is a wonderful show. Great writing, great characters and beautiful locations.
Old 04-06-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It took me awhile to get into the pilot, but overall I think I liked it. I am interested to see how it flows as a series.

The pacing of the pilot was the weird thing to me, with so many cases going on. Haven't watched the first regular episode yet, but I am curious to see how the regular episodes are structured.
Old 04-06-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never read the book, but I watched the pilot and half of the second episode and I'm really liking it so far.

Anyone know how it's doing ratings wise?
Old 04-06-09, 01:57 PM

I caught it. Thought it was cute.
Old 04-06-09, 02:03 PM
Banned

I am starting to develop a crush on the secretary chick. I have seen her in Dreamgirls and now this and something about her does it for me.
Old 04-22-09, 02:27 AM

I'm sad to see there isn't more love for this show here. Sunday's episode was in particular very well done, probably the best episode so far. I guess everyone is waiting for Season 2 of True Blood instead!
Old 04-22-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm actually enjoying the series a lot more than the pilot. With everything usually dark with HBO it's a good change of pace for them to put on something light but engaging.
Old 04-22-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up dropping this show after the second episode. I just couldn't get into the plots, I found them very disjointed. The episodes dragged for me.
Old 04-22-09, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. I really think my wife would enjoy this show, so I've held off on watching the subsequent episodes because I want to watch them with her. For whatever reason, she doesn't really want to watch this show, so we haven't watched yet. But I will wear her down!