Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

convergence problem on t.v., any fix? (found using Ultimate DVD)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

convergence problem on t.v., any fix? (found using Ultimate DVD)

Old 04-26-00, 10:01 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
is there any way to fix this problem without calling a tech? (i was running video calibration stuff from Ultimated DVD platinuma and the convergence test pointed it out).

--HN
Old 04-27-00, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We need more information! You may be able to fix this problem without calling a tech, but unless you provide us with specific information on make and model we cannot help you.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 04-27-00, 04:38 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whoops, thought it was a generic fix with contrast or brightness or something. here's the info:

Toshiba 32" model number CZ32V61. Just got it yesterday and one of the first things i did was run video calibration off the ultimate dvd tools. I also have another problem but i wanna fix one before i head off onto the other. Thanks for lookin!

--HN
Old 04-27-00, 11:47 PM

Can you explain the "convergence problem" a little more? I don't only use AVIA and VE so I'm not sure what convergence pattern Ultimate DVD has, but your Toshiba is a direct view set and should not have any convergence problems. I suspect that the lines on the Ultimate DVD are not the same width or something simple like that.

Generally speaking, convergence is only a problem with projection sets, ie Red, Blue & Green CRTs need to be "converged." Your direct view set should not have a problem. I suggest that you return the set if it has a problem.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 04-28-00, 03:06 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The test puts up a pattern of white horizontal and vertical lines making a whole bunch of little black squares. on the left side, all the lines are nice and white. on the right side (towards top and bottom corner) i can see a faint hint of red and green (or was it blue?). either way, there's three colors there (the two colors and white) where as the demo says the lines should just be white. Returning would cost an arm and a leg (bought from mercata). if there's nothing i can do myself i guess next thing to do is call tech?

--HN
Old 04-28-00, 11:59 AM

Good luck calling a tech. Before he spends time with it, Toshiba will have him determine whether it's "within spec". I know from experience that this is their 'out' when it comes to warranty repair (see my review of a similar Toshiba tv on audioreview.com).

It used to be this setting was made via those little concentric rings at the back of a picture tube. I think now that it's a menu adjustment. The trick is to get it into service mode for this. Try this site out for more info: http://members.accessus.net/~090/awh/how2adj.html

Be careful and take notes on current settings. You can make things much worse with one or two keystrokes.