Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Cheap speaker stands?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cheap speaker stands?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap speaker stands?

I'm in desperate need of speaker stands for my rear yambeka bookshelf speakers. The stands I have now are far to short and falling apart. I'm really tight on cash right now so the cheaper the better. The speakers are roughly 5 pounds so they aren't light by any means. I see that monoprice has some cheap stand but they look so light that they would tip over. They say maximum weight is 5lbs and I just weighed them and they came in at 4lb 4 oz so they do meet the requirement but I still can't help but feel like they would tip over. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Cheap speaker stands?

Rear speakers usually work better hanging above you. Possible?
Old 03-26-09, 11:51 PM

Sadly, the way my apartment is set up its really not possible. The living room is really narrow and long so theres really only one way I can have it set up which means there is tons of open space behind the couch so hanging the speakers on the wall behind me isn't possible. The speaker stands I have now are make the speakers positioned below the couch which is a big bummer but they were only $2 at a garage sale so I've dealt with it for now but I really want them set up better.
Old 03-27-09, 06:28 AM

Check your local Craig's List. I see stands on CL all the time, ranging from $10 to $30. They are under the "Electronics" heading. Good luck.
Old 03-27-09, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by emoxley
Check your local Craig's List. I see stands on CL all the time, ranging from $10 to $30. They are under the "Electronics" heading. Good luck.
I don't know why but my area has almost no craigslist postings. Before I moved I was used to being able to find anything on craigslist for the cheap but it's like nothing. Weird thing is I moved to a bigger city.
Old 03-27-09, 10:14 AM

I made my own speaker stands out of a cheap but heavy duty floor lamp from ikea and some L brackets from Home Depot. I believe the entire thing cost me about 20 bucks or less to make 2 heavy duty speaker stands that would easily support your 5lb rear speakers...

If you'd like pictures and descriptions on materials/brands and how to do it then let me know. They are great and the chord runs up through the stand so it doesn't look like a mess.
Old 03-27-09, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital
I made my own speaker stands out of a cheap but heavy duty floor lamp from ikea and some L brackets from Home Depot. I believe the entire thing cost me about 20 bucks or less to make 2 heavy duty speaker stands that would easily support your 5lb rear speakers...

If you'd like pictures and descriptions on materials/brands and how to do it then let me know. They are great and the chord runs up through the stand so it doesn't look like a mess.
Raw that would be awesome. I would love to see pictures and know how to do it. Not only is it cheap but I love DIY stuff. I don't have any Ikeas around me but I have to imagine I could get pretty much the same thing from walmart.
Old 03-27-09, 01:19 PM

For sure, man. When I get home i'll take a few snap shots and explain what I did... It's 2:20pm here EST... check back around 5ish.
Old 03-27-09, 01:32 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it big time.
Old 03-27-09, 04:08 PM

I actually made a video showing my DIY speaker stand and how I made it. Eh, you can at least get an idea, plus I believe you can order the lamps off of Ikea.com...

Anyways, to view the video my youtube channel is
http://www.youtube.com/theopusfuller

It still might be processing. So hang tight.

Hope this helps... If you have any questions, ask away.

Last edited by Raw_and_Vital; 03-27-09 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-27-09, 05:26 PM

Raw thats pretty awesome, thanks for the video. Do you know how heavy your speakers are? I'm still afraid mine might topple over.
Old 03-27-09, 06:41 PM

Thanks... I'm not sure of the exact weight but I know they are at least 3lbs easy. They might look like light plastic but those things are solid and dense. Also the base of those lamps are really heavy.
Old 03-27-09, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital
Thanks... I'm not sure of the exact weight but I know they are at least 3lbs easy. They might look like light plastic but those things are solid and dense. Also the base of those lamps are really heavy.
ya, I just picked up the lamp in my corner and realized how heavy the base on it was. I broke down and bought a pair at target a few days ago and they said they supported 5lbs but they toppled over when my speaker was attached. The lamp base feels much heavier than the speaker stands from Target which is awesome. I'm really excited to try this out, I have to wait till I visit my parents again as I would probably need my dads tools.
Old 03-27-09, 10:29 PM

Well good luck, man. Let me know how it turns out. If you get it finished and made, take some pictures and post 'em.
Old 03-31-09, 08:37 AM

Thanks for sharing the video Raw!
Old 03-31-09, 11:03 AM

OP if that doesn't work I bought my stands at partsexpress.com,you might want to take a look their also.