Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking about switching back to cable tv

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-26-09, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently subscribe to Directv and I'm none too happy about the upcoming price hike. This will drive my bill up to $125 a month . I can't keep justifying having Directv around despite the fact that I love my Directivo dearly. I chatted with a csr with Cablevision who quoted me a rate of $112 for their io Gold package with a dvr and regular box and if I subscribe I get a $10 discount off of the Optimum Online internet service which I currently have.

Is this even worth it?
Old 03-26-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Thinking about switching back to cable tv

I, personally, like Cablevision. Internet speed has always been super fast for me and they have enough HD channels to keep me happy.

I used their HD DVR for a month and ran out and bought a Tivo.
Old 03-26-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The IO DVR blows. I have one and would love to switch but can't at this moment. Give Verizon a call, see how much it'll cost you to switch to thier cable and thier internet. It may be the better deal and I hear (I have no experience though) that their equipment is better.
Old 03-26-09, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The IO DVR blows. I have one and would love to switch but can't at this moment. Give Verizon a call, see how much it'll cost you to switch to thier cable and thier internet. It may be the better deal and I hear (I have no experience though) that their equipment is better.
Fios isn't even available in my area. I'd drop Directv in a heartbeat but I have nothing but love for my Optimum Online service as pricey as it is.

Hearing you confirm how badly their dvr sucks makes me even wonder why I'm contemplating about going back to Cablevision. The price is very tempting though.
Old 03-26-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Call DirecTV. They'll almost assuredly give you something off of your bill. I've had them give six months or a year of $10 off multiple times.
Old 03-26-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I pay about $75 a month for 6 - 7 mbps internet, basic digital cable (all analog channels, about 20 digital-only channels and all analog channels in digital as well), and 10 channels of HBO. I couldn't imagine paying over $100 for anything subscription-related right now.
Old 03-26-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Lurker Gal:
I'm a Directv subscriber (and very happy one) and pay only $76 a month with the price hike included for Choice Plus on 3 TV's and 2 DVR's and No Premium channels.

What the heck are you paying for to make it $125 a month?
Old 03-26-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

The cable company might also give you a deal if they know they're stealing a customer from a satellite company.
Old 03-26-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
What do you hate about IO's DVR? It's the first one I've owned, but I love it.
Old 03-26-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

yeah, if you are out of contract you can call to cancel. they should offer you a pretty good retention deal, provided you stay with them for another two years.
Old 03-26-09, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Lurker Gal:
I'm a Directv subscriber (and very happy one) and pay only $76 a month with the price hike included for Choice Plus on 3 TV's and 2 DVR's and No Premium channels.

What the heck are you paying for to make it $125 a month?
DJariya:

I'm grandfathered under the old Choice Premier package with free Directivo receiver. It was an awesome deal when I first signed up 4 years ago for but with the steady annual price creep I'm currently paying $116. I want to cancel the monthly protection plan but I'm terrified of dropping it and lose my grandfathered status because some idiot csr will see that as altering my plan. If I drop that I won't feel the price hike as much because my bill will still be about the same.