Damages -- "Look What I Dug Up This Time" -- 3/25/09

Old 03-25-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Damages -- "Look What I Dug Up This Time" -- 3/25/09

Damages 1

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Ellen convinces the FBI to change their approach in the investigation. Meanwhile, Daniel Purcell reenters Patty's life and becomes critical to her case against UNR.

This is episode 12. Next week is the season finale.

So, what has everyone thought about season 2? Were you pleased overall? Are you looking forward to another season....as some of you may recall FX greenlit 2 more seasons after season 1.
Old 03-25-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Damages -- "Look What I Dug Up This Time" -- 3/25/09

The case in Season 1 felt somewhat trivial, the fact the entire case rested on a character possibly seeing somebody, while drunk and high in the middle of the night, was just difficult to buy into. It was a phenomenal ride but I was let down a little by a few plot devices.

Season 2 hasn't been quite as twisty but it has in its own way been more satisfying as everything seems to carry a good deal more weight this time around.

So far, I actually have to say I think I prefer Season 2 to Season 1 but both have been phenomenal and I eagerly await these last 2 episodes and any future seasons we're lucky enough to get.

I just really, REALLY hope we get some concrete conclusions this season like we did last season.
Old 03-25-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The case in Season 1 felt somewhat trivial, the fact the entire case rested on a character possibly seeing somebody, while drunk and high in the middle of the night, was just difficult to buy into. It was a phenomenal ride but I was let down a little by a few plot devices.

Season 2 hasn't been quite as twisty but it has in its own way been more satisfying as everything seems to carry a good deal more weight this time around.

So far, I actually have to say I think I prefer Season 2 to Season 1 but both have been phenomenal and I eagerly await these last 2 episodes and any future seasons we're lucky enough to get.

I just really, REALLY hope we get some concrete conclusions this season like we did last season.
I disagree...I fell like that this season. The case last season worked...since it seems like most cases end up that way anyways. This one...I like the corporate stuff (errily accurate, speaking from experience) and Ellen's whole situation (feels real). But may god, keep track who is in bed with who is like passing out condoms at an AIDS benefit...it simply doesn't matter.

I also don't like William Hurt in this. They seemed to make him mysterious for the sake of being mysterious. I have found myself yelling at the TV at times.

Either way, this is appointment TV for sure and I am very much looking forward to next season.
Old 03-25-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I think the fact I watched 4 episodes of this season marathon-style (the 4 eps prior to last Wednesday) has helped keep me clear headed over whose screwing over who.

So much to cover next week for it to be a good finale.

Edit: Ohhh it's a 90 minute finale! YAAH!

Last edited by RichC2; 03-25-09 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Glenn Close is fantastic. Enjoyed Patty shattering Kendrick's aura of confidence.

Damn. Ellen is hell bent on getting revenge on Patty, but at least Tom knows how his boss really feels about him.

Are we really guaranteed a 3rd Season? With these numbers , creators/producers might use the 90-min finale next week to wrap things up.
Old 03-25-09, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing episode & a twist I didn't expect, I love this show....
I hope it doesn't get canceled but those numbers are pretty bad....
Old 03-25-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

630K??? Holy crap that sucks!!! Hopefully FX signed the dotted line on their deal with the Producers of this show and are "Forced" to produce season 3.

I heard that Glenn Close and Rose Byrne are signed to 6-year deals, but that's really stretching it for this show to go on that long.
Old 03-27-09, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I marathoned the entire season 1 and it was so damn good. I took the opposite approach with this season, of course, watching it week to week. Although I am not completely disappointed in it (because of the good acting and cinematography), there is no way this season can overturn season 1 (even if I 'marathoned' this season like last).

The finale may answer every question I have, but that still wouldn't make up for the wasted potential throughout the season. There is just TOO much going on (even for this show) and we haven't gotten any sort of clues about anything really. In the first season, we got those clues throughout the season about what might happen and who was screwing who (some were just red herrings but that was the fun part). This season it just seems like they are giving us all of the boring arcs until the finale.

I loved last season how we got more and more of a certain arc with each episode. For example, the intruder in Patty's apartment trying to kill Ellen. We saw more and more of that scenario almost every week. This season, I really haven't noticed any of this except for this week's episode where Daniel 'kills' his wife - but that was last referenced a handful of weeks ago. Also the main plot point of the "I lied, too" but that was snooze worthy for a while there. In the meantime we get a storyline on....Patty's son hooking up with an older woman...? Okay...

Again, I am enjoying the acting this season but it pales in comparison to season 1.

And I absolutely cannot stand Darrell Hammond here. He rocks it on the burned out SNL when he is on, but here, doing straight drama, he basically sucks. And I hate the 'I smell a fart' expression he has on his face each time he is on camera.

Last edited by conscience; 03-27-09 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-27-09, 07:01 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
And I absolutely cannot stand Darrell Hammond here. He rocks it on the burned out SNL when he is on, but here, doing straight drama, he basically sucks. And I hate the 'I smell a fart' expression he has on his face each time he is on camera.
Both Hammond and William Hurt seem way too "robotic" on this show. I've liked this season, but not nearly as much as last season. I liked Ted Danson as the baddie last season. I understand they probably didn't want another case centered around him, but I liked his character and his small arc this season has been disappointing as well.
Old 03-29-09, 01:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

ya those ratings are terrible

this is one of the best shows on tv, sucks more people haven't gotten into it
Old 03-30-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
There is just TOO much going on (even for this show) and we haven't gotten any sort of clues about anything really. In the first season, we got those clues throughout the season about what might happen and who was screwing who (some were just red herrings but that was the fun part). This season it just seems like they are giving us all of the boring arcs until the finale.
I agree. There is too much happening. I finally sort of gave up being concerned about trying to track it all when we learned there was someone pulling the strings behind the FBI guys. I was like "oh come on now... them TOO?!?!" I'm enjoying the show, but I'm concerned as to how this final episode is going to really tie ALL of this season's shit together.

"I lied too."