Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol Top 10, March 25/26 Motown Week

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which singer will be voted off on Thursday?
Lil' Rounds
0%
Allison Iraheta
0%
Megan Joy Corkery
35.71%
Michael Sarver
57.14%
Scott McIntyre
7.14%
Anoop Desai
0%
Danny Gokey
0%
Adam Lambert
0%
Matt Giraud
0%
Kris Allen
0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's Motown week at American Idol, the mentors are Motown label founder Berry Gordy Jr. and singer Smokey Robinson. Robinson will perform on the Thursday results show.

This is the first time since Season 2 that AI has been to Detroit.

Who do you think will be going home on Thursday?

http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season_8/

In the poll, vote for who you think will be going home, not who you want to go home.

And if any mods are reading this, could you change the end date on the poll from 3/26 to 3/27? Thanks!

Last edited by Heat; 03-25-09 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-25-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: American Idol Top 10, March 25/26 Motown Week

I love Megan but just don't think she has the vocal style to make any impact during Motown week.

This week plays up to a lot of the contestants like Danny, Anoop, Lil, Matt, and Chris. Heck, even Sarver will be okay with this format.
Old 03-25-09, 11:35 AM

I voted for Sarver to go home.

I liked him in the Hollywood rounds, but he has just become stagnant since then. After Nashville Star, he should have the advantage of being comfortable on stage, but his song choices have puzzled me. I just kinda zone out when he's singing.
Old 03-25-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Renee
I voted for Sarver to go home.

I liked him in the Hollywood rounds, but he has just become stagnant since then. After Nashville Star, he should have the advantage of being comfortable on stage, but his song choices have puzzled me. I just kinda zone out when he's singing.
I don't think he was on Nashville Star.
Old 03-25-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stumbled across this and I'm speechless.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/american-id...m-lambert--191

'American Idol': The Case for Adam Lambert
By Mindy Monez - TWoP | Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 3:49 PM

Should Adam stay?
Ray Mickshaw/Getty Images/FOXSo this week on "American Idol" Adam Lambert turned a popular Johnny Cash song into a faux Middle Eastern new wave snake-charming chantey, and then the Internet exploded. With hatred for Adam Lambert. Which then caused me to explode with hatred for the Internet, because Adam Lambert is the best thing that's ever happened to "American Idol", and I'll tell you why.

He's not boring.
Anoop, for arbitrary example, is an interesting guy on a personal level because he's really smart and it's always fascinating to see a really smart person on a reality show, but he's a dull, wedding band-level singer. A lot of the other contestants are likable and have "a story," which is relevant on this show for reasons surpassing logic, but I don't care about them because they are boring. Allison Iraheta is the only exception I can think of, because she seems crazy in a good way, and she can actually sing, but she's not half the entertainer Adam is. Can you imagine going to an Adam Lambert concert? With production, costumes and a set list that Adam Lambert has complete creative control over? Even Madonna would be like, "Damn! It's only a concert! Tone it down!"

He's a risk taker.
When other "Idol" contestants defend their performances by saying "I took a risk," they usually mean "I sang a boring and/or too hard for me song." Or in Megan's unique "Rockin' Robin" case, a stupid and mind-blowingly irrelevant song. When Adam Lambert defends his risks, he's defending turning "Ring of Fire" into an over-the-top belly dancing routine, and doing it well. You can't tell me the man doesn't have a vision.

He's the best singer there.
The guy's range is incredible, and he sings circles around all the other contestants every week. I hear a lot of complaints about him being too musical theater, and I don't think that's inaccurate, I just don't think that's inherently a criticism. What does that even mean? He's a classically trained super-ham with great stage presence? It's not like he's going out there all the guy from the "Bring It On" auditions who sings "Give My Regards to Broadway"; he sings pop songs in a pop way. It's just that his voice is so perfect technically that he sounds like you paid 85 bucks to sit and listen to him sing.

He's unique without being terrible.
Which is more than I can say for Megan, who they keep calling unique because she dances weird. To borrow the old "Top Chef" fan pastime, it's called "American Idol", not "America Can't Dance".

On a side note, word around the online campfire is that Adam's safe this week, which is great, but also that Danny Gokey has probably received the most votes. I actually don't think he's that terrible, but why, why, why is he so insurmountably popular? Why? I don't think it's the dead wife thing anymore, I really don't. But I also don't understand what else it could be, because he's not that great of a singer. Has America lost its mind?
Old 03-25-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That bitch is bat shit crazy.
Old 03-25-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll address the arguments:

1) Not boring. Being totally fucking crazy doesn't make it good.

2) Risk Taker. Nothing like stealing other people's wacky versions of songs to be labeled as a risk taker. Honestly, for him, sing the song NORMAL would have been more of a risk.

3) Best singer. Sure the kid has range, but he's breathy and screechy.

4) Unique w/o being terrible. Actually that's exactly what he is.

It will wear off soon...
Old 03-25-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Hopefully Motown will be a decent week. I can see Danny Gokey doing well as he has a really soulful R&B type voice.
Old 03-25-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 of our three vote getters have been bad. Just need Sarver to suck too for our little poll to be spot on.
Old 03-25-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'll address the arguments:

1) Not boring. Being totally fucking crazy doesn't make it good.

2) Risk Taker. Nothing like stealing other people's wacky versions of songs to be labeled as a risk taker. Honestly, for him, sing the song NORMAL would have been more of a risk.

3) Best singer. Sure the kid has range, but he's breathy and screechy.

4) Unique w/o being terrible. Actually that's exactly what he is.

It will wear off soon...
... Agreed with all points, and I hope it wears off soon.
Old 03-25-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Scott doesn't belong in the Top 10, sorry.
Old 03-25-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Stumbled across this and I'm speechless.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/american-id...m-lambert--191
Oh shut up Mindy. Adam sucks and most of America agrees. Deal with it.
Old 03-25-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just don't get it... I think I may have to give up on this season because Im just watching something different than the judges.
Old 03-25-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allison is far and away the best singer in this competition.
Old 03-25-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I just don't get it... I think I may have to give up on this season because Im just watching something different than the judges.
You're not alone. Seems like almost every performance, I'll look to the wife and say "that was terrible", just to hear the judges lather on the praise, or vise-versa.

Oh, and Adam kinda looked like a really young Kurt Russell tonight...
Old 03-25-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Meagan Joy was awful. Just awful. Scott is sappy. Sarver is bland. Either of those 3 can go...now.

Loved Matt. Loved Kris. And I really liked Adam. Sorry all, but I thought he showed tremendous range and tenderness. Love the control in his voice tonight. Yes, I know he has haters, but I think he is truly talented, and mixes it up and you never know what your going to get, unlike the rest of them out there, who sound exactly the same, week after week.
Old 03-25-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Yeah as much as I hate to say it Adam was very good tonight. Megan was a disaster but if I voted I would vote for her because she's a POA.
Old 03-25-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Adam played it smart tonight. But his over the top horrible performances will return. Count on it. I thought the judges were extremely harsh on Danny. I thought he was great. And MUCH better than Adam.
Old 03-25-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's the thing...
Meghan is a goner.
Old 03-25-09, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Danny's like that karaoke champ character played by Huey Lewis in "Duets", sounds fine, but doesn't really offer much in terms of artistry or interpretation.

Adam did look like a cross between young Bono and Kurt Russell with the pompodoo. He nailed his song. I usually have this weird minor breathing thing when I hear something that affects me, not just aurally, and Adam's performance was the one that brought forth such a physiological response from me.

I simply can't watch Scott when he's performing, his eyes just spook me out each and everytime.

Allison's got ridiculous stage presence for a teen, she's the "natural" for this season, but can her talent garner enough votes to make it to the final four?
Old 03-25-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Danny's like that karaoke champ character played by Huey Lewis in "Duets", sounds fine, but doesn't really offer much in terms of artistry or interpretation.

Adam did look like a cross between young Bono and Kurt Russell with the pompodoo. He nailed his song. I usually have this weird minor breathing thing when I hear something that affects me, not just aurally, and Adam's performance was the one that brought forth such a physiological response from me.

I simply can't watch Scott when he's performing, his eyes just spook me out each and everytime.

Allison's got ridiculous stage presence for a teen, she's the "natural" for this season, but can her talent garner enough votes to make it to the final four?
Danny is a total tool. He is Taylor Hicks version 2. He knows it and Simon knows it. A Danny/Adam finale would be boring as hell.
Adam reminds me of the Darren Hayes (formerly of Savage Garden) with his falsettos. I thought everyone else was bland.
Kris once again got screwed by the producers being buried in the 2 spot even though he is getting good reviews and positive reactions.
Old 03-25-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Adam was indeed very good tonight. I still can't stand the guy, but I have to give credit where it's due.
Old 03-25-09, 11:40 PM

Scott is so awful.

The fact that Alexis is gone and Scott and Meagan are around .. UHGH.
Old 03-25-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

I voted for Megan, but if I had my choice I'd send home Michael. Even when she's bad, she's interesting to watch. But I fear the robins will caw in sadness after tomorrow's show.

Anyone else notice how Smokey gave Danny specific advice ... and after agreeing to the change, Danny blew it off during the live performance
Old 03-26-09, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Megan was not good but I hope she stays. I voted (in this poll, not by phone) for Sarver, who might have given himself the kiss of death by sounding like he was OK with leaving. And as someone who liked Adam last week, I was glad to see him appeal to more of the masses this week.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.