Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which setup to go with, HD-dvd and upconverting related.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as far as my hookup situation goes I have 2 hdmi ports on my reciever and 3 on my tv. I have my toshiba A3 and PS3 plugged into the reciever and then the reciever plugged into the tv. The other two HDMI spots on the TV are taken up by my Xbox 360 and DVR Cable Box.

Now I also have a xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on, an A2 player and an Oppo that aren't hooked up. Right now I'm debating on taking out the A3 and using the 360 add-on for HD-dvd's and then I would be able to put up the Oppo. My reason for wanting to do this is because I really have not been that impressed with the A3's upconversion and I do have a lot of international DVD releases that I wouldn't mind watching. I don't know if somethings wrong but with the A3 a message pops up often saying that the movie can only be played in 480p, I assume this means it isn't upconverting to its real potential. My question really is how is the HD DVD add on compares to the A3 strictly in the HD-DVD playing category, I don't care if the add on is worse of a upconverter since I'll have the oppo for that. I'm pretty sure I already know that the oppo is a better upconverter than the A3 although maybe I've just been spoiled by HD and thats why the A3's upconversion doesn't look as good as I think it should.

Last edited by takingchase; 03-24-09 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Which setup to go with, HD-dvd and upconverting related.

480p means it isn't upconverting at all. Maybe due to coding on the disc, copy protection, something like that.

For your many devices, maybe this would be the best idea:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 03-24-09, 11:44 PM

Thats exactly what I figured, the problem is it seems like it pops up on almost all my discs. I have seriously considered that switcher from monoprice but my problem is I have no more room for any more devices. As it is I had to get another little stand to set up next to my entertainment stand so that I have room to house the 360 and cable box.
Old 03-25-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It has screw slots on the bottom to mount on the side or back of a cabinet if you like. And it is very small. Check the dimensions. Mine is sitting on top of my receiver, if I don't show it to a person, they'd never know it's there.

Afraid I don't know what might be right or wrong with the A3, never had one. Plenty here invested in HDDVD, maybe there'll be another comment or two.
Old 03-26-09, 10:01 AM

Spiky first off I just want to thank you for chiming in and trying to help. I do have room for the switcher what I meant was that if I kept the A3 hooked up I won't have anywhere to put the Oppo. I've really come around to the idea of getting the switcher though, I just have to figure out a problem around my space issues.