Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ready for a new Naked Gun? Because I am!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-23-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Read this over at Aint It Cool...and damn if it doesn't sound pretty funny. Here's hoping it goes somewhere.

I love spoof movies, but not what they’ve become. A genre once defined by Airplane!” and “Blazing Saddles” has deteriorated into crapitude like “Epic Movie,” “Meet The Spartans” and “Disaster Movie.” There’s nowhere left to go, except a parody called “Spoof Movie” I guess.

Off and on, I’d heard talk of doing a fourth “Naked Gun” movie, but none of it really seemed to go anywhere. The last one “Naked Gun 33⅓” underperformed and everybody only really liked the first film. On every level, it seemed like a bad idea, especially since Leslie Nielsen is ninetysomething, so I was pretty surprised to read a rave review at www.hollywoodelsewhere.com for a script called “THE NAKED GUN: WHAT 4? THE RHYTHM OF EVIL.”

It wasn’t written by anyone involved with the original films, usually not a good sign, but it is written by the same guy that created the TV series “ Sledge Hammer!” so he s got some spoof cred. I was able to get my hands on the script and was pretty skeptical… until I started reading it. THE NAKED GUN: WHAT 4? reinvents the premise and is as funny as the first film and better than the other two sequels.

NG4 takes “The Files of Police Squad” and shifts it into the gritty, super violent world of contemporary “bad cop” movies like “Training Day,” “Internal Affairs,” “Dark Blue” and “The Departed.” Police corruption in Los Angeles is shown as out of control with cops snatching purses, highway patrolmen accepting credit cards and one section of the city literally transformed into a “Grand Theft Auto” video game. Everyone wonders how you can make a “Naked Gun” movie without mentioning O.J. and the screenplay addresses this head on and rather brilliantly within the first three pages. Without giving too much away, the character of Nordberg and Simpson’s fa tes paralle l each other pretty closely.

An ambitious Commissioner decides the only way to save the city is to reactivate the long inactive Police Squad, a division with a reputation similar to “The Untouchables,” and calls a retired Frank Drebin for guidance. Drebin initially thinks he’s being called back to active duty. He’s excited: “I can still do everything I did thirty years ago… just slower and with more mistakes,” but instead gets persuaded to name a successor. Throughout, Drebin is depicted like Obi Wan and even offers some early voice over narration but has to stop because the entire city can hear it.

A young detective named Vince Conklin arrives on the scene. He’s Drebin ’s pick, a guy who quit a promising career in law enforcement and no one knows why, including Conklin as he has a void in his memory, a mystery that gets revealed, and he’s teamed with an Internal Affairs investigator, Lt. Erica Litvak, to handpick uncorrupted people to comprise Police Squad 2.0.

The script features the requisite rapid-fire jokes and sight gags one would expect from “The Naked Gun,” the formula the beloved ZAZ team defined, but also has a very different level of satire and social commentary throughout. There’s a dig at the last “Die Hard” movie as anytime a character says “fuck” the word gets conveniently clipped off by either a gunshot or car horn. A marquee at a Magic Johnson movie theater reads: “Indiana Jones & The All White Cast.” There are cameos, like Gordon Ramsey wigging out about food on a plane and leading a “United 93” charge of the cockpit. The TV shows “CSI” and “Law & Order” get lampooned with an interrogation scene so dimly20lit no one can find the door at the end, as well as a hot female coroner that performs an autopsy that goes gorily wrong. There seems to be a shot taken in the direction of “24” with a split screen sequence that shows inconsequential stuff happening as well as a scene from another movie entirely.

Besides the high batting average for laughs, ultimately what makes the screenplay work is that it features an actual story with a real investigation and a twist ending. It’s a real whodunit. Similar to the first “Naked Gun,” Conklin gets romantically involved with the main female character and discovers she might have ties to the bad guys. I actually cared about the resolution, which surprised me.

Probably the biggest surp rise is this script appears to have been written for Paramount’s DVD division, either that or it got shifted over since so many spoof movies have bombed. This shouldn’t be the case for this one not just because of an inspired script, but also because the legacy of “The Naked Gun” deserves better. While anything called __________ Movie should be flushed, “The Naked Gun: What 4?” is the shit.

It restores quality control to a badly damaged genre and reboots a much loved film series.
The first is one of my favorite comedies of all time. And I enjoyed the sequels as well (especially Anna Nicole Smith when she was hot). I'd be all over a new movie.
Old 03-23-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Ready for a new Naked Gun? Because I am!!!

I'd be leery of any new installment in this franchise (anyone seen George Kennedy lately? Right.), but I do admit that this premise sounds like it could be funny. If they got the right cast and director to work onit, they might have something. Although, if this is planned as DTV then I'm sure I know how it'll turn out.
Old 03-23-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Not sure if I'd go see it, but the premise sounds pretty solid.
Old 03-23-09, 10:15 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan Spencer created Sledgehammer in the vain of the Dirty Harry films and is a huge fan of Get Smart in which the Police Squad series seemed to take its cues from. I wouldn't mind a Direct-to-DVD film of this. It can't be worse then the other garbage they produce
Old 03-23-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I'll watch it, sounds good.
Old 03-23-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

actully sounds funny, I like the set up. Hopefully Nielsen can still bring the funny.
Old 03-23-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure a United 93 gag would be that funny.
Old 03-23-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Unnecessary, IMHO. The first one was the only good one and the sequels were garbage. This will end up as a "Epic/Disaster/Date/Spartans Movie" level of quality, most likely.
Old 03-23-09, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to see Nielsen be funny again...dunno if it'd work with this. I like the premise...but again I dunno
Old 03-23-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Unnecessary, IMHO. The first one was the only good one and the sequels were garbage. This will end up as a "Epic/Disaster/Date/Spartans Movie" level of quality, most likely.

I thought those were suppose to be the new naked gun movies?
Old 03-23-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would watch it if it gets made, can't be any worse that the other ..... Movie movies, and on a side note about Spoof Movie being made. In france after the success of all those ...... Movie they retitled Don't Be A Menace to Spoof Movie, so in france there already is a Spoof Movie . Heck the even retitled The Comebacks to Sports Movie and The Onion Movie to News Movie in the UK
Old 03-23-09, 02:34 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm shocked to say I actually think that description sounds promising, although it really sounds like half Naked Gun, half Police Academy.
Old 03-23-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll watch it but don't call it Naked Gun 4. I would just change the characters names around.

Leave the original by themselves. I'm a huge, huge fan of the original trilogy so I think a 4th would be unnecessary since all of the original cast wouldn't come back.

They were also supposed to do a fourth NG WITH Nielsen, but a Direct-to-DVD one, a year or so ago. I wonder what happened.
Old 03-23-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

The gags in the article seem pretty funny, but the other 99% of the movie could be total shit.
Old 03-23-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I smell straight-to-dvd...i'll pass. Don't you think all the other recent spoof movies were sold the same way? This won't be any different.
Old 03-23-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 03-23-09, 03:46 PM

Yes! Definitely something I'm gonna look forward to, perhaps they can help restore and maintain what was long destroyed by the makers of the Scary Movie series and the other "...Movie" series.
Old 03-23-09, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they can get OJ, I'm in!
Old 03-23-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
I smell straight-to-dvd...i'll pass. Don't you think all the other recent spoof movies were sold the same way?
Of course not. There are funny jokes in the guy's description. Friedberg/Seltzer don't know how to write a funny joke. I don't think they even understand what comedy is.

Hollywood Elsewhere also reviewed this script as great. I'd see it. Better get "Weird Al" Yankovic to be in it though.
Old 03-23-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Hollywood just doesn't know how to do spoof movies anymore. Most likely this'll be just as bad as any of Niesen's other non-ZAZ movies.

Instead of spoofing genres, these guys will most likely just add a comic twist to famous scenes.

I like The Naked Gun series as much as the next guy but I'm guessing this will be another 2001: A Space Travesty or Spy Hard. After years and years of pure shit spoofs I hold little hope for this.
Old 03-23-09, 04:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm not sure a United 93 gag would be that funny.
it was moving along nicely until i read that part and then they lost me.
Old 03-23-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wrongfully Accused was hilarious.
Old 03-23-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Verra
Yes! Definitely something I'm gonna look forward to, perhaps they can help restore and maintain what was long destroyed by the makers of the Scary Movie series and the other "...Movie" series.
Do you mean the Scary Movie series that the Zucker brothers (creators of Naked Gun) took over and made part 3 and 4, the worst of the bunch?
Old 03-23-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Zucker Brothers didn't take over Scary Movie. Just the one Zucker did.

I think Pat Proft had something to do with them, though.
Old 03-23-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ready for a new Naked Gun? No, Three was enough for me....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.