DVD Talk
BIG Blockbuster Sale $1.99-3.99 (YMMV?)...Many Foreign Titles [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : BIG Blockbuster Sale $1.99-3.99 (YMMV?)...Many Foreign Titles

dino88
03-17-09, 08:06 PM
Okay so I just returned from 3 different Blockbusters in my area (just outside St.Louis) and I've found some crazy deals. I'm thinking this has to do with the bankruptcy rumor, because they are getting rid of a lot of their stock for cheap. I asked an employee at the first store and she said they are pulling all of their slow rentals. I found at least 300 dvds at 2 locations and a smaller selection of around 100 at the last store (they were still shrink wrapping alot). Most of the dvds are priced at $3.99, but some can be had for as low as $1.99 (this includes television series). This is much bigger than the last $3.99 sale because it includes a much bigger variety and quantity. If you are into foreign films get to Blockbuster now! **All previously viewed**

Here's what I bought: (all $3.99 unless noted)

Alive (Ryuhei Kitamura)
Bangkok Dangerous
The Five Obstructions
Happenstance
A Snake of June
The Twilight Samurai
From Hell (2 Discs) - $1.99
The Piano Teacher
Cello
The Shield: Season 1 - $1.99
The Shield: Season 2

Some others I spotted:

Alot of Tartan Asia Extreme incl. Marebito, The Maid, The Perfect Crime, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - all $3.99

Don't Move
Maria Full of Grace
Mountain Patrol
The Spanish Apartment
The Duel
The Edukators
Journey From the Fall
Protector (2Disc)
Don't Tell
Dog Bite Dog (2Disc)
Asoka
Three Times
Bad Guy
Dig (2Disc)
The Aura
Pan's Labyrinth (2Disc)

Oz: Season 1-2 - $1.99
Oz: Season 3-4 - $3.99

Freaks and Geeks: Complete Series - $14.99
Undeclared: Complete Series - $14.99

Sleeper Cell: Season 1 - $3.99 (added this bc I saw someone start a separate thread...this one has actually been on sale at this price for the past month or 2)

So, if you're interested in foreign films or television series I would get up to Blockbuster and see what they have available. I visited 3 separate stores so I am thinking this is a widespread sale. Good luck!

COULD A MOD ADD -B&M- TO THE TITLE...thanks

Axeramm
03-17-09, 08:44 PM
No BB stores in my area. Family Video shut them all down when they came to town.

DealBreaker2009
03-17-09, 08:58 PM
Were the discs in the blockbuster cases or their original cases? Hope this sale is nationwide.

Torchur317
03-17-09, 08:59 PM
Most of them would be in blockbuster cases if they were used....
Same with the TV sets, they seal them up to keep them together....

dino88
03-17-09, 09:12 PM
Were the discs in the blockbuster cases or their original cases? Hope this sale is nationwide.

Blockbuster cases, but with original cover art. The television sets had a separate case for each disc, so you don't get the original box but for $1.99 you can't complain.

Cardsfan111
03-17-09, 09:28 PM
OP, you're saying an entire season of The Shield was $1.99? The only reason I want to verify is the last time I was in Blockbuster, I found a table with single discs from a season set (I can't remember what show) on sale for a cheap price. And when I looked closer they were missing one of the discs in the particular season.

dino88
03-17-09, 09:44 PM
OP, you're saying an entire season of The Shield was $1.99? The only reason I want to verify is the last time I was in Blockbuster, I found a table with single discs from a season set (I can't remember what show) on sale for a cheap price. And when I looked closer they were missing one of the discs in the particular season.

Yep, I got season 1 (4discs) for $1.99 and season 2 (4discs) for $3.99. Also saw OZ season 1-4 (stated above). Trust me, I was just as surprised when I saw it on the table. It worked out perfect for me bc I just bought S.3&4 during the Circuit City liquidation.

Herzog4Life
03-17-09, 10:47 PM
Got OZ season 4 for my cousin for his birthday as well as Chicago 10. I'd been looking for that one :)

Cardsfan111
03-17-09, 10:49 PM
Yep, I got season 1 (4discs) for $1.99 and season 2 (4discs) for $3.99. Also saw OZ season 1-4 (stated above). Trust me, I was just as surprised when I saw it on the table. It worked out perfect for me bc I just bought S.3&4 during the Circuit City liquidation.

Nice find, then! You can bet I'll be checking the Blockbusters around me tomorrow.

JoeySeven
03-18-09, 01:48 AM
Okay so I just returned from 3 different Blockbusters in my area (just outside St.Louis) and I've found some crazy deals. I'm thinking this has to do with the bankruptcy rumor, because they are getting rid of a lot of their stock for cheap. I asked an employee at the first store and she said they are pulling all of their slow rentals. I found at least 300 dvds at 2 locations and a smaller selection of around 100 at the last store (they were still shrink wrapping alot). Most of the dvds are priced at $3.99, but some can be had for as low as $1.99 (this includes television series). This is much bigger than the last $3.99 sale because it includes a much bigger variety and quantity. If you are into foreign films get to Blockbuster now! **All previously viewed**

Here's what I bought: (all $3.99 unless noted)

The Twilight Samurai
The Piano Teacher
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - all $3.99
Maria Full of Grace
Mountain Patrol
Dog Bite Dog (2Disc)
The Aura
Pan's Labyrinth (2Disc)

COULD A MOD ADD -B&M- TO THE TITLE...thanks

Good stuff.The Aura is A killer movie,there all very good.

My Blockbuster just had some crap for $3.99.

retroa166
03-18-09, 10:10 AM
i work at blockbuster and the sale isnt because of the bankruptcy rumor.its rather they are trying to get rid of stock of $3.99 and under movies to make room for more 'newer' previously viewed movies.

all stores have different movies based on their inventory,but i would definately hit em up if you wanna get some movies you missed out on for cheap.

i know we have bulks of semi pro,blades of glory,rambo,mad money,avpr,in brugs.all for $3.99 as well as brand new ones for $1.99

dino88
03-18-09, 12:38 PM
i work at blockbuster and the sale isnt because of the bankruptcy rumor.its rather they are trying to get rid of stock of $3.99 and under movies to make room for more 'newer' previously viewed movies.

all stores have different movies based on their inventory,but i would definately hit em up if you wanna get some movies you missed out on for cheap.

i know we have bulks of semi pro,blades of glory,rambo,mad money,avpr,in brugs.all for $3.99 as well as brand new ones for $1.99

Has your store pulled most of your foreign and special interest section and stickered them for $3.99 yet? Because the first 2 stores I visited had more than a third of each section for sale.

redcon1
03-18-09, 04:34 PM
I saw a few copies of The Lives Of Others for $3.99 at one Blockbuster in Florissant(St. Louis suburb). Almost picked it up, but instead grabbed the one copy of Temple of Doom they had for the same price.

I may try to go back this weekend and get Lives as it's a great film.

Cardsfan111
03-18-09, 04:36 PM
No cheap ones at the Blockbuster closest to me, but I may hit some others nearby later this week.

Jippy
03-18-09, 04:46 PM
I saw a few copies of The Lives Of Others for $3.99 at one Blockbuster in Florissant(St. Louis suburb). Almost picked it up, but instead grabbed the one copy of Temple of Doom they had for the same price.

I may try to go back this weekend and get Lives as it's a great film.

Indeed. I picked up Lives at a good used sale last year. Great film that really stays with you.

dino88
03-18-09, 05:11 PM
Here's some more titles I've found:

Tae Guk Gi (The Brotherhood of War) (2Disc) *
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (Shintaro Katsu's last film) *
Zatoichi/Sonatine (2Disc) *
Angel A *
No Man's Land *
The Devil's Backbone *
Casshern
Uzumaki
Exiled
A Tale of Two Sisters
Shiri
Cache
Time of the Wolf
A Very Long Engagement
13 Tzameti
Black Book
Calvaire
The Experiment
Y Tu Mama Tambien
The Memory of a Killer
...all $3.99

*what I purchased

lee_hero
03-18-09, 07:18 PM
No such luck at my local Blockbuster. Sucks.

I would love to grab Casshern and Devil's Backbone as well as a lot of those other Asian titles at these prices.

Dean Kousoulas
03-18-09, 08:24 PM
My Blockbuster is franchise, so I know they won't have the same sale, but those are some amazing prices, especially for TV box sets (as long as you can live without the packagaing)

pvdfan
03-18-09, 08:37 PM
I went to 3 blockbusters tonight. One didn't have the sale, one was waiting to get their computers online to have the sale and one was having the huge sale.

The store having the sale got ride of their entire Special Interest, Foreign films, Gamecube games and original Xbox games. I picked up 6 UFC events for 3.99 each. The had 4 copies of Everybody Hates Chris season 1. They also had every WWE blockbuster exclusive set for 3.99.

moviewizguy
03-18-09, 08:44 PM
There's no sale in my BB...yet.

IamLegend
03-18-09, 09:18 PM
Went to one..some $3.99 titles but nothing of note..the tv series they had were $3.99 but only were for 1 disc of each series...I probally will check an other if passing by one

bigjim25
03-18-09, 09:28 PM
Oz: Season 1 and 2 - $1.99 each
Sleeper Cell: Season 1 - $3.99
I went ahead and picked these 3 sets up for $8.45 total. :banana:

Also seen but passed on:
Everybody Hates Chris Season 1 $3.99
Everybody Loves Raymond Season 1 $3.99
The Jamie Kennedy Experiment Season 1 and 2 $3.99 each
Queer as Folk - The Complete First Season $14.99

JAYARE
03-18-09, 10:56 PM
no go at my bb

richardslinger
03-19-09, 03:11 AM
Hi BigJim25.
I see you are in WV.I am in Beckley..after seeing these prices I'm wondering what Blockbuster had these sets?Beckley? Oakhill??
Anymore OZ?
Thanks in advance for any info.
-RS

strangetramp
03-19-09, 04:12 AM
i'll have to check it out. a little bit ago i picked up time of the wolf and bring me the head of alfredo garcia for 4 dollars each. hope they have some nice foreign stuff tomorrow.

marty888
03-19-09, 09:39 AM
Unless you're interested in buying multiple copies of <i>The Ruins</i>, don't bother stopping by their midtown Manhattan location on 8th Ave.

WEEDEDOUT
03-19-09, 10:56 AM
yeah i went to one location at ellisburg circle in cherry hill NJ and they had an abundance of semi pros, the ruins, grudge 2, avpr, etc

im not going to go out of my way to find anymore at this point.

bigjim25
03-19-09, 10:57 AM
Hi BigJim25.
I see you are in WV.I am in Beckley..after seeing these prices I'm wondering what Blockbuster had these sets?Beckley? Oakhill??
Anymore OZ?
Thanks in advance for any info.
-RS
I usually go to those but haven't checked them yet. I actually had a doctor's appointment in Charleston so I went to the one in front of the Kanawha Mall. The only other Oz there was Season 4 for $3.99.
Also, at the one I went to, the sets weren't with the other used DVDs. They were near the registers with the candy and other crap they sell.

Herzog4Life
03-19-09, 11:50 AM
Got seasons 1 and 2 of OZ for my bro, great find.

whotony
03-19-09, 12:15 PM
Law and Order - first year
$3.99

Torchur317
03-19-09, 12:29 PM
Damn!

dino88
03-19-09, 02:23 PM
Damn!

LOL...so either your Blockbuster isn't having the sale or you just stubbed your toe.

bantheradio
03-19-09, 05:37 PM
Got Oz: Season 1, Bill Hicks: Live, and Chicago 10 for $10 total.

I was going to grab Ren & Stimpy: The Lost Episodes for $4 but remembered how disappointed I was with the first few episodes. Also, I find it rather strange that they had only Season 4 of Oz for $4 while Season 2 was priced at $15.

Great find, op.

Torchur317
03-19-09, 05:47 PM
your Blockbuster isn't having the sale
Law and Order - first year is a pretty impressive find for $3.99....
Not sure if my blockbuster has anything special since last time....
They had the standard stuff like Sleeper Cell & Everyone Hates Chris....
I already own every season of OZ so I'm not worried about them....

printerati
03-19-09, 08:12 PM
The Memory of a Killer

Available for $3 new at Big Lots. I really enjoyed this film.

There are some great titles in these lists!

dino88
03-19-09, 08:54 PM
For anyone that hasn't found the sale at their Blockbuster I would suggest trying again over the weekend. I've gone back since the first day and they are still pulling movies and have stacks behind the counter still needing to be stickered (and whatever else is involved in the process from rental to sale). I've been to a total of 6 stores and some are moving faster on the sale than others, so maybe your particular store just hasn't moved them yet. Keep checking and I hope you can get in on it.

From what I gathered, they are pulling whatever hasn't been rented in a certain amount of time. So if you are looking for particular types of movies (foreign, docs, etc.) and have a few different stores in your area, I would head to the ones where you think those particular types of films may be rented the least.

drmar35mm
03-20-09, 09:57 AM
I found The Shield Season 1 at Blockbuster for $1.99, which is the cheapest I've ever seen a legit TV series box. Haven't seen the show before, but that's only a little more than a single Netflix disc. If I don't like it, I have a friend who does and I'll give it to him.

TGM
03-20-09, 11:50 AM
my local BB had nothing.

MTRodaba2468
03-20-09, 12:08 PM
I'll have to check my local Blockbuster and see what they have...

mike07
03-20-09, 12:48 PM
I'll have to check my local Blockbuster and see what they have...

Ditto. Hope to find something good... but according to a few posters of this thread, I guess it's YMMV.

Chad
03-20-09, 06:34 PM
Didn't see any of the titles mentioned in the original list, but I did manage to snag the Kwaidan Criterion for $3.99.

Nice. :up:

Xbox69
03-20-09, 06:49 PM
Law and Order - first year is a pretty impressive find for $3.99....

Indeed it would be. I'm thinking it might be one of the spin-offs, Criminal Intent, SVU . . . or what other incarnation they've come up with lately. I have the first year 7 disc set (single-sided) and the fold out packaging is impressive. They went to double-sided and fewer discs for the 2nd season. Original series debuted in 1990.

dino88
03-20-09, 07:55 PM
Didn't see any of the titles mentioned in the original list, but I did manage to snag the Kwaidan Criterion for $3.99.

Nice grab Chad, there's one I wish I had found. I'm heading back up to 1 store later to see if any more have been pulled. I'll probably end up buying some that I passed on initially...otherwise I know I'll regret it later when I see the same dvd's for a much higher price.

Cardsfan111
03-23-09, 05:49 PM
No success on the season series found previously, but I did hit a Blockbuster today that had a special on each Sunday/Monday--$2 off any previously viewed DVD $3.99 & over.

Picked up:

Fracture
Deja Vu
Dan in Real Life

Also, picked up 3 individual discs of Friends: Season 9 for 99 cents each.

flansered
03-25-09, 08:33 AM
Found Miike's Dead or Alive for $3.99 and Targets, which I saw at another BB as well.

dino88
03-25-09, 08:50 AM
A few more to add to the collection:

The Dead Zone
Last Life in the Universe
The Spanish Apartment
Russian Dolls

Ocelot
03-25-09, 09:39 AM
i think it's regional... I don't think BBVs in Manhattan have such promotions, no way...

bbuckley23
03-25-09, 01:31 PM
I found Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared, full series of both, for 2 for $20.

Trevor
03-25-09, 01:39 PM
Darn, i forgot to check the 2 for 20 sections.

I hit three BBVs and found at least a small selection of the mentioned titles at each. Didn't find any Sleeper Cell sets, my main reason for checking, but did pick up a handful of foreign titles.

filmsoncon
03-25-09, 01:55 PM
i think it's regional... I don't think BBVs in Manhattan have such promotions, no way...

Yeah, I checked two Manhattan locations and couldn't find anything worth a damn.

strangetramp
03-25-09, 04:28 PM

damn, i'd love to pick that up. i'll have to stop by mine again, they seem to be slowly putting a few more titles out but nothing that good.

i did pick up bad guy and is paris burning? but they didn't seem as if they were having much of a big clearance sale.

i really wanted to find freaks and geeks but they didn't have it :/

asianxcore
03-25-09, 04:54 PM
Novato, CA Blockbuster seems to be running this sale, but it doesn't have it's own separate table/endcap.

Many of the $1.99/$3.99 titles I ran into were mixed in with the rest of their P/V stuff. Didn't see too much but it varied from titles they had a lot of (The Ruins) and foreign titles like the OP mentioned (Russian Dolls).

Picked up The Ruins for $3.99 :)

rider555
03-25-09, 08:06 PM
I went to the one in Independence MO on 23rd st.I asked on of their employees about $1.99 DVDs and she was completely clueless
:scratch2:

rider555
03-25-09, 08:07 PM
I went to the one in Independence MO on 23rd st.I asked on of their employees about $1.99 DVDs and she was completely clueless
:scratch2:

So,as has been the case for many years.......................
Blockbuster :bmonkey:

dino88
03-27-09, 07:55 PM
I just picked up The Unit Seasons 1 & 2 for $20. Both were marked at $14.99 and they qualified for the 2 for $20 deal. Not even close to the deal I got on The Shield, but still a great deal.

MovieMaster11
03-28-09, 02:03 AM
Picked up Degrassi: The next generation S1 for $3.99 tonight Blindbuy. Watched disc 1 and loved it.
Also picked up Cursed unrated for $1.99.

RustyOrgan
03-28-09, 05:38 AM
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/historic_blockbuster_store_offers

videoguy
03-28-09, 10:50 PM
Oh, my god! If I could only add the insanity of my tenure as a BB employee to that video!