Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Behemoth (Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers) -- "Game #3"

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Behemoth (Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers) -- "Game #3"

A super early version of our next game. No title has been determined at this time, or price point, or which console it will be on.
<object width="800" height="450"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3606103&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&ful lscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3606103&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&ful lscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>
The Behemoth - Game #3 Trailer from The Behemoth on Vimeo.

That looks like a blast. Some sort of co-op / competitive platformer.
Old 03-17-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Behemoth (Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers) -- "Game #3"

That looks awesome! The "2010" at the end made me a little sad, but at least we know the end product will be better for that extra time spent on development.
Old 03-17-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME! All right, Hamilton!
Old 03-17-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Castle Crashers was probably one of my favorite games of last year. Looking forward to this
Old 03-17-09, 10:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My wallet's out.
Old 03-17-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Doesn't look like much but I'm sure in a year or so we'll know more. I'm in the minority: I thought Hominid wasn't very good but I loved Castle Crashers so they're 1 for 2 with me.
Old 03-17-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This looks too nintendo / mega man / mario / sonic for me

I loved all those games, but Castle Crashers is just fun! you can play a little bit - put it down and come back another day without missing a beat.
Old 03-19-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blogs/an..._game_playtest

Behemoth's next game still doesn't have a final name. During my booth visit, art director Dan Paladin referred to it as "Behemoth's Next Game After the Last Next Game" (the demo's title screen also said something to this effect). He explained that the game is super early and that everything being shown was just for sample purposes, as a means of seeing how people react.

The demo certainly did seem early, with only four mini games available. But as a good sign of things to come, these all showed potential for great multiplayer fun.

The four mini-games accessible in the demo were as follows. These all take place in maze-like stages created of colored blocks.
  • Block painting game
As players run around the play field, they turn any blocks that they touch to their own color. The goal is to do this for more blocks than your rival. You don't have to do anything to the blocks to change their color -- just walk over them or bump into them from the side or below.
  • Soccer game
Players attempt to knock a soccer ball into a goal. This is done by simply bumping into the ball or punching it.
  • Gold collecting game
There's a giant goldfish floating about the stage. When struck, it releases gold. The goal is to collect as much of the gold as possible.
  • Soul collecting game
In this mini game, when an enemy is defeated, his soul floats away. Collect an opponent's soul, and you get big points. If you lose your soul, you can chase after it once you've respawned, assuming it hasn't already been taken.

Of the four games, I had most fun with the block painting game. And that was when played in single player mode! The frantic race to touch as many blocks as possible looks like it will heat up even further when multiple players are going at it, online or offline.

In the soccer game, it was a bit difficult to control the ball, but once three other players joined in, everyone playing on my team against CPU opponents, this became pretty enjoyable as well, with some of the nicer moments giving me this strange sense that I was really charging at a goal on a soccer field.

I got the feeling that simplicity and pick-up-and-play are the concepts with Behemoth's latest. You have only a couple of actions for your character: a jump, a punch, and a single weapon that's chosen prior to the stage (along with your head shape). You defeat your rivals by stomping on their head. All it takes to send a foe respawning somewhere in the stage is one head stomp.

The stages share some common gimmicks. There are rising platforms which carry you up to higher ground, fire blocks which launch you up, and plenty of death traps, like spikes and deadly columns of light (I don't know what these are, but they kill you instantly).

The demo, it should be noted, was on the Xbox 360. However, Mr. Paladin told me that The Behemoth isn't talking platforms yet. Noting that Alien Hominid (also being demoed at the show) appeared on pretty much everything out there, he said that the goal is to get the game played by as many people as possible.

If the final version offers as much fun as the early demo version suggests, this probably won't be a problem.
Old 03-20-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
This looks too nintendo / mega man / mario / sonic for me

I loved all those games, but Castle Crashers is just fun! you can play a little bit - put it down and come back another day without missing a beat.
That's what's so appealing to me. Castle Crashers looked great and had a great sense of humor, but the gameplay bored me. I loved those scrolling games in 1993, but it just felt a bit tedious to me now.

This video looks like it has more of the elements I like in a game.
Old 03-20-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

To be fair, bored seems to be your default mood.
Old 03-20-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,203 Likes on 4,230 Posts

This could be cool, but since I waited for about 18 months for Castle Crashers to come out, I won't get too excited about this one yet.
Old 03-22-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
To be fair, bored seems to be your default mood.
This wouldn't be the first time I've walked into that.
Old 04-13-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Happy Easter! You know, i’ve felt like we need some kind of an update on here. Maybe you’ve felt the same way? If so, we’re totally on the same wavelength. Right on.

I recently discovered this great Bento work by Anna the red. She has some really nice things to say about Castle Crashers. Thanks, Anna!

That’s right - it’s edible!!! How great is that? I’m really impressed at the complexity here. Do you think anyone ate it later?

Work on the new game is coming along well. If I had to guess, I’d guess that some time around San Diego’s Comic-Con (in July) we’ll have some more to share. That sounds about right!

-dan
Old 04-13-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't like AH but loved CC. The new game does pique my interest but i tend to dislike platformers... So i shall see within the next 5 years when it is actually released.
Old 07-23-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<embed id="mymovie" flashvars="playerMode=embedded&movieAspect=4.3&flavor=EmbeddedPlayerVersion&skin=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/media_player/proteus/one/skins/gamespot.png&paramsURI=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamespot.com%2Fpages%2Fvideo_player%2Fxml.php%3Fid%3D6213860 %26mode%3Dembedded%26width%3D432%26height%3D362" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" name="mymovie" style="" src="http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/media_player/proteus/one/proteus2.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="362" width="432">
Old 07-23-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Love for the first 2, but I just... don't... know... about this one.
Old 07-23-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so...it's like smash bros?
Old 02-02-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BattleBlock Theater

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dxHV5n6AkSI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dxHV5n6AkSI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Having shipwrecked on a mysterious island you find yourself both betrayed by your best friend Hatty and captured by the locals. All of this is happening while being forced into deadly performances. This however, is just the start of your problems.

BattleBlock Theater is our upcoming third title for the Xbox Live Arcade. Website to follow in the next few days and as we inch closer to the release of the title we’ll be unfolding more of the story online.
Old 03-21-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Has it seriously been over a year since we talked about this at all? Yikes.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AL-25TrqEOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-21-11, 10:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
My wallet's out.
Well, it's over two years later and now things are just awkward.
Old 03-21-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still have no idea what to make of this game.
Old 03-21-11, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I still have no idea what to make of this game.
Looks like a more violent version of Raskulls to me.
Old 03-19-13, 02:50 PM

Remember this game? (I doubt it) It's actually coming soon!
<iframe id="viddler-d8b7520c" src="//www.viddler.com/embed/d8b7520c/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&secret=98560986&disablebranding=0&view_secret=98560986" width="545" height="349" frameborder="0" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true"></iframe>
Old 03-19-13, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
That looks awesome! The "2010" at the end made me a little sad, but at least we know the end product will be better for that extra time spent on development.
Quoted for laughs.

It's set to come out April 3, 2013 and cost 1200 points as an XBLA exclusive, at least for now.
Old 03-19-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I guess when you're a 14 person company that is still making money off your first two games you can postpone as long as you want.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.