Reload this Page >

Today Show cancels "Where in the world is Matt Lauer" segment due to Economy

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-14-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I wasn't sure whether or not to put this in the TV forum or not, but since it deals with a TV program, so I'll leave it here.

Personally, I really like this segment of the show every summer. I'm a big fan of International traveling and love seeing International locations/foods on TV. Does anyone here agree with the Today producers call to can this segment this year? Why does everyone have to keep using the fucking economy as an excuse not to due something? The show has the money/budget and sponsorship to do this segment, so why the hell not?

For me, if your employed and have vacation time saved and money put away in the bank, I don't see any problem with taking an international vacation this year.

Why does the Today producers feel some special need to be extra sensitive to people without jobs who can't travel?

I mean if you are unemployed, the last thing you will be thinking about is planning a vacation. Your going to be spending every possible hour of the day on the Net searching for a job. I don't think your going to be sitting in front of the tube watching the Today show at 7am and bitching about this segment because you can't go to Paris.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090313/...gdH3jhLKFxFb8C

NEW YORK – Where in the world is Matt Lauer? Staying in the USA this year.

In a nod to the economy, the "Today" show is putting off its annual mystery trip where Lauer is sent to exotic spots from Monte Carlo to Mount Everest. Instead, NBC's morning team will be spending a week in May exploring affordable vacation spots in the United States.

"Today" Executive Producer Jim Bell said he had solicited suggestions from viewers for this year's "Where in the World Is Matt Lauer" trip. Instead, many told him that in bad economic times, the extravagant trip sent the wrong message.

"Going from Paris to the Pyramids began to feel potentially out of touch," Bell said Friday.

The segments have become Lauer's signature, and one of the most popular features on television's most popular morning show. For a week, Lauer is in a different location every day, giving clues to see if his colleagues and viewers can guess in advance where he is going. Each day's show then focuses on stories happening at the spot being visited.

Lauer has been sent on nine of the trips, logging more than 200,000 miles in the air.

He'll have traveling companions for the domestic trip. Other members of the "Today" team — Meredith Vieira, Ann Curry and Al Roker — will be with him. All four traveled to Beijing for coverage of the Olympics, and Bell likes the vibe of keeping them together.

The series begins May 1. The "Today" team goes to Ireland next week.

Partly because the domestic trip hasn't been mapped out yet and partly because four on-air personalities are traveling instead of one, Bell said he isn't sure whether the switch would save money or actually be more expensive for producers.

"This show takes great pride in reflecting what's going on in the world," Bell said, "and this just feels right."

Last edited by DJariya; 03-14-09 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-14-09, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Today Show cancels "Where in the world is Matt Lauer" segment due to Economy

I don't really care. Seems like they are just pulling a stunt on the back of their regular stunt feature. The feature became more about how much Matt traveled than the places he visited anyway. He spent almost all his time either on a plane or on the show repeating whatever information his producers handed to him when he got off the plane. The Travel Channel runs better travel shows every day.
Old 03-14-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Today Show cancels "Where in the world is Matt Lauer" segment due to Economy

If I recall correctly, the last time they did some sort of flying around the world week, gas prices were through the roof and they got called out on that.
Old 03-14-09, 08:56 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

So instead they are sending Al and Meredith to Ireland for two days.
Old 03-14-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
The feature became more about how much Matt traveled than the places he visited anyway. He spent almost all his time either on a plane or on the show repeating whatever information his producers handed to him when he got off the plane.
Exactly. It was simply a "look what we can do" stunt segment that quite frankly has been pretty stale for a few years. I think they may have used the economy as an excuse for axing what has been run into the ground. There were simply not enough cool new places to go. Good riddance. In fact The Today show in general was flat out tired on many levels before they added an extra two hours of crap with Hoda and Kathy Lee. The crap they pass for news content is just appaulling.
Old 03-14-09, 12:56 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Doesn't Matt Lauer make somewhere around $15M? What does it matter spending a few 10's of thousands to send him around the country?
Old 03-14-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Oh I know the Travel Channel produces far superior shows on traveling the world. Big fan of Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern.

I'm more just annoyed with the constant excuse of "The Economy" and this seems more like a stunt to once again encourage Americans, who are probably have the money to travel and are okay financially, to stay home and be frugal/cheap this summer especially when the travel industry and world economy needs our money. Just because their is a recession, I need to stay home this year and be cheap. Give me a break.

Plus this is such a high profile morning show with much higher ratings than the Travel Channel.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-14-09 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
If I recall correctly, the last time they did some sort of flying around the world week, gas prices were through the roof and they got called out on that.
Why would the gas prices matter? I traveled to Korea, Taiwan and Japan that summer when Gas was fucking expensive as hell and managed to have a great and affordable vacation for roughly $2500 over 2 weeks.
Old 03-14-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Why would the gas prices matter? I traveled to Korea, Taiwan and Japan that summer when Gas was fucking expensive as hell and managed to have a great and affordable vacation for roughly $2500 over 2 weeks.

I guess some people thought it was wasteful spending. A waste of Jet fuel.
And not really necessary?
Old 03-14-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever. I think it's lame that they're dropping the segment but I get that they don't want to send the wrong message when people are struggling. However, I think that when businesses keep scaling back, especially those that we know can afford luxuries, then it keeps Americans in the depressed mindset of a weakened economy. People could use some outlandish shit to get their mind off the state of things.
Old 03-14-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I'm a producer for a daytime talk show, and I can completely understand why they would do this. Our research shows that our viewers are most interested in local travel and cheap things to do around town. Maybe that bothers you but then again you probably aren't the target audience.

There are a lot of considerations behind the scenes, a lot of bosses involved and a lot of feedback from viewers to consider. On the one hand, the segment could still be pitched as some escapism. But at the same time, it's not a bad idea to focus on more local travel options, since that is more available to people these days.

And maybe they were just looking for a change.