Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox 360 "E71" Error?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBox 360 "E71" Error?

After several freezes playing Tiger Woods online, I finally got an "E71" error with one red ring. Now the console just freezes within a minute of turning it on, every time.

This is my warranty replacement 360 after getting the RROD on a console I'd had for less than a year. Does anyone know if it would be covered under any kind of warranty? I got my replacement around September 2007, so I imagine I'm screwed, but I thought I'd see if anyone had experienced it.

Assuming it is out of warranty and would cost an obscene amount of time and money to "repair" (whatever that means by Microsoft standards), buying an arcade 360 for $199 and just using my old hard drive would be the best option, right?

Edited to add: As much as I'd just like to abandon the whole 360 experience, especially since I have a PS3 as well, I have too many games at this point to not be able to play them.

Last edited by redcat; 03-08-09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-08-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: XBox 360 "E71" Error?

According to: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

E71: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

--==Console Reset Codes==--
Clear All Installed Game Updates and Console Cache

1. Go to the "system" blade
2. Select "memory"
3. Press Y on the HD symbol
4. Press X,X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X
5. A message will appear saying: "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"
6. Select Yes

Clear Any Failed system updates that cause the console to error.

1. With the console off, press and hold the sync up button (the small white one)
2. While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console
3. Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely.
4. During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates, allowing you to use it normally.
Old 03-08-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Thanks for the response. I came across that solution in a couple of places when I searched. The weird thing is that the posts are from 2006, so I'd assume that Microsoft would have fixed that error by now. Of course, that might be a bold assumption considering who we're dealing with.

Nonetheless, my console won't even stay non-crashed long enough to try that. I tried it in crash mode, and nothing. And the syncing process didn't work either. Again, though, I appreciate the response.

Last edited by redcat; 03-08-09 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-08-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Then it sounds like it needs called in.

Sorry to hear it. The build on them does kind of suck but the system is just so damn fun it hooks us anyway.
Old 03-08-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couldn't you still do the awesome wrap it in a towel trick to trigger a three ring and then send it in. Because you are saying it crashes but doesn't shut down so you can leave it on and let it heat up.
Old 03-08-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will it boot without the hard drive attached?
Old 03-08-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
Couldn't you still do the awesome wrap it in a towel trick to trigger a three ring and then send it in. Because you are saying it crashes but doesn't shut down so you can leave it on and let it heat up.
That's a possibility. I forgot about that option from the previous massive RROD thread here.

Originally Posted by sniper308
Will it boot without the hard drive attached?
I tried detaching the hard drive. It didn't make a difference.
Old 03-09-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's the graphics chip. I had the error before too. They partially fixed problems that resolved the overheating isssues leading the the 3 red rings and instead the graphics chip melts. At least, that is my understanding. This happened on my Falcon.
Old 03-09-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shumway
It's the graphics chip. I had the error before too. They partially fixed problems that resolved the overheating isssues leading the the 3 red rings and instead the graphics chip melts. At least, that is my understanding. This happened on my Falcon.
So when it happened on yours, did they replace it for free?

Edited to add: I just called "support" and as predicted, it's not under warranty. It would cost $100 to repair, or I could spend $200 for the arcade XBox and at least get the controller with it and, apparently, the Sega Superstars of Tennis game. Seems like that will be the way to go. I wonder how long this one will last.

Last edited by redcat; 03-09-09 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-09-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whoops, I was wrong... E.74 and not E.71. Mine was still within the year, so it was covered
Old 03-09-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by redcat
So when it happened on yours, did they replace it for free?

Edited to add: I just called "support" and as predicted, it's not under warranty. It would cost $100 to repair, or I could spend $200 for the arcade XBox and at least get the controller with it and, apparently, the Sega Superstars of Tennis game. Seems like that will be the way to go. I wonder how long this one will last.
I was going to post this. I had the E71 error and had to send it in for repair. They fixed the problem and sent back the same unit. I believe you get a one year warranty on the repaired unit. I think you should save yourself the $100 and just get it repaired.
Old 03-09-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by edstein
I was going to post this. I had the E71 error and had to send it in for repair. They fixed the problem and sent back the same unit. I believe you get a one year warranty on the repaired unit. I think you should save yourself the $100 and just get it repaired.

or get it repaired and sell the thing to cut the cost of a new one. Other option is to sell it as is. Does the 360 you have now have an HDMI connection? If not and that's important to you, that may be worth selling the old one and buying a new one.
Old 03-09-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought about that. However, I could use another controller, and with a couple of free games (Sega Tennis and the Arcade Disc), I'm thinking I'll just get the new unit and be done with it.

Originally Posted by sniper308
or get it repaired and sell the thing to cut the cost of a new one. Other option is to sell it as is. Does the 360 you have now have an HDMI connection? If not and that's important to you, that may be worth selling the old one and buying a new one.
The one I have now doesn't have HDMI. Do the arcade models have HDMI now? I was thinking they didn't when they first started selling them.
Old 03-09-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All units have HDMI now. Plus there is a good chance you'll get a unit with the Jasper chip (cooler running).
Old 03-09-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Plus there is a good chance you'll get a unit with the Jasper chip (cooler running).
That would be great if it is cooler running. If Microsoft could just sell me a unit that doesn't melt down into uselessness after a year or so of moderate usage, I'd be pretty happy.