Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

In the Heart of the Sea (2015) D: Howard; S: Hemsworth, Murphy, Whishaw

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-07-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Variety:
Director Edward Zwick has hooked a whale of a tale for his likely next film.

New Regency has set the helmer to direct "In the Heart of the Sea," the fact-based tale of Nantucket whaling ship the Essex, which was stalked and ultimately destroyed by a sperm whale in 1820. Stranded thousands of miles from home, the crew struggled to survive; they were lost at sea for 90 days. Eight were rescued.

The script was written by Charles Leavitt ("Blood Diamond") and rewritten by Ed Zwick and Bedford Falls partner Marshall Herskovitz. They will produce with Paula Weinstein, with Palak Patel exec producing.

New Regency is honing the scriptand has begun planning this logistically ambitious period tale on the open water. The hope is to begin production late this year, with Fox distributing.

Pic is based on the National Book Award-winning title by Nathaniel Philbrick. The sinking of the whaleship Essex was the inspiration for Herman Melville's "Moby Dick."
Old 08-21-13, 03:04 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
re: Heart of the Sea (2014); D: Howard; S: Hemsworth, Murphy, Whishaw

Ron Howard is doing this now. Chris Hemsworth & Cillian Murphy are set to star.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1390411/

Full day of prod & design meetings Rehearsals begin next week

Old 12-22-14, 03:57 PM

Re: Heart of the Sea (2014); D: Howard; S: Hemsworth, Murphy, Whishaw

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jSGcocTLMlk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Warner Bros. released a new trailer for the Ron Howard-directed action thriller, In the Heart of the Sea, which is based on the 2000 biographical book of the same name by Nathaniel Philbrick, and follows the real-life sinking of the whaleship Essex, in the Pacific Ocean in 1820.

Hemsworth plays first mate Owen Chase alongside Benjamin Walker, who plays Captain George Pollard Jr. Cillian Murphy also joins in on the whale mayhem as second mate Matthew Joy, while Tom Holland plays cabin boy Thomas Nickerson.

In the Heart of the Sea is slated for release on March 15, 2015.
Old 12-22-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: In the Heart of the Sea (2015) D: Howard; S: Hemsworth, Murphy, Whishaw

Looks interesting. I will be there on release.
Old 12-22-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great book. Looking forward to this one.
Old 12-23-14, 02:44 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Didn't these guys travel miles in a lifeboat and ended up
Spoiler:
eating each other or something? Is that the ending they are going with? Kind of a downer.

Last edited by dex14; 12-23-14 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spoiler tags
Old 12-23-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Sure hope not, because if it is, then you kind of just gave it away. Thanks!

How hard is it, whenever discussing the ending of something, no matter how old the material, to assume that at least someone isn't familiar with it and put some spoiler tags on?
Old 12-23-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Looks really good. I saw the trailer before and was a little confused about the Moby Dick aspect.
Old 12-23-14, 03:44 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Sure hope not, because if it is, then you kind of just gave it away. Thanks!

How hard is it, whenever discussing the ending of something, no matter how old the material, to assume that at least someone isn't familiar with it and put some spoiler tags on?
Sorry about that, but I'm not even sure I'm sure. I know there was an incident that inspired Melville to write Moby Dick that involved
Spoiler:
castaways in a life raft that resorted to cannibalism,
but I'm not 100% sure this is the incident.

Edit: Did some research to refresh my memory:
Spoiler:
This is indeed the story of the sinking of the Essex by a whale. I remember seeing a doc about the event on American Experience about 5 years ago. Indeed the story is as horrific (or possibly more horrific) than many could imagine. A choice excerpt from wiki:

By February 1 the food had run out and the situation in Captain Pollard's boat became quite critical. The men drew lots to determine who would be sacrificed for the survival of the crew. A young man named Owen Coffin, Captain Pollard's 17-year old cousin, whom he had sworn to protect, drew the black spot. Pollard allegedly offered to protect his cousin but Coffin is said to have replied "No, I like my lot as well as any other." Lots were drawn again to determine who would be Coffin's executioner. His young friend, Charles Ramsdell, drew the black spot. Ramsdell shot Coffin, and his remains were consumed by Pollard, Barzillai Ray, and Charles Ramsdell. On February 11, Ray also died. For the remainder of their journey, Pollard and Ramsdell survived by gnawing on the bones of Coffin and Ray. They were rescued when almost within sight of the South American coast by the Nantucket whaleship Dauphin, on February 23, 95 days after Essex sank. Both men by that time were so completely dissociative that they did not even notice the Dauphin alongside them and became terrified by seeing their rescuers.
Two of the survivors who made it to old age would eventually lose their minds. I remember being blown away by the story, it truly is awful, but I don't know how this could make for an enjoyable night at the movies for most popular audiences.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-23-14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. That's depressing. Sounds great for a film if done well.
Old 12-23-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Does the book have the same name as the movie?
Old 01-14-15, 05:58 PM

Pushed back to Dec. 11, during awards season: http://deadline.com/2015/01/in-the-h...er-1201350331/
Old 01-14-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ A week before Star Wars nonetheless. Won't have much IMAX time if that is the case.
Old 01-14-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, I was looking forward to this. That's a big move ! Judging from Rush digital has really gotten Ron Howard his mojo back, it's seems like movies with a historical backbone (Apollo 13, Frost/Nixon) with a big Hollywood gloss are when he's at his best. Going up against Star Wars doesn't sound like an enviable task for ANY film, but maybe they're hoping it'll be a little counter programming. Probably shooting for awards season too. Hopefully Anthony Dod Mantle will get a cinematography nod this time. IMO, he got robbed, he should've at least been nominated for Rush. Some of the camera work in that was electrifying. Plus, as an English lit major, anything connected to Moby Dick is of natural interest to me .
Old 01-15-15, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, saw a NoirFan thread for a 2015 film and thought he might be posting here again.
Old 01-15-15, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am guessing this must mean the movie is pretty good and they want to release it at a time where it won't be forgotten by awards season.
Old 01-17-15, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I am guessing this must mean the movie is pretty good and they want to release it at a time where it won't be forgotten by awards season.
The better answer is that Chris Hemsworth is box office poison in a non-Thor lead role and the studio would rather release this after Avengers 2, cross their fingers, and coast on whatever residual appreciation he has after that. Releasing this in March, just a couple months after the disastrous opening of Blackhat (it's looking like a pitiful $4M opening weekend, and this is with the publicity he got after being chosen as People's Sexiest Man Alive) would have just resulted in another bomb.
Old 01-18-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I hope it works. I actually saw a new trailer today and it still had March as its release date. I feel kind of sorry for Hemsworth. The man is a fine actor and it's frustrating that nobody wants to see him if he's not playing a superhero.
Old 01-18-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
^ I hope it works. I actually saw a new trailer today and it still had March as its release date. I feel kind of sorry for Hemsworth. The man is a fine actor and it's frustrating that nobody wants to see him if he's not playing a superhero.
It's not just him. Most of the actors in his demographic have the same problem: Chris Evans, Chris Pine, Chris Pratt (probably), Sam Worthington, Tom Hardy, and so on. They'll do fine in their signature franchise roles, but stumble when they have a lead role in anything else. Chris Pine's been a bit smarter lately and has chosen supporting roles in ensemble pieces (Horrible Bosses 2, Into the Woods) so he doesn't suffer the brunt of the blowback if the movie bombs. In the last few years, the only new male actor to have anything resembling true box office power is Bradley Cooper.

Don't feel too sorry for the guy who looks like a god, has a smokin' hot wife, and millions in the bank. He'll be fine.
Old 01-18-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Robert Downey seems to struggle as well, though he has two franchises if Sherlock Holmes stays strong.
Old 01-18-15, 08:22 PM
Banned

I never took Hemsworth really serious till Rush. Though I did like him a lot when he was unknown to me as Kirk's dad. That was a good scene.
Old 02-20-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

US trailer:

<iframe width="720" height="440" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TAqNRH6arUI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-20-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I wanna see this... damnit end of the year though. lol
Old 02-21-15, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Sorry about that, but I'm not even sure I'm sure. I know there was an incident that inspired Melville to write Moby Dick that involved
Spoiler:
castaways in a life raft that resorted to cannibalism,
but I'm not 100% sure this is the incident.

Edit: Did some research to refresh my memory:
Spoiler:
This is indeed the story of the sinking of the Essex by a whale. I remember seeing a doc about the event on American Experience about 5 years ago. Indeed the story is as horrific (or possibly more horrific) than many could imagine. A choice excerpt from wiki:

Two of the survivors who made it to old age would eventually lose their minds. I remember being blown away by the story, it truly is awful, but I don't know how this could make for an enjoyable night at the movies for most popular audiences.
Whoa. That is bleak.
Old 02-21-15, 06:02 AM
Banned

I kind of hope it goes that way. Mainstream cinema seemed to forget that not all good tales end happily. Rush was fucking awesome. I hope Howard and Hemsworth have a success w/ this one too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.