Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Amazon's Video Game Trade In

mattysemo247
03-05-09, 07:19 AM
Went to Amazon today and saw this:

http://www.amazon.com/Video-Games-Trade-In/b/ref=amb_link_83821991_1?ie=UTF8&node=979418011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1K1P0JH2E1MAJGH2AJPK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=471259751&pf_rd_i=409566

It's a nice alternative to EB games and E bay. And having a gift card from Amazon always seems to come in handy.

orangecrush
03-05-09, 07:40 AM
If they require the full pakage, that could be good. However, I will stick with Goozex for now for trading.

wlmowery
03-05-09, 09:45 AM
Amazon also has a 10% off deal. Trade in a game and get a 10% off code for use in the purchase of a game. Only one code per account. But it makes the trade-in a slightly better deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_83797471_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000338861&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=06V23BP2KVRRM5X0NWDC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=471104451&pf_rd_i=979418011

Think I will look through my old games at home.

kms_md
03-05-09, 10:48 AM
Went to Amazon today and saw this:

http://www.amazon.com/Video-Games-Trade-In/b/ref=amb_link_83821991_1?ie=UTF8&node=979418011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1K1P0JH2E1MAJGH2AJPK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=471259751&pf_rd_i=409566

It's a nice alternative to EB games and E bay. And having a gift card from Amazon always seems to come in handy.

thanks for the heads up. i was planning on putting several games up on ebay - this may be much less of a hassle (given how much business i give amazon :) ).

Raul3
03-05-09, 11:17 AM
Not bad, specially since it's free shipping.

kms_md
03-05-09, 11:55 AM
Not bad, specially since it's free shipping.

which i thought was great - i printed out a shipping label, and sure enough, postage is prepaid (although media mail).

Supermallet
03-05-09, 01:47 PM
Wow, I very well may do this.

SunMonkey
03-05-09, 02:11 PM
So who is Amazon buying these for? Themselves? Will they be selling used games soon?

Not that it matters as I like the ease of dumping some older titles.

FatTony
03-05-09, 02:38 PM
I'm all over this.

musick
03-05-09, 02:46 PM
So who is Amazon buying these for? Themselves? Will they be selling used games soon?

Not that it matters as I like the ease of dumping some older titles.

clearly a play to take marketshare away from Gamestop

as stated .... http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/20090305/wr_nm/us_amazon_gamestop

prices even with free shipping still weren't bold enough to make me use them instead of other secondary market sources for selling ... yet

PopcornTreeCt
03-05-09, 02:50 PM
I'm all over this, it's too bad I have some games that I'll never be able to unload. But they had some better than expected prices on some titles (COD:WOW and Ninja Gaiden 2)

Ocelot
03-05-09, 03:27 PM
interesting... Well, is that better than selling the games yourself on Amazon's marketplace? Amazon's commission is a killer, freaking hate it...

kiett_2000
03-05-09, 03:30 PM
interesting... Well, is that better than selling the games yourself on Amazon's marketplace? Amazon's commission is a killer, freaking hate it...

I'm sure you can get a better price from Amazon marketplace for the games. The trade-in price is ridiculously cheap. It kind of makes you want to keep the games instead.

Ocelot
03-05-09, 03:44 PM
^ thanks, no need to go further, case closed for me.

Supermallet
03-05-09, 05:04 PM
The real advantage to this is that you can use the Amazon gift card for any item (unless I didn't read all the fine print). At Gamestop, you can only use it for other games. Plus, anything that takes market share away from Gamestop makes me happy.

The Bus
03-05-09, 05:45 PM
What's that? Ocelot reacting negatively about something?

Ocelot
03-06-09, 12:03 PM
yeah, i'm the negative man, hahaha...

well, if you can make more money by selling on Amazon's marketplace why would you want to trade them in? I don't even understand the motivation behind Amazon's trade-in feature... Are they going to sell used games? I don't think so... Just trying to steal market share from GS? Maybe be. BUT Amazon is already doing that, the marketplace! People are selling used games there... What Amazon need to do is, lower the damn commission to the level of eBay, that's better than offering credits for used games IMO.

p.s. if you're a seller, you tend to compare prices before you do your selling/trading (duh, a little homework goes a long way). For me, if GS got a nice coupon here and there, i go with them. If the particular game can be sold for more on Amazon, i go with Amazon, simple.

e.g. recently GS got the 50% extra trade in credit coupon for Wii games, i used that and got me enough credit for a DSi. Seriously, why the hell i have Endless Ocean in my collection is beyond me, lol... But getting $21 back for it, not bad (i might have paid $15-$20 for it, missed the google/buy coupons).

For Amazon, i've sold Link's Crossbow training for $25 (got it for like $10 in TRU during a promotion or something like that). Well, if i take that to GS, they give me $1 for it or something like that...

@suprmallet, when you sell on Amazon, you get cash, which is even better that Amazon credit and way way way better than GS credit.

So, it's all in the homework...

TheMadMonk
03-06-09, 03:16 PM
From Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=trdrt_list_tac?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200302940

Trade-in Program Terms and Conditions

* Your participation in the trade-in program (the "Program") is subject to the terms and conditions stated below, Amazon.com's general Conditions of Use, Privacy Notice, and all rules and policies for the Program included on Amazon.com, including rules and policies stated in Frequently Asked Questions and Help pages.

* Items you submit for trade-in using the Program are subject to acceptance by the merchant for the Program, NorAm International, a third-party company (the "Merchant").

* Items the Merchant accepts will be purchased from you by the Merchant and you will be paid for the items with an Amazon.com gift card issued for the value of your trade-in under the gift card terms and conditions for Amazon.com's gift card program. We will deliver the gift card to you on behalf of the Merchant by depositing it into your Amazon.com account. You will not be entitled to any other payment for items you submit for trade-in using the Program.

* You represent and warrant that you have the legal right to sell all items you submit for trade-in using the Program, that the items are not counterfeit or stolen and that your submission of them compiles fully with the Program requirements.

* If the items you submit do not meet the Program requirements, as determined by the Merchant in its sole discretion, the Merchant will return them to you.

* You are responsible for secure delivery of your items to the Merchant and neither the Merchant nor Amazon.com is responsible for any loss or damage that may occur during shipment.

* Do not send the Merchant any items that are not on the Trade-In List you generate for a trade-in using the Program. The Merchant will be entitled to dispose of items not on the Trade-In List in any way it determines and is not responsible for returning the items to you.

* You authorize Amazon.com to provide your name and shipping address to the Merchant for use by the Merchant for the sole purpose of returning items to you.

* Amazon.com may revise these terms and conditions at any time and may suspend or terminate the Program at any time.

The fact that it is a 3rd party merchant that is getting and evaluating the games makes me a little apprehensive. I'd prefer it if Amazon was the company behind the whole program, and not just the facilitator.

redcat
03-24-09, 08:42 AM
1 Elder Scrolls IV 1 Xbox 360 $8.00 Gift Card Deposited
2 Dirt 1 Xbox 360 $10.00 Gift Card Deposited
3 Tiger Woods PGA T 1 Xbox 360 $0.00 Returned - Damaged Item
4 MLB 08: The Show 1 PLAYSTATION 3 $7.50 Gift Card Deposited
5 Sonic Unleashed 1 Xbox 360 $15.00 Gift Card Deposited

These are the games I sent in and the reply I got - $40.50 total value. I'm not sure how the Tiger Woods game is damaged, but whatever. Elder Scrolls I played twice I think. I was sucked in by the hype and then realized I had no interest in devoting hundreds of hours to the thing. Sonic I got for $20 and really didn't like it, so I'm glad to have only lost $5. I have no idea how these values compare to Gamestop or whatever, but I live two and a half hours from the nearest place I could trade games in, so this is my best shot. I got some value from games I would never touch again if I kept them, so I'm happy.

PopcornTreeCt
03-24-09, 12:39 PM
I got my games received and deposited very quickly. Little less than 2 weeks from when I mailed it. And today I got the 10% code. I'm satisfied. Probably gonna go for Rock Band 2 if I can use the 10% and the GC money.

PopcornTreeCt
05-10-09, 12:11 AM
Anyone check out the deal this week?

Trade in $50 Worth of Games and get $20 towards a New Release in Addition to your Credit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_84282431_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000372521&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-2&pf_rd_r=0BY8JW8944M9NCY53M3A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=476355311&pf_rd_i=979418011)

Pretty decent deal.

Some of the highlights in the games are Ghostbusters (360, PS3, Wii), Fight Night Round 3 (360, PS3) and Tiger Woods 2010 (360, PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii).

Pointing it out, cause I think it's a good deal. I've been planning on getting Ghostbusters and Fight Night anyway.

7Keys
09-13-10, 09:28 PM
Has anyone been using Amazon to trade in games? How's their reputation?

atxbomber
09-13-10, 09:42 PM
Has anyone been using Amazon to trade in games? How's their reputation?

I've only traded into Amazon once, but it was a recent transaction and I came away very satisfied.