Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with a projector purchase

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-01-09, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be buying a new home soon with a huge family room. My first thought, obviously, is improvemnts to my home theater. I am thinking of getting a projector. Never having had one, I turn to my friends at DVDTalk for help.

I am looking at this one -
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-PLV-1080HD-Definition-Theater-Projector/dp/B001GCUIK8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235966359&sr=8-4

It is 1080p and 2 HDMI inputs which I know I want. The rest I have no idea.
Is it bright enough?
Does it have enough contrast?
Does it have keystone correction?
What is keystone correction?

Is this a good deal or would you recomend something different?
Keep in mind I am getting a newer, higher house payment, so pricing is an issue at this time.

Thanks for any and all help
Old 03-02-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Help with a projector purchase

Nothing in this price range is bright enough to withstand open windows during the day. You have to control the light, get a seriously expensive light cannon, or get a special screen to even have a chance if you want windows spewing light.

Contrast has no standard for measurement, so the specs mean zilch. You'd have to find actual owners for an answer to that.

Keystone is where it can alter the shape to help with spots where you can't install it properly. Commonly used in business meetings with a portable PJ sitting on the table. You don't want to use keystone correction because it will reduce the quality of the picture. Much better to simply install it where it needs to be. So you want to compare the room with the vertical offset and distance requirements to make sure a particular model works for you.

That is a very nice price for 1080p at this time. But using 2 HDMI means running 2 wires to the PJ. You may not want to do that. Fewer the better with a PJ.
Old 03-02-09, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my Epson 6100, $1599 from Best Buy, with open windows in my great room. I have 6 windows and glass sliding doors. This projector is very watchable in Living Room mode. Amazing with the blinds shut.
Old 03-02-09, 05:03 AM

I did a seach for the Epson at Bestbuy.com. It comes up as $1999. Still not too expensive and 5 reviews on the site are positive.

Now atleast I have a couple of options to think about.
Old 03-02-09, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Visualapex is running a sale on the Epson 1080. It's around 1K with a free lamp after rebates.

I have a Sanyo and have been really happy with it for 3-4 years now.
Old 03-02-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw
I am thinking of getting a projector.
Well I love ours. I often mention that I mainly installed ours for "Saturday night movie night". But it has turned into our most used "TV". We have it on every night. Enjoy it not only for movies, but sports and regular TV. And if you are willing to do the work yourself to install, it is inch for inch the best value in displays. You can see my set up in my sig.

You do want light control. You don't necessarily have to get pitch black, but you do want control.

Generally you want to stay away from keystone correction. If you have tough placement issue look for a unit with lens shift (mostly LCD units).
Old 03-03-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by beebs
I use my Epson 6100, $1599 from Best Buy, with open windows in my great room. I have 6 windows and glass sliding doors. This projector is very watchable in Living Room mode. Amazing with the blinds shut.
Ah, yes. They do all generally have a dynamic/torch mode for such usage. I have little use for that, but that's all personal taste. It trashes the color and other settings, so it depends on what you like.
Old 03-03-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by beebs
Ah, yes. They do all generally have a dynamic/torch mode for such usage. I have little use for that, but that's all personal taste. It trashes the color and other settings, so it depends on what you like.