Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : I need everybody's help!!!!!

gglass4269
02-26-09, 12:21 PM
Im doing a project for class that involves making a list of movies every high school student needs to see. Films on my list include Ikiru (dont let life go to waste), Shawshank Redemption (never give up hope), All Quiet on the Western Front(war is pointless), etc... If you could please name a movie and write a litle blurb about why students should see it, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! =)

I already have a list of movies, but I need quotes! That's why I'm asking for everyone's help. Here in Pekin, IL no one at my high school has ever heard of Kurosawa, Godard, etc... So please don't think I'm trying to get you guys to do my hmwk. Help a fellow film geek out please! =) Thanks!

An4h0ny
02-26-09, 12:26 PM
http://888chan.org/i/src/1226537642785.jpg

Wolf359
02-26-09, 12:26 PM
I suggest Schindler's List.

A reminder of what real evil is and how one man can make a difference.

Goat3001
02-26-09, 12:27 PM
Yeah I'm not doing your homework for you. But I'll give you one movie: Ferris Buellers Day Off... if you agree, you can write your own blurb.

riotinmyskull
02-26-09, 12:30 PM
who can kill a child
children of the corn
the brood

Matthew Ackerly
02-26-09, 12:30 PM
Requiem For A Dream - DON'T DO DRUGS!

Ash Ketchum
02-26-09, 12:34 PM
Im doing a project for class that involves making a list of movies every high school student needs to see. Films on my list include Ikiru (dont let life go to waste), Shawshank Redemption (never give up hope), All Quiet on the Western Front(war is pointless), etc... If you could please name a movie and write a litle blurb about why students should see it, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! =)

Take SHAWSHANK off your list and I'll be more inclined to help.

But, there are certain movies that are an indelible part of the culture that should be seen by every high school student that might help them learn a little something about this country and its culture, AND the art of cinema:

KING KONG (1933)
42ND STREET (1933)
GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)
HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) - at least one Hawks
CASABLANCA (1943)
THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946)
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946)
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (1951)
ON THE WATERFRONT (1954)
REAR WINDOW (1954) - at least one Hitchcock
REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955)
THE SEARCHERS (1956) - at least one Ford
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959) - at least one Wilder and at least one Monroe

That should keep them busy for a while.

RyoHazuki
02-26-09, 12:47 PM
You already have a list of movies? What's our job then?

Solid Snake
02-26-09, 12:52 PM
Take SHAWSHANK off your list and I'll be more inclined to help.

But, there are certain movies that are an indelible part of the culture that should be seen by every high school student that might help them learn a little something about this country and its culture, AND the art of cinema:

KING KONG (1933)
42ND STREET (1933)
GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)
HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) - at least one Hawks
CASABLANCA (1943)
THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946)
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946)
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (1951)
ON THE WATERFRONT (1954)
REAR WINDOW (1954) - at least one Hitchcock
REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955)
THE SEARCHERS (1956) - at least one Ford
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959) - at least one Wilder and at least one Monroe

That should keep them busy for a while.

None of those films are films that a High School Student should see. At that age it's all about Pop Culture...King Kong is the only on there that most know about.

I'd go with:
Pulp Fiction
Forrest Gump
Rocky
Goodfellas
The Godfather
The Matrix
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Requiem For A Dream

OldBoy
02-26-09, 12:53 PM
Say Anything...

Count Dooku
02-26-09, 01:45 PM
I think that if I were making a list of movies I would actually screen for a high school class, the movies would be different because I would have to take into consideration the MPAA ratings, and I would include more recent movies because I would be afraid they would tune out anything B/W, or w/out stars they know.

But if we're putting it this way: a list of movies every high school student needs to see

I'll suggest these:

Citizen Kane (1941)
It's the greatest movie ever made, so just watch it, dammit.

The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
A great movie about The Great Depression with important message about the inherent dignity of all people.
More timely today, than ever.

Paths of Glory (1957)
IMHO, the best movie about the madness of war, and a great critique of the authority that sends men to war.

[B]High Noon (1952)
A great movie just to watch. Also a great Western, but unlike most Westerns of the era.
Theme of standing up for what you believe in, even when the public is against you.

To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)
Again just a great movie.
Deals with themes of racism and prejudice, and the perversion of justice.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Really a great movie for students who will identify with the patients who are trapped and subject to the whims of their captors.
Teaches the lesson: QUESTION AUTHORITY !!!

Schindler's List (1993)
Portrays the horrors of the Holocaust, but also demonstrates the importance of hope and the value of one person making a difference.

The Bus
02-26-09, 01:50 PM
Rounders (1998)
Lesson: In the poker game of life, women are the rake man. They are the fuckin' rake.

sauce07
02-26-09, 01:55 PM
Requiem For A Dream - DON'T DO DRUGS!

This is what I came in to post. If this was shown to every freshmen class in America, the nations hard drug problem would stop immediately.

naitram
02-26-09, 02:09 PM
Apocalypse Now (never get off the boat)

Count Dooku
02-26-09, 02:16 PM
This is what I came in to post. If Requiem For A Dream was shown to every freshmen class in America, the nations hard drug problem would stop immediately.

spoilerized due to profane/sexual material

But then you'd have an epidemic of high school girls putting on ass-to-ass, double-donged dido shows.

Ash Ketchum
02-26-09, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=Solid Snake PAC;9293535]None of those films are films that a High School Student should see. At that age it's all about Pop Culture...

The whole point of school is to teach and show kids things they don't already know about, things they wouldn't discover on their own, not to reinforce contemporary pop culture's unholy hold on them.

DthRdrX
02-26-09, 02:20 PM

But then you'd have an epidemic of high school girls putting on ass-to-ass, double-donged dido shows.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

arminius
02-26-09, 04:43 PM

I already have a list of movies, but I need quotes! That's why I'm asking for everyone's help. Here in Pekin, IL no one at my high school has ever heard of Kurosawa, Godard, etc... So please don't think I'm trying to get you guys to do my hmwk. Help a fellow film geek out please! =) Thanks!

Cross of Iron - War is Absurd

SFranke
02-26-09, 05:21 PM
If this is representative of the kind of assignments you are receiving, whatever program you are in is worthless. Do yourself a favor: withdraw, stop wasting your time and get a job.

Drexl
02-26-09, 06:39 PM
If this is representative of the kind of assignments you are receiving, whatever program you are in is worthless. Do yourself a favor: withdraw, stop wasting your time and get a job.

That's a good one for Clerks. :)

gglass4269
02-26-09, 10:59 PM

uh...I'm still in high school man and this is for a drama club..You don't have to come on the boards and dispense your penis envy silent bob like quippets at anyone who dosn't meet your standards.

LickTheABCs
02-26-09, 11:09 PM
Battle Royale.

Kurtie Dee
02-26-09, 11:11 PM
uh...I'm still in high school man and this is for a drama club..You don't have to come on the boards and dispense your penis envy silent bob like quippets at anyone who dosn't meet your standards.

Drop out of high school! ... college costs like, what, a million dollars now? And by the time you graduate we won't have an economy anyway. ;)

But seriously, I always felt like Fast Times At Ridgemont High told me more about making it through high school than anything ...

RocShemp
02-26-09, 11:17 PM

If you meant double-donged dildo, I fail to see the problem. ;) Now a double-donged Dido sounds like something from really sick hentai animé. :yack:

Darknite39
02-26-09, 11:26 PM
Breakfast Club?

Count Dooku
02-27-09, 12:33 AM
If it's for a drama club, you should have them watch INHERIT THE WIND with Spencer Tracy and Fredric March.
It's a great movie, terrifically acted, and educational.

http://www.norelpref.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/inherit_the_wind.jpg

wirefan
02-27-09, 12:51 AM
Dumb and Dumberer

iamiam
02-27-09, 10:14 AM
Alien

In space, no one can hear you scream.

Zen Peckinpah
02-27-09, 11:17 AM
Bad Boys (1983)
Over the Edge
Bowling for Columbine

The Big Lebowski
LESSON: Theodore Hertzell, dude. If you will it, there is no dream.