Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Equipment Purchases

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-00, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the most significant issues that plague the home theater market is choosing the right products. Many people shop for home entertainment because of brand name, recommendation or sales flyers. Rarely do prospective buyers spend time analyzing their needs, lifestyles, room acoustics and operational preferences. Rather than selecting a system beginning with your budget, try to start with these basic questions first.
1) What is most important to me in home entertainment? ie: aesthetics, sound quality, movies, music,etc.
2) What system format best matches my lifestyle? ie: Do I dedicate a specific room for the home theater experience or do I use a general entertaining space (family room) for my home theater enjoyment? Do I enjoy simplicity when entertaining or do I prefer complex arrangements? Will I regularly entertain guests using my home entertainment systems or are my toys for my enjoyment only?
3) What room will I use for my home theater. Is the room rectagular or square? What are the dimensions of my room (L,W,H)What materials are used in the finish of my room (plaster,drywall,wood,etc)? Am I willing to spend a portion of my budget for proper room treatment to increase the performance of my system?
4) Do I enjoy the knobs, bells, and whistles of some of the more complex home theater systems, or do I prefer simplicity? Also are other family members (spouse, kids, etc) electronically inclined as to operate a complex system?

I hope this basic self-analyzing flow sheet will help all prospective buyers to better determine their specific needs before purchasing a big mistake. Please remember that it is always cheaper to buy the right solution once than to buy the wrong solution twice.

If I can be of any assistance, please visit www.bosestore.com and select the contact form

David Myers