Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is it hard to get P-i-P to work correctly with cable?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is it hard to get P-i-P to work correctly with cable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-00, 04:16 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
my friend says it doesn't work at all. I just bought a toshiba with 2 tuner p-i-p and i was hoping all i had to do was get a splitter and then hook up two coax cables to each of the RF inputs. Will this work or am i gonna go thru a headache and a half to get some results? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

--HN
Old 04-11-00, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a single pip. I split the signal before the converter and run that into a secondary vcr's tuner. I will only be able to watch the basic cable channels, not the signals that need a converter in the signal path. The other split signal goes into the the converter and out into my main vcr and all of the cable channels can be seen here.

If you have multiple tuners, you can use a single converter only once, the other tuners could access all of the channels but only the basic channels would not be scrambled.

So yes, of course you can do it, but you can't watch MTV and HBO at the same time.

Oops, edit. If you have more than a single converter, you can watch MTV and HBO at the same time, although one would be visible in the little pip window. If you had two tvs you could watch two premium channels using two converters.

I use the single pip that I have to scan ABC, CBS and NBC, skipping the commercials. Power newswatching.

[This message has been edited by LtlPhysics (edited April 11, 2000).]
Old 04-12-00, 12:13 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, thanks for that info, tho i did have to read it couple of times to fully understand . I guess it wouldn't be too hard to pull it off if the t.v. came equipped with dual tuners. I guess i'll find out in about a week.

--HN
Old 04-13-00, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Toshiba with 2-tuner PIP. I only hooked up the 1 cable connection, and I'm able to watch 2 shows (i.e. you don't need a splitter). It works great for me. If you see three cable inputs on the back, one is Antenna 1 (my cable), one is Antenna 2 (my rabbit ears for when cable goes out), and one is an output. Again, if you have a cable box (I don't), pay channels will be scrambled through the antenna, but PIP allows you to watch a video input (box) and an antenna (cable) simultaneously. Make sense?
Old 04-13-00, 01:28 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh! then the t.v. does it internally (?). dang, i really need to get out of my hole in the wall once in awhile and catch up with technology. Thanks for the info folks.

--HN