Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien Anthology - Oct. 26th

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-19-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The folks over at Bloody Disgusting have an interesting bit of information that we thought our viewers might be interested in hearing. According to their sources, Fox is reportedly working on bringing the first three 'Alien' films to Blu-ray. When they are released - reportedly sometime this year - they will include all new special features developed exclusively for Blu-ray.

We'll stay on top of this story and let you know if any further information is revealed.

Edited to add...
from the digital bits...

Okay, Alien fans... you'll be pleased with this. You may have read at the excellent Bloody Disgusting website today that the first three films in the Alien series are rumored for release later this year on Blu-ray by 20th Century Fox. We've actually hinted previously here that you might see them on BD in 2009. Now, however, we CAN confirm that our industry sources have informed us that Fox's current plans call for not just the first three films, but the ENTIRE Alien Quadrilogy set to be ported over to Blu-ray Disc for a late 2009 release. This would include all four films in the series - the complete set will all extras - and likely new material created exclusively for the Blu-ray release as well. We understand that the work is still on-going and (as always with these Rumor Mill posts) all of this is subject to change. But with a little luck, the Quad set should make its debut in 1080p before the year is out.

Last edited by TylerDurden_73; 02-19-09 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Alien Anthology - Oct. 26th

Great news!!
Man, I hope they're right!

These will definitely be a first hour purchase for me if they include the regular & director cuts from the Quadrilogy set.
If they don't . . . I'll probably just snag the first movie and wait for a deal on the others, (maybe used)

I have huge love for all these films, but BD is just too much cash for double & triple dips.
Old 02-19-09, 11:54 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

First 3? Why not all of them? I know some sucked...but still.
Old 02-19-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In for Alien and Aliens permitting everything's up to speed on the features.
Old 02-19-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
First 3? Why not all of them? I know some sucked...but still.
This post just made my head explode.
Old 02-19-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I actually don't really care if nothings new, just port the quadrilogy over so I can get rid of that accordion-style package! I mentioned this in the New Release thread but the Aliens game is not coming this yr, so no possible cross promotion unless they waited for next yr... But the 30th anni seems as good as any to do them now. Hopefully they just follow what they did with X-men (everything and the kitchen sink included, low price box-set, etc).
Old 02-19-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I still have the original box set and never upgraded knowing HD was around the corner. I will, eventually, get this. But this is Fox. It will probably be bare bones and with a $139.99 MSRP.
Old 02-19-09, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
I still have the original box set and never upgraded knowing HD was around the corner. I will, eventually, get this. But this is Fox. It will probably be bare bones and with a $139.99 MSRP.
I dunno...you seen the X-Men Trilogy pricing? Pretty damn good! (Of course, its because Wolverine is coming out)
Old 02-19-09, 12:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I like taking out the Quadilogy set and folding it out all the way. People freak out at the length. Somehow I doubt we'd get the same cool packaging, so I'm going to have to skip this.

Yes, that's my selling point, obscenely long packaging.

Last edited by E Unit; 02-19-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 12:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Aliens grain in hidef - woohoo!

I'm sure (and hope) these releases, have both the theatrical and extended cuts of the films (I and II)
Old 02-19-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A bit odd to do three of the four. I wouldn't balk at buying the four of them in a set, although I won't despair over not having Resurrection. I'm probably in the minority, though, in saying that barebones is fine with me -- as long as they keep the multiple cuts of each film (especially for Alien 3).
Old 02-19-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rumor: I just came in my pants. A lil' bit.
Old 02-19-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Per Jeff Kleist:

Because Bloody Disgusting doesn't have very good sources, and very poor knowlege of video production. Check out the up-convert comment. Boy are they going to be mad when they see Aliens.

It's very obvious that they're getting this from someone who works in some facility where the Alien movies have come through. Alien 1-3 are much older vintage than Alien 4, and likely doesn't require much work. If they'd been getting it from someone higher up, then they wouldn't be saying it's just the trilogy. Just for reference, Star Trek was being worked on a year ago, literally, and while Alien would certainly be perfect for this year's Christmas bonanza, it's by no means a done deal
Old 02-19-09, 01:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Per Jeff Kleist:

Because Bloody Disgusting doesn't have very good sources, and very poor knowlege of video production. Check out the up-convert comment. Boy are they going to be mad when they see Aliens.

It's very obvious that they're getting this from someone who works in some facility where the Alien movies have come through. Alien 1-3 are much older vintage than Alien 4, and likely doesn't require much work. If they'd been getting it from someone higher up, then they wouldn't be saying it's just the trilogy. Just for reference, Star Trek was being worked on a year ago, literally, and while Alien would certainly be perfect for this year's Christmas bonanza, it's by no means a done deal

party pooper

we can dream can't we?
Old 02-19-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just Alien for me.
Old 02-19-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would certainly go for all if 3 included Fincher's still MIA Director's Cut and all previous extras are included.
Old 02-19-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I would certainly go for all if 3 included Fincher's still MIA Director's Cut and all previous extras are included.
I keep hearing people recommend Fincher's cut. Where are people seeing it if it's not on disc yet?
Old 02-19-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Just Alien for me.
Same for me.

I thought that James Cameron had to approve a new transfer of Aliens though. Is that not the case? Or has he found the time to do that recently?

BTW, I was as big of a critic of Fox's policy earlier on, but in the last several months they've really come around WRT extras. I would be surprised if they don't include a lot of supplements with these.
Old 02-19-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I keep hearing people recommend Fincher's cut. Where are people seeing it if it's not on disc yet?
The extended cut that's currently out there, it was created by the dvd's producers I believe and not worked on by Fincher. So people want to see a true director's cut, but that's never going to happen. Ridiculous to expect it imo, we're lucky they released what they did.
Old 02-19-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Per Jeff Kleist:

This makes a ton of sense. I doubt they'd bow three of the four films (even if only two of them are good )
Old 02-19-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
The extended cut that's currently out there, it was created by the dvd's producers I believe and not worked on by Fincher. So people want to see a true director's cut, but that's never going to happen. Ridiculous to expect it imo, we're lucky they released what they did.
Fincher never got to do a real Director's Cut (the workprint that circulated via bootleg was a very rough cut with incomplete VFX), and he's basically disowned the movie now. So I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old 02-19-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And if Fincher's supposed director's cut is anything like Zodiac, be prepared to be underwhelmed.
Old 02-19-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would it be like Zodiac?!

Or are you just saying that because it's the only other Fincher movie you've seen and it didn't impress you?
Old 02-19-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

In for the first three or all four in a box set if it comes out. Looking forward to hearing this in lossless DTS-HD MA.
Old 02-19-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Why would it be like Zodiac?!

Or are you just saying that because it's the only other Fincher movie you've seen and it didn't impress you?
I think what he means is that the differences in the director's cut of Zodiac were unimpressive to him.

I'll get all four on BD if they put out a box set. It's a stupid thing, but I'd flip for a green case like The Incredible Hulk as well. The main thing that'd be nice is if they included the uncut Alien³ documentary. As noted by IMDb, Lauzirika took his name off of that doc after Fox cut it up to remove some of the more salacious horror stories about the contentious production (it's also noticeably shorter than the docs for Alien, Aliens and Alien: Resurrection) and I'm dying to see the uncut version.

Personally, I love the workprint of Alien³ and any Alien fan who hasn't watched it is doing themselves a huge disservice. Sigourney is especially great in it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.