Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The People vs. George Lucas

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend, Alexandre Philippe, is currently finishing his documentary, The People vs. George Lucas. The trailer is currently up on YouTube. Thought this might be of some interest around here.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aoc3roT81nU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aoc3roT81nU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>
Old 02-16-09, 09:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The People vs. George Lucas

Looks like my old film school dean, Dale Pollock, is in this.
Old 02-16-09, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. I'm one of those people who doesn't hate George Lucas. Shocking! I haven't liked all his decisions he's made i.e. Jar Jar Binks or Greedo shooting first, but I don't understand the hatred out there for him. I know that the day that he passes will be a tough day for me having grown up on his films.
Old 02-16-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks solid. Count me in.
Old 02-16-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its been 10 years since Phantome Menace. Give it up people!!!

I hope George Lucas edits Star Wars & edit out Chewbacca and CGI in Jar Jar just to piss them off more. It would be worth it to hear on the news how some pathetic fanboy commited suicide over it. If 10% of the energy spent bitching over George Lucas was put towards solving the energy issues, the US would be probably have no need for Middle East oil anymore by now.
Old 02-17-09, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Good trailer.
Old 02-17-09, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like a fun and entertaining documentary. Which befits Lucas.
Old 02-17-09, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose rape victims need to speak out on how they felt like their childhood was... raped?
Old 02-17-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks good.
Old 02-17-09, 08:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I can't see the trailer, but this is a great idea for a documentary.
Old 02-17-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

The hatred of George Lucas stems more from his tinkering with the original Star Wars trilogy than making the new trilogy in my opinion.

For those of us that grew up on the OG Star Wars trilogy and bought all those tons of toys, cards, comics, whatever in the 70's and 80's felt betrayed when he decided that those versions didn't exist anymore and only his new (or newest) tinkered versions did. Not allowing the originals to be released on dvd after many years (and then releasing a substandard copy inferior to existing dvds at the time), telling every press person that he didn't give a shit what the fans thought and that he could do whatever he wants with the movies...that started the hatred. He basically gave all of his fans that grew up on the original trilogy the middle finger.

If he had just released the original versions alongside his newer versions, there would have been no big deal. But he started this shit, pissed off tons of fans, and they were ready for blood by the time he released his second trilogy.

Him making the prequels doesn't bother me as I don't have to watch them to enjoy the original trilogy. Him fucking with the original trilogy doesn't bother me. He can paint everyone's hair blue and put Jar Jar fighting Darth Vader on the Death Star. Who cares?

But him not making the original trilogy available, acting like it doesn't exist, refusing to release it in a manner that it deserves...makes me sad and disappointed. The OT was a HUGE part of my childhood and millions of other kids. Now I never watch the movies and don't even consider myself a fan anymore. I don't feel he raped my childhood. I feel he made my childhood enjoyable and exciting in many ways. It's just sad I don't get to have that feeling as an adult.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-17-09, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks interesting. No release date yet?
Old 02-17-09, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Looks interesting. No release date yet?
It's still in production. I'll try to update the thread as I learn more.
Old 02-17-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good stuff
Old 02-17-09, 05:58 PM
Banned

Every fan base has a group who hates what the producer has done with their product.
In Luca's case the prequals had good support at the box-office.
Only when that cartoon came out this past year did he get really hurt at the box-office.
As for being raped by Lucas. You paid to see his product so it was consent.
Old 02-17-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Looks good. I'm one of those people who doesn't hate George Lucas. Shocking! I haven't liked all his decisions he's made i.e. Jar Jar Binks or Greedo shooting first, but I don't understand the hatred out there for him. I know that the day that he passes will be a tough day for me having grown up on his films.
Agreed. If I ever have the chance to meet GL, I will thank him for what he created, not micromanage his every decision.

That said, I will definitely try to see this. I'm a sucker for docs like this.
Old 02-17-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Eh, I don't really see the need for a documentary... maybe like a retrospective on his career with one section on the mixed reactions to reworking the OT, and the PT. How many times can people say the same thing, esp when Lucas has already (for the most part) explained his decisions.
Old 02-17-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're his films, he can do what he wants with them. Cry if you don't like it ffs
Old 02-17-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More like a bunch of forty-year-old blaming Lucas for their inability to recapture their childhoods.
Old 02-17-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,828 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Every fan base has a group who hates what the producer has done with their product.
In Luca's case the prequals had good support at the box-office.
Only when that cartoon came out this past year did he get really hurt at the box-office.
As for being raped by Lucas. You paid to see his product so it was consent.
Isn't this considered prostitution?

Anyway, fanboy docs are always good for a little fun. I'd love it if Lucas released the OT in pristine, unadulterated form, but EVs, he can do what he wants. I'm not totally keen on revisionist history, however. It sort of defeats the purpose of the creative impulse - at some point you have to put it out there and let it be. Maybe the fanboy who can't 'let go' is Lucas himself.

I'm bummed by the fact that Lucas seemed to lose his talent as he went on ...
Old 02-18-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks great.
Old 02-18-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks pretty fun.
Old 02-18-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds pretty dull. What new information/arguments could they bring to this?
Old 02-18-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
The hatred of George Lucas stems more from his tinkering with the original Star Wars trilogy than making the new trilogy in my opinion.

For those of us that grew up on the OG Star Wars trilogy and bought all those tons of toys, cards, comics, whatever in the 70's and 80's felt betrayed when he decided that those versions didn't exist anymore and only his new (or newest) tinkered versions did. Not allowing the originals to be released on dvd after many years (and then releasing a substandard copy inferior to existing dvds at the time), telling every press person that he didn't give a shit what the fans thought and that he could do whatever he wants with the movies...that started the hatred. He basically gave all of his fans that grew up on the original trilogy the middle finger.

If he had just released the original versions alongside his newer versions, there would have been no big deal. But he started this shit, pissed off tons of fans, and they were ready for blood by the time he released his second trilogy.

Him making the prequels doesn't bother me as I don't have to watch them to enjoy the original trilogy. Him fucking with the original trilogy doesn't bother me. He can paint everyone's hair blue and put Jar Jar fighting Darth Vader on the Death Star. Who cares?

But him not making the original trilogy available, acting like it doesn't exist, refusing to release it in a manner that it deserves...makes me sad and disappointed. The OT was a HUGE part of my childhood and millions of other kids. Now I never watch the movies and don't even consider myself a fan anymore. I don't feel he raped my childhood. I feel he made my childhood enjoyable and exciting in many ways. It's just sad I don't get to have that feeling as an adult.

Just my two cents.
Well said.
Old 02-19-09, 05:25 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

100% agree.

Back in the 80's, Lucas made the Ewoks & Droids cartoons, and no one cared then and doesn't care now, so the stuff outside the OOT that I don't like doesn't bother me.

The whole OOT 'doesn't exist' crap, or 'sorry you fell in love with a half completed movie in 1977' crap is insulting to every fan who was there back then. I don't see Lucas giving back half of that money he took from us to build Skywalker Ranch?

What Lucas should have done with the inception of DVD back in 1997, was put out bare-bones (fully remastered) versions of the OOT and SE at the time, so every fan can have the version they want. Then if he wanted to release other updated versions years later with more bonus stuff and new CGI, then it would be up to the fan if they would want to buy it. The same goes with BluRay, put out a BluRay set of the OOT and SE, and then do whatever the hell you want to the movies, heck you can even put in Jar Jar in Episode III hanging out with baby Luke on Tatooine!

I have never seen a director have so much angst towards parts of fanbase. Would Tarantino talk like that to his fanbase? Ron Howard? Steven Spielberg? All of these guys got crap for atleast one of their movies they put out by the fans, so Lucas isn't the only one, yet Lucas is in that Lucasranch Cave and totally out of touch with what SW fans really want.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.