Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is Pixie & Raite the same DVD player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is Pixie & Raite the same DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-00, 02:34 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry if a dumb question. I know there's been posts about Apex vs Raite. Now I found out there is something called Pixie which looks very much like the Raite. Although one place I saw it says AVPhile 711, as pixie, while another say AVPhile 715 again as pixie. That's y I'm confoosed. Do they have the same "secret" menu & sound/image quality? Please help.

Thanks,
fu510n
=)
Old 04-09-00, 09:24 AM

Sorry I have no answer to ur query but I have one of my own:

Why does one need a region free dvd player - where do u get dvds for other regions - and why - r the costs lower elsewhere in the world ? or other regions have other dvds not available in US? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-09-00, 10:06 AM

I'm not sure i I can answer this or only add to the confusion. I purchased a Raite 715 when the whole Apex/Raite thing came out and recently was in a CompUSA selling the "Pixie." These pixies were the 711 model which does not support MP3s, is an older model, and they were selling it for about $100 more than I paid for the 715 (of course they had old Toshiba 1208's at $400).

Do NOT buy the 711 model. About eight months ago one of the AV mags did a review of the 711, and to some it up in one word, it was "bad." There is a significant performance difference between the 711 and 715. While the 715 isn't a reference player, it does hold up as a budget player. The 711 is another story. The 711 will only give you performance around that of a first generation Laserdisc player. Avoid the 711.

I don't know whether the 711 as the "features" of the 715. But even if it did, I would not recommend it. So buy at your own risk.
Old 04-09-00, 08:08 PM

The Raite AVfile 711 does have the ability to change region code. Very similar to APEX but there is not really a menu just the region code you can change. I can change to code 2 and not be able to read my DVD's. I've only had for a day and only am using stereo output so no idea of sound quality. Image quality is OK but subject to jerking when the scene changes radically. Does anyone have info on how to disable the Macrovision?
I want to send the signal through my VCR and it's RF modulator so I can watch on any TV in my house.

Old 04-09-00, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 711 does NOT have the special features of the 715. And yes, Pixie is the company that has licensed Raite in the USA. If you need service/tech support, you actually contact Pixie.