Reload this Page >

Best Codes For Blu-Ray Movies

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 02-13-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like many..I am really only interested in Blu Rays. Thought we could have thread to list what codes would work out best for those interested in "best price average per BD"(shipped) even if SD's have to be part of deal.
Old 02-14-09, 12:48 AM

Re: Best Codes For Blu-Ray Movies

right now nothing, i would wait for the next b1g1 blu-ray deal, we are well due.The b1g1 (second movie cannot be a blu-ray )is almost always ongoing if you want it soon.
Old 02-14-09, 09:38 AM

the bogo free ship they had was great if you want catalog blu rays.i picked up king kong blu ray with zombie diaries sd for an $11 average.also pick up history of violence blu ray with supercop 2 disc sd for little more than a $10 average.not as good a deal for newer titles unless you are willing to do 1 new release bd and a new release sd.then it would be like $15 average..
Old 02-14-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't "average" SD costs with Blu-ray costs when talking about CH. That's mixing things that have different relative values.

At CH, if you cycle regular club accounts, you get regular DVDs for an average of $5 each. That means if you spend $20 to get a Blu-ray and a DVD, then the Blu cost you $15 and the DVD was $5.

At CH, all DVDs that are available as enrollment selections (or eventually will be) OR have a club price of anywhere from $12.95 to $19.95 have a base value of $5 ($4.80 to be more exact--or, if you use one of the more unusual enrollment codes, like the B9V 1+5:1 code, possibly a little less). If you spend $23.97+5.99 in shipping with a B1G1FS code to get a TV set and a regular DVD, then the set cost you $23.97+5.99-4.80=$25.16; using a box set FS code with no G1 means the set cost you $23.97. Getting a miraculous convergence of deals that allows a B1G1 to work with free shipping on your entire order (including the box set) would mean it cost you $23.97-4.80=$19.17.
Old 02-15-09, 09:07 AM

no,take my order king kong bd and zombie diaries sd.kk amazon's cheapest price is 19.95,best buy might have it on sale for 14.95.i saw zombie diaries for 14.95.if it were on sale for 10 bucks i'd buy it at best buy.king kong will never be on sale for under 13-16 bucks plus sales tax.if it where 15 bucks i'd buy it.whether irs 10-10 or 15-5 you still make out.MOST people buy at b&m stores.thats the standard.the only sd's i want are certain horror movies not on bd and the weinstein dragon dynasty releases.so its better to pick and choose sd's
Old 02-15-09, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cheato
You can't "average" SD costs with Blu-ray costs when talking about CH. That's mixing things that have different relative values.

At CH, if you cycle regular club accounts, you get regular DVDs for an average of $5 each. That means if you spend $20 to get a Blu-ray and a DVD, then the Blu cost you $15 and the DVD was $5.

At CH, all DVDs that are available as enrollment selections (or eventually will be) OR have a club price of anywhere from $12.95 to $19.95 have a base value of $5 ($4.80 to be more exact--or, if you use one of the more unusual enrollment codes, like the B9V 1+5:1 code, possibly a little less). If you spend $23.97+5.99 in shipping with a B1G1FS code to get a TV set and a regular DVD, then the set cost you $23.97+5.99-4.80=$25.16; using a box set FS code with no G1 means the set cost you $23.97. Getting a miraculous convergence of deals that allows a B1G1 to work with free shipping on your entire order (including the box set) would mean it cost you $23.97-4.80=$19.17.
If you spend $20 on a Blu-ray and a DVD, just get a dvd that you can sell on ebay for around $15. Then your Blu-ray only costs $5.
Old 02-15-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Sorry, but that's a ridiculous statement. You could also theoretically get a free DVD that you could then potentially sell for $100 in the future. Does that make the Blu-ray -$80? When you calculate things like this, you use the idea of commonality--things that everyone shares. Not everyone sells things on eBay (and that's getting harder to do and still make a profit), and for people that may want to sell only a couple things, the incremental cost in time and energy is great, offsetting the "profit" greatly.

The reality is that everyone reading this forum is looking for a deal, and the vast majority (check the recent poll) are looking to optimize their accounts through cycling. Cycling means that you get DVDs for $4.80. Not that you profit by selling them on eBay (which violates the contract you make with CH in the first place, and which CH puts limits on potential to do via maximum numbers of copies you can get of any title).
Old 02-15-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ksyblues
no,take my order king kong bd and zombie diaries sd.kk amazon's cheapest price is 19.95,best buy might have it on sale for 14.95.i saw zombie diaries for 14.95.if it were on sale for 10 bucks i'd buy it at best buy.king kong will never be on sale for under 13-16 bucks plus sales tax.if it where 15 bucks i'd buy it.whether irs 10-10 or 15-5 you still make out.MOST people buy at b&m stores.thats the standard.the only sd's i want are certain horror movies not on bd and the weinstein dragon dynasty releases.so its better to pick and choose sd's
Please try to use capitalization and spaces or line breaks between sentences. You don't exactly make it easy for someone to read what you're writing.

I'm not going to go deeply into a discussion about this, since you seem to be new, so I'm just going to say that you need to spend a little more time here and read the big CH threads a bit to understand the mathematics of optimizing accounts.

Zombie Diaries is worth $4.80 through CH. There is no debate about this. If you cycle an account, you get 11 DVDs for $4.80 each, and that can include Zombie Diaries if you want it, since it's a regularly-priced $19.95 DVD.

King Kong Blu-ray is $22.46.

If you get FS on your order, and use a B1G1 code, and use the Blu-ray to count as one of your two fulfillment credits, that means it cost you:
$22.46 (the price)
-$19.95 (the price of a regular DVD that you won't have to buy)
+$4.80 (the value of the free DVD that you get by using the B1G1 code)
=$7.31.

If you get FS on your oder, and use a B1G1 code, and your are NOT getting a fulfillment credit with KK, that means KK cost you:
$22.46
-$4.80
=$17.66.

If you didn't get FS on the Blu-ray, that would add another $2.99.

As I said in my initial post, you can't average together costs of Blu-rays and DVDs when talking about CH. It makes no sense, mathematically.

In addition, comparing to BB or Amazon is useless for items that are available from CH. The base value of $4.80 is the comparison point, not what BB or Amazon has it on sale for in a given week. And it doesn't matter what MOST people do. It only matters what YOU do. MOST people aren't accessing YOUR bank account. Throwing money away is throwing money away. Just because MOST people do it doesn't make it a rationalization for you to do it. MOST people aren't reading this forum and trying to get the best deals possible on DVDs, but apparently YOU are. The "standard" you believe exists has no meaning here.

Lastly, don't say something will "never be on sale for $13-16." Sorry, but that's incredibly naive. There was a thread about 2-3 months ago in the regular Deals forum where somebody said something about how the Friends Complete Series set would "NEVER" go below $100. That turned into a flame-skirmish, and the mods stepped in and deleted a bunch of posts. And guess what? During the last month it did go on sale and was available for slightly less than $100 final cost.
Old 02-15-09, 03:48 PM

i guess you dont have blu ray,because the only cheap blu rays are crap echo bridge and lionsgate.so even at 15 thats pretty good for catalog blu ray.iamlegend asked for some help.once you go blu you go all the way.which means you dont want 6 sd dvd's.
Old 02-15-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm dialing 911 right now to get the grammar police back over here.
Old 02-16-09, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i guess you dont have blu ray,because the only cheap blu rays are crap echo bridge and lionsgate.so even at 15 thats pretty good for catalog blu ray.iamlegend asked for some help.once you go blu you go all the way.which means you dont want 6 sd dvd's.
wtf?
Old 02-16-09, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
wtf?
Yeah... um...

What? Am I missing something from that post?
Old 02-16-09, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So glad I took the time to write out a reasoned reply last time. When will I learn...

One last try to clear up the confusion:

Originally Posted by ksyblues, translated
I guess you don't buy Blu-rays, because the only cheap Blu-rays are crap from Echo Bridge and Lionsgate. So even at $15 (should be $17.66) for catalog titles from other studios, that's pretty good. IamLegend asked for one place to store information on finding the best deals for Blu-ray at CH. Once you go Blu, you go all the way, which means you don't want 6 (note: should be 9) SD DVDs.
You're right, I don't buy Blu-rays, as I think they're a waste of money. I have a PS3 (old version with PS2 hardware built-in) and have purchased 0 Blu-rays. My next step after DVD is not buying anything that will take up space in my house. If "once you go Blu, you go all the way," then that means you'll be missing out on a lot of titles because I'm going to go out on a sturdy limb here and say that there will be MANY titles on SD DVD that will NEVER be available on Blu-ray.

IamLegend specifically asked for " "best price average per BD"(shipped) even if SD's have to be part of deal."

So that's what I showed. 9 DVDs at $4.80 each and 2 Blu-rays, each for (Blu-ray cost - 19.95 + 4.80). Repeat until you're out of things you want to buy.

If you can use a code for a B1G1FS that includes Blu as the G1, then that means 7 DVDs at $4.80 each and 4 Blu-rays, each for (total Blu-ray cost - 2x19.95 + 4x4.80)/4.

Summary:
Enroll 6:3 regular club, use B1G1FS Blu-ray codes to get:
6 DVDs at final value $4.80 each.
6 Blus at (Blu cost - $19.95)/2 + 5.67 each.
(e.g., $22.46 Blus cost you $6.93 ea.)

Enroll 7:2 regular club, use B1G1FS Blu-ray codes to get:
7 DVDs at final value $4.80 each.
4 Blus at (Blu cost - $19.95)/2 + $4.80 each.
(e.g., $22.46 Blus cost you $6.06 ea.)

Enroll TV club with HDL, use B1G1FS Blu-ray codes to get:
2 sets at final value $15.33 each.

Enroll TV club with regular offer, use B1G1FS Blu-ray codes to get:
2 sets at final value $20.33 each.

If the FS doesn't apply to any of those deals for the Blus, add the shipping costs into your average.
And, obviously, if you are in one of the states that has to pay sales tax...

Also, if the G1 doesn't apply to Blus, add ((total Blu-ray cost)/6 - 9.11) to the average cost of Blu-rays using 6:3 enrollments.
(e.g., $22.46 Blus cost you $9.05 ea.)

If the G1 doesn't apply to Blus, add ((total Blu-ray cost)/4 - 9.98) to the average cost of Blu-rays using 7:2 enrollments.
(e.g., $22.46 Blus cost you $7.31 ea.)

If you are not using the Blu-ray purchases to fulfill accounts, then add another:
$8.62 to each Blu compared to 6:3 accounts
or
$10.36 to each Blu compared to 7:2 accounts
That accounts for the loss in value of the discounts you get when cycling accounts (i.e., the opportunity cost you pay by not cycling).

As more time passes, more codes will come along, and the deals will be better, and if the club truly expands to offer decent enrollment in a Blu club, then you'll see much better deals. On the other hand, if the current owners have their way, you're just as likely to see CH go bye-bye altogether.
Old 02-16-09, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And for those that do not want to cycle accounts at all or anymore (me) keep one account open to take advantage of GREAT individual deals (b1g4ffs, b1g1fs on DVDs and HD/Blu, where the b1 title was a title that would drop off since it would never be released to CH making it a completely free order, and free DOTD and recent DOTD DVDs comes to mind). Also, if you don't mind Great Fun trial offers (available as a link when you cancel your director's selection or when you make an order) then you can get "$20 off" your order. You can open more than one Great Fun trial if you have more than one credit card. Just switch around the card you have as your default in your account (or if you use bill me just specify which credit card you mean to use on the trial sign up page). The only "hassle" is you have to print out an order receipt (I use the ones in my order history) and rebate form (link sent to your email a couple days after trial sign up) and send in to Great Fun. You also have to call them and cancel within 30 days (just say no thanks 3-4 times while listening to their spiel for a few minutes). Not worth it to some I know, but to me it is when combined with a b1g1fs deal or maybe even a b1g1 since you don't have to purchase that many as you do for a whole account through cycling.
Same type of deal (only Travel Values Plus ($10), Shopper Discounts & Rewards ($10-$15) and Reservation Rewards ($10) instead of Great Fun) is available at deepdiscount.com combined with cashback through live.com. The advantage with their deal is that you only email your order receipt for rebate and you can cancel their trial online.
Also there are some really good Blu-Ray deals sometimes like the Bond one with over $100 off when you bought 10 from a list at Amazon after BF.

Last edited by sotra; 02-16-09 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-16-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am definitely buying bd only and sd for tv or stuff that just wont see hi def.
Old 02-19-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IamLegend
I am definitely buying bd only and sd for tv or stuff that just wont see hi def.
Ditto. Problem is, I need to stop upgrading so many SD's to BD. Certain movies with great special effects I can possibly justify, but I am upgrading too many. I just can't pass on good BD bargains, even when I should...
Old 02-20-09, 11:26 AM

For me, upgrading is a title by title basis. For example, I hadn't planned on upgrading to the BD of GHOST, and then I read some of the reviews and thought it would be worth it. I was blown away. It was like seeing the movie for the first time. Completely outdid my expectations. So even when I look at my current collection and think "Nahhh, probably won't upgrade" regarding certain SD titles... who is to say I won't when the actual discs get released? Assuming the upgrade isn't that amazing (Terminator franchise on BD, I'm lookin at you...) I will hold off, but when a decent upgrade is released and I can find it at a lost cost... (With the $10 rebate on GHOST I paid about 3.xx when all is said and done) I very well might upgrade in certain situations I hadn't planned on.
Old 03-10-09, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato
^ Sorry, but that's a ridiculous statement. You could also theoretically get a free DVD that you could then potentially sell for $100 in the future. Does that make the Blu-ray -$80? When you calculate things like this, you use the idea of commonality--things that everyone shares. Not everyone sells things on eBay (and that's getting harder to do and still make a profit), and for people that may want to sell only a couple things, the incremental cost in time and energy is great, offsetting the "profit" greatly.

The reality is that everyone reading this forum is looking for a deal, and the vast majority (check the recent poll) are looking to optimize their accounts through cycling. Cycling means that you get DVDs for $4.80. Not that you profit by selling them on eBay (which violates the contract you make with CH in the first place, and which CH puts limits on potential to do via maximum numbers of copies you can get of any title).
I'm not talking about making profits off anything and I'm not saying to do that all the time.

If I send CH $20 for a Blu and a regular DVD, I could sell that DVD if I don't want to keep it and leave it at that. If I sell it for $15 then I only have $5 vested in the my BD.

It doesn't have to be on ebay, it can be on here or to a friend or even traded for something else.
Old 03-10-09, 04:37 PM

well put happyrabbit...
Old 03-10-09, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Ditto. Problem is, I need to stop upgrading so many SD's to BD. Certain movies with great special effects I can possibly justify, but I am upgrading too many. I just can't pass on good BD bargains, even when I should...

Let me know that works out for you.

I am having the same problem now that I have made a conscious decision to upgrade to blu-ray. I've dropped a grip over the last couple of days, finding deals and whatnot and the only saving grace is that I my next wave of BD purchases are either sets, of which I am not yet ready to spend another couple hundred bucks on just yet (give me two days lol) or the movies are not yet released on BD.

But I have a question for you (I feel like I am about to sound like the dope-man trying to feed your habit).. When you see a "good deal," do you find yourself comparing it online to other deals or do you just move on it immediately?
Old 03-12-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. I thought this would be an interesting thread topic. Turns out it has gone completely OT rather quickly. Sad.
Old 03-12-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^That's because there is no "best" code for Blu-ray Discs most of the time. Unless you want to list 50% off or 60% off sale offer codes that are routinely available and amount to really poor deals. The "best" code would likely be a BOGOF plus free shipping offer that works on Blu-ray Discs. Such codes have been rare. The next best was the recent sitewide BOGOF sale that included Blu-ray Discs, but didn't have free shipping. Barring a glitch, those would be the best deals and that doesn't change. If some new wrinkle develops it will be widely discussed in several threads.

If you are interested in enrollment codes (you didn't say in the OP), the Blu-ray only enrollment is a poor deal. The best enrollment codes are the usual 7:2 codes and the much less common 1:5:1 codes. For the purpose of BD purchases, the extra fulfillment in a 7:2 code is a better deal. It might even be an advantage to use it as a 6:3 account. Again, nothing new there.

Since you are annoyed by the off-topic discussion, I will remove my posts and ask others to do the same. But that won't help the fact that there is nothing germane to discuss on this topic at present.
Old 03-12-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the question. Apparently there is no best code at the moment.
Thanks also to some who provided very useful information.
And to others just writing gibberish ... no comment.

Closing thread.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums