Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dolby Digital with Sony S500 DVD Player & Sony STRDB930 Receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dolby Digital with Sony S500 DVD Player & Sony STRDB930 Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-00, 11:23 PM
Modfather

Can someone help me? I have a Sony S500 DVD player and a STRDB930 receiver and am a real non-audiophile. I have 5 speakers hooked up, but no sub. For some reason, my receiver will not switch to Dolby Digital, and stays on Pro Logic. Also, what Theater sound should I select? I went into the setup of the DVD player and selected output of Dolby Digial, but the receiver still doesn't see it. I know this stuff is in the manual, but I can't find my DVD player manual...

Any other general setup help would be more than appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-06-00, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1. Have you hooked up the digital audio output from the DVD player to the digital audio input to the receiver? It'll be either a conventional RCA jack or a little square jack that has a fiber optic cable in between the ends (a TOSLink cable). Connect the appropriate cable to the appropriate digital audio input on the receiver (DVD/LD - I would think that's what you should be using for the DVD input). To trouble-shoot, disconnect the left/right analog audio outputs from the DVD player (they are usually the white and red RCA connectors on the cable) so that you know that the only possible sound source from the DVD player is coming from its digital audio output to the receiver.

2. On the receiver's Sound Field, select AFD to begin with (I don't deviate much from AFD when listening to DVD soundtracks). With no subwoofer, you will need to set your front speakers to "large", or you'll get tinny sound with no bass.

3. From your DVD player, make sure it's outputing a Dolby Digital bitstream (your model will not output a dts bitstream, so don't even entertain the thought of getting dts DVDs to work with your DVD player).

4. For each DVD you play, you have to go to the language/soundtrack menu selection and make sure you select it to play the Dolby Digital 5.1 (if that's what it has) track, otherwise you'll be relegated to Dolby 2.0 or 1.0 (mono) for some older films.

5. Play the DVD, and you should get the nice wide blue light on the receiver to get lit up while playing the DVD with a DD5.1 soundtrack.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs