Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

To Wega or not? Pt. 2

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

To Wega or not? Pt. 2

Old 03-31-00, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thank everyone for their comments in the previous post, but have a few more questions (now that I have decided).
First off, I think I have decided to wait for the 2000 models of the Wega to show up (note: yes, I looked at the Toshiba 40" and while I was impressed, ). So in the time being, I will just stick with the Sony 27" that I currently have.
So now onto the questions:
1. Does anyone know about what time of the year Sony releases new models
2. Based on the Yahoo article about the new Wegas coming out, in your opinion, would it be worth the extra $$ to purchase the high end model that is HD TV compatible (the 36XBR400)? It says it requires the use of an external box to make it do the HD TV stuff, but it does support it (or so it looks to me). Here is what they are saying: "Equipped with Digital Reality Creation Multifunction circuitry, the televisions can enhance today's NTSC broadcasts by displaying images as 960i or 480p, as well as 1080i/720p with an external set-top box."

Thank you to everyone in advance...
Old 03-31-00, 11:45 AM

As to the FV and XBR expect all of them to be in by September. I think August/September is a reasonable time frame.
Old 03-31-00, 01:16 PM

August / September sounds about right from what I have read as far as availability goes....

As a side note... if you end up buying one and need to have it adjusted or serviced (as you almost always have to at least once) be sure to check out the service provider carefully.

Just because the guy might be a Sony authorized service provider doesn't mean he knows much about Wegas (trust me here, I am speaking from experience).

Good Luck,
RightD
Old 04-01-00, 12:29 AM

I have no idea when sony's come out, and who really cares. I do know that all HDTV's come ready and need boxes to get in the signal. No tv that I have heard of has a built in box. If you don't get HDTV, why buy a new tv that cost a fortune?

Verns Man
Old 04-01-00, 06:01 AM

There is a lot of confusion about which sets are true hdtv because different manufacturers have different phrases. But a TV that says "HDTV" is a true hdtv and will need no additional set top box to recieve and process the digital signal. "HDTV-ready" sets have all the same features but will require the external box. Most of these TV's also have progressive displays and upconvert 480i signals to 480p signals, and can accept native progressive signals from a prog scan dvd player. Large screen tv's that say nothing about hdtv have no higher resolution capability, and in my opinion are waste of money at this point, they just give you a larger version of the same picture.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-00, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At this point it is foolish to buy a HDTV that has the decoder built-in! With OTA standards changing and the advent of cheaply priced HD satellite receivers it makes no sense to pay $2000+ to get the decoder built-in. These sets have nothing extra except the decoders so it is not worth it.
Old 04-05-00, 04:27 AM

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000075.html
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000213.html

Something like the box mentioned in the above post will get your HDTV ready XBR some HDTV signals (and pictures) for less than $500.

The Dish 6000 set top box will allow you to recieve both OTA (over the air HDTV-where applicable) and sat HDTV (HBO/Showtime)

I agree with FrankS. It is better IMHO to buy a HDTV ready set at this time and supply it with your own decoder box while the format is still in its early stages. But, if you can afford the $$, then why not?

Keep an eye on the HDTV and DBS forums at www.hometheaterforum.com to learn a lot more about it.